The future of Taming

Lexington

Grandmaster
Honestly , i think its a good idea !

Firstly , its gives power gamers to go for high end tameables ! Tamers who find it too hard can just stick with the current pets . Some players like to dream big !

Just becoz you WONT SPEND MORE THAN 10 MIL on items doesnt means others wont . Some people buy honda , others Ferrari .

This will take the game in the same direction as other MMORPGs that never end. I'm not sure that follows UO nostalgia.

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
**SUGGESTION on how to implement this**

Rather than increase the skill cap and add more PS to the game, why not make tamer-specific quests that will allow you to earn whatever it is devs are planning on adding? Say they are planning to add more meta pets that require higher skill; let's say a meta-falcon or something, that evolves and becomes bigger and bigger, turns into a griffon, etc. Instead of making this require 130 skill, how about a quest for the griffon egg that starts in one town, and you have to journey all the way across the world, into a dungeon, then defeat a boss who is defending it (or something). And you need 120 taming/lore to even start the quest. Make recall & gate disabled for the player once he starts this quest, so now he has a several-hour journey, and a tough boss to kill just to get his egg.

This avoids over-inflating the market with new items yet still allows players to feel excitement and achievement for earning their egg. Also they can actually look forward to it without the dread of laying out more millions for eggs/scrolls any time a new meta pet is added. A quest system avoids all the unforeseen economy problems. The base idea behind meta pets should be to *reward the player* by adding more *fun things to do* after reaching that point in the game. The meta pet items have already had a stock-market-crash effect on every other facet of the economy, and I fear adding even more over time will continue to do the same thing. Once we have PS's fetching in the tens of millions, no one is going to buy anything else because everyone will be hoarding money and the entire game will slump and become lop-sided towards taming (though to the dev's credit I doubt they'd let this happen, I'm just making an example).

The general idea is to implement some sort of gameplay-grind for new taming rewards instead of an item grind. The leveling system for the meta dragons is a good example, where the player has to actually be out there in the game fighting and earning his new evolutions, for days or weeks, slowly tracking his progress, until he finally reaches lv7. That is the perfect kind of reward for a game like this -- gameplay driven. The emphasis for end game content should be on encouraging deep gameplay, not just farming gold to buy newer and bigger things.

Last edited by a moderator:

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
It baffles me that people seem to think that just because the cap may be going up, people automatically *have* to get those PS now, and if they are too expensive then they'll just abandon the character. Like, what? Why do you have to be at cap for everything? What did you make a tamer for to begin with? There is a whole methodology to MMO's that drives me crazy where if it's not the absolute BEST, top-tier, best you can have in the game, players think it's shit and don't even want it. Just be happy with your 120. If you choose to go 130 then fine, or if you want to go to 140 that's fine too, but 120 taming is still b*tchin' and you can have tons of fun in the game still. It should be about whatever is fun for you, that's all. There is always someone out there who's better than you, richer than you, has better stuff than you, etc etc and who doesn't even use forums so you'll never know who he is. You will just never be the best, it's impossible to prove or to know for sure, so why race to be the best?

On another note though, I don't really like this idea either. It's becoming where there is a base game that encompasses everything non-tamer, then this weird, mega, bloated counter-game called taming where PS's cost millions, pets cost millions, everything costs millions and millions, and the most valuable non-tamer thing in the game is like an 18x18 for 800k. It is actually dissuading me from playing a tamer, I just think it's way too much emphasis in one part of the game. I would rather see BODs for more craft skills, end-game treasure hunting, more places to explore, more open-seas incentive, more specific spots for group pvp, and probably a dozen things I can't even think of before we see another huge update to taming.

End rant
^this. this. this.

I cannot agree more. I love the way skills work in this game and the flexibility to change things up.

However..

I couldn't put my finger on it but this is the great divide that exists in uof. The costs and demands of everything tamer based (and even the time to train it) are astronomical. Everything else is cake comparatively. It's odd to think I could train probably a dozen (or more) characters and buy a castle in the time and costs of completing one tamer. Just don't have millions and millions of gold and 400+ hours to train one skill. Maybe one day though :)

Sent from my Huawei Y301A1 using Tapatalk

lollo

Grandmaster
as @edw3rdwood said, all this meta/relic bullshit already ruined the economy. Right now everything is dirt cheap unless it's a high end dono items (and i'm sure the admins are happy about this) or has the "taming" "egg" or "relic"word in it's name.

The rares market right now in almost non existent, you have to sell everything at dirt cheap prices and even then, no one will buy because everyone spent/wants to spend 15 milion on their stupid ass meta dragon.

130-140 ps is only going to make this worse, but whatever

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
Hence, I will most likely not have a tamer. I simply don't ever foresee a day I have millions upon millions of gold to spend like that. Maybe I'm just pessimistic and subjugated to the lower class of UOF :D

lost

Grandmaster
Now that 120 is pointless they need to increase so people will buy 120.. but damn screw that my tamer has been hella expensive n another 4 PS and 20 taming SS.. stage 6 ftw

Don Key

Master
**SUGGESTION on how to implement this**

Rather than increase the skill cap and add more PS to the game, why not make tamer-specific quests that will allow you to earn whatever it is devs are planning on adding? Say they are planning to add more meta pets that require higher skill; let's say a meta-falcon or something, that evolves and becomes bigger and bigger, turns into a griffon, etc. Instead of making this require 130 skill, how about a quest for the griffon egg that starts in one town, and you have to journey all the way across the world, into a dungeon, then defeat a boss who is defending it (or something). And you need 120 taming/lore to even start the quest. Make recall & gate disabled for the player once he starts this quest, so now he has a several-hour journey, and a tough boss to kill just to get his egg.

This avoids over-inflating the market with new items yet still allows players to feel excitement and achievement for earning their egg. Also they can actually look forward to it without the dread of laying out more millions for eggs/scrolls any time a new meta pet is added. A quest system avoids all the unforeseen economy problems. The base idea behind meta pets should be to *reward the player* by adding more *fun things to do* after reaching that point in the game. The meta pet items have already had a stock-market-crash effect on every other facet of the economy, and I fear adding even more over time will continue to do the same thing. Once we have PS's fetching in the tens of millions, no one is going to buy anything else because everyone will be hoarding money and the entire game will slump and become lop-sided towards taming (though to the dev's credit I doubt they'd let this happen, I'm just making an example).

The general idea is to implement some sort of gameplay-grind for new taming rewards instead of an item grind. The leveling system for the meta dragons is a good example, where the player has to actually be out there in the game fighting and earning his new evolutions, for days or weeks, slowly tracking his progress, until he finally reaches lv7. That is the perfect kind of reward for a game like this -- gameplay driven. The emphasis for end game content should be on encouraging deep gameplay, not just farming gold to buy newer and bigger things.

tl;dr

But the answer, is development time. It would be so much easier to just raise a cap and add harder tamables.

I agree though. Someone above mentioned end-game stuff. UO never had an end-game. That was the beauty of this game.

NoXXeD

Grandmaster
Now that 120 is pointless they need to increase so people will buy 120.. but damn screw that my tamer has been hella expensive n another 4 PS and 20 taming SS.. stage 6 ftw

no!!! if you are gonna have over 120 you should not be able to SS it. You should have to work and grind it. Meta pets and shit are op as hell against players. Them fucking things hurt. Death beetles...they fucking hurt against players too!

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
In the spirit of this whole "moving forward" thing, and only slightly off topic, why not refocus development on other skill sets instead of continuing with the pokemon stuff? Raise taming to 140? What?

Why stop there? Just go taming 200. I've got a 200 taming PS for sale. 25 billion s/b. 50 billion b/o.

Laugh. That's what the damn thing would cost lol.

PC Loadletter

Journeyman
In the spirit of this whole "moving forward" thing, and only slightly off topic, why not refocus development on other skill sets instead of continuing with the pokemon stuff? Raise taming to 140? What?

Why stop there? Just go taming 200. I've got a 200 taming PS for sale. 25 billion s/b. 50 billion b/o.

Laugh. That's what the damn thing would cost lol.

I sympathize. It seems like the amount of attention and focus of dev/admin resources is disproportionate, both in relation to the number of skills/activities in game and especially compared to the number of players who have 120 tamers, which can't be a huge proportion of the player base.

Don Key

Master
On this shard, taming is the carrot on the end of the stick.

It makes perfect sense that they would devote time and engery in evolving taming

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
I sympathize. It seems like the amount of attention and focus of dev/admin resources is disproportionate, both in relation to the number of skills/activities in game and especially compared to the number of players who have 120 tamers, which can't be a huge proportion of the player base.
I certainly love uof, don't get me wrong. I play and enjoy what the devs have done like everyone else. Give or take the whining. Scratch that. Take the whining, I changed my mind.

But honestly, I'd love to see some development with other skills.

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
On this shard, taming is the carrot on the end of the stick.

It makes perfect sense that they would devote time and engery in evolving taming
I'm not biting then. The carrot on the stick, that is.

I've still got that 200 taming PS for auction if anyone is interested. Cheap too. I'll lower the b/o to 40 bill from 50 bill [emoji12]

FingersFinn

Grandmaster
expect 140 taming in the near future.
From the horses mouth
Well, seeing as 120 is already considered "legendary", what will 140 be?

Next question. When are gym badges coming?

All kidding aside though, I just hope that in the future some love will go to other skill development. At this point making any template besides a tamer is at most, what, 50k? And I'm talking regs for gm magery/res spells. What's the cost of a tamer maxed? 50 mill?

I ain't got that kind of money. Could farm it after the 600 hours training or buy it outright in dono coins. What's that though.. exchange rate and all.. almost $1200 give or take?

Is there 120 magery here? Hook me up. I'd love a better than 50% EV cast chance. I'll take that pokemon. Less to worry about :)

exince

Grandmaster
Adam was in irc yesterday talking about a "wand of control". It should boost how your pets listen to your commands. To use it, you'd have to use a charge of that wand. Wands can be recharged like pet summon balls (with donation coins of course).

Not sure he was serious but well... what do you think? /discuss