Thanks Tyler Memphis! I R RICH NOWZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bromista

Grandmaster
i probably even have screenshots of you setting up traps with your alt tamer and casting fire and poison fields so that your pets wud attack whoever goes through them :>

on a different note: he doesn't seem to care. He has been set up with Butler access, and apparently that is all he needs for now.

PS: @Slick Brick is still a raging white trash nerd
I liked all of this but white trash raging nerd was my favorite part.

Silly Santa

Grandmaster
@Slick Brick May the people who loot your idoc one day - show you the same "respect" by posting it up on the forums and gloating.

I hope they not only post SS's... but a video of them picking up and banking all your trammy shiny pixels.

Slick Brick

Grandmaster
i probably even have screenshots of you setting up traps with your alt tamer and casting fire and poison fields so that your pets wud attack whoever goes through them :>

on a different note: he doesn't seem to care. He has been set up with Butler access, and apparently that is all he needs for now.

PS: @Slick Brick is still a raging white trash nerd
1367976837_you-mad.jpg

wreckognize

Grandmaster
I was given a small house when I first started and it didn't kill my drive at all. Just gave me a nice safe place to move stuff around between my characters. It was a small sandstone house in serpents pass, I in turn gave it to a new guild mate when he first started UOF. I don't think giving little starter houses hurts anything. Heck the house I live in now started as a villa that @AssHat gave me since he was moving to a new place. I've turned it into a custom house and I still have ambitions for it and for owning a 18x18 fully stocked.

It all depends on the person and just what their goals in UOF are.

I pretty much disagree with this. Things like first house, or first GM skill, everyone shares those goals.

By the way let me know when you finally get that 18x18 you want. I'll be interested to know if you had it given to you as well or actually bought it on your own. ^^

Weland

Grandmaster
I pretty much disagree with this. Things like first house, or first GM skill, everyone shares those goals.

By the way let me know when you finally get that 18x18 you want. I'll be interested to know if you had it given to you as well or actually bought it on your own. ^^
I'm going to buy it on my own :) The houses are the only thing that were given to me everything else I have from my own work. The first was with in the first week of me joining UOF and the other through a friend. I've almost bought a few 18x18s but my friend keeps me focused on saving up for a QS relic. I have close 2.2 Mil now and 1.8 mil in dono coins :). So you are free to disagree with me but I think you are just being narrow minded ^^

LoNE WoLF

Master

This entire argument is a matter of opinion which means there is no right or wrong answer. Maybe it's a bad thing for some players or maybe it's a good thing for some players. It's all dependent on who they are. Arguing over opinions is a waste of time.

*sidenote* slick never dropped me any huge items or anything like that but he has helped me tons with advice. He was the first red to mess me up on this server and he is the only red that had the respect to res me after and spare my pet. So as per his prior comment about being a red that helps new players, I can vouge for that.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
I'd prefer to call it debating if that's ok with you. I also think any information has value so I disagree that it's a waste of time to debate.

That said I personally have spent time on several freeshards, many of which I have had both half the population in my guild and an excess of gold, including this server. One thing I learned very early was how players who return to UO (from the 90's especially) value the nostalgia of placing their own first house and gaining their skills by themselves. In my experience people who get their first house from a friend don't stick around.

There's plenty of other evidence to support my theory, aside from just witnessing it myself. Take for example a certain few large korean guilds. From what I've seen basically one or two people will come and make 30 accounts, to help convince their friends to come. So you could say it helps bring players to do such a thing. But what really happens is they all come, they have no sense of community or love for the server, and then they all vanish leaving the original members who made all the accounts all the stuff they earned idocing etc. I've seen this countless times.

On slick rezzing and returning pets.. Now this is also debatable. You're biased to say that this is the best thing he could have done just because it was the best case scenario for you at the time. Something I have done countless times is trap new players pets, and then sell them back cheap (5k per). In this case, they get to learn the dangers of using their pets in areas with housing, instead of thinking everyone will be as nice as slick was. And believe me there are people who will charge 100-500k for a pet depending on the stats, as much as there are people willing to pay those prices.

If I convince at least one person that giving new players a slayer weapon or regs is far better in the long run than giving them houses and skill scrolls then it's definitely not a waste of time. When you give somebody a large house when they are brand new you are stealing the early stage nostalgia away from them, something which reinforces their overall experience.

The best example I can think of is in fact @Weland in the sense that the first thing he will earn himself is the most endgame item we have here, which is also the most expensive, and so he was basically set on a mindless grind as soon as he stepped on the scene. We will see if he makes it.

Weland

Grandmaster
lol I was given a house and that is it. I made a Legendary blacksmith/tailor out the gate to gear my dexer and tamer. I leveled taming to 100 and have a meta pet that I acquired.

You didn't pick a very good example my friend :) I have been working multiple characters toward multiple end states and all that was given to me is a communal place to dump everything instead of swapping between banks. Which as I've stated in another forum a low level house isn't hard to acquire anyways, takes 2 days of fighting mobs to get enough skills to farm simple mobs to get enough for a basic house. Even if some one gave me a big house then it wouldn't have amounted to much since again all it is a place to show off pixels that I've earned and a communal place to put stuff for all my characters.

The 18x18 that I hope to have one day after I've reached other goals will be something for me to build up and show off. I was poking fun at you with the narrow mindedness so I apologize if I upset you.

Edited: Also I did offer to pay for the current house that I have but through relationships that I established with other players he offered it to me since we've been teamed up for a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

LoNE WoLF

Master
I'd prefer to call it debating if that's ok with you. I also think any information has value so I disagree that it's a waste of time to debate.

That said I personally have spent time on several freeshards, many of which I have had both half the population in my guild and an excess of gold, including this server. One thing I learned very early was how players who return to UO (from the 90's especially) value the nostalgia of placing their own first house and gaining their skills by themselves. In my experience people who get their first house from a friend don't stick around.

There's plenty of other evidence to support my theory, aside from just witnessing it myself. Take for example a certain few large korean guilds. From what I've seen basically one or two people will come and make 30 accounts, to help convince their friends to come. So you could say it helps bring players to do such a thing. But what really happens is they all come, they have no sense of community or love for the server, and then they all vanish leaving the original members who made all the accounts all the stuff they earned idocing etc. I've seen this countless times.

On slick rezzing and returning pets.. Now this is also debatable. You're biased to say that this is the best thing he could have done just because it was the best case scenario for you at the time. Something I have done countless times is trap new players pets, and then sell them back cheap (5k per). In this case, they get to learn the dangers of using their pets in areas with housing, instead of thinking everyone will be as nice as slick was. And believe me there are people who will charge 100-500k for a pet depending on the stats, as much as there are people willing to pay those prices.

If I convince at least one person that giving new players a slayer weapon or regs is far better in the long run than giving them houses and skill scrolls then it's definitely not a waste of time. When you give somebody a large house when they are brand new you are stealing the early stage nostalgia away from them, something which reinforces their overall experience.

The best example I can think of is in fact @Weland in the sense that the first thing he will earn himself is the most endgame item we have here, which is also the most expensive, and so he was basically set on a mindless grind as soon as he stepped on the scene. We will see if he makes it.

You are entitled to your opinion. As is everyone else. Telling someone their opinion is incorrect is ignorant no matter how you spin it or how much "evidence" you throw at it.

Your opinion is based off your experience. @Weland opinion is based off his experience. My opinion is based off my experience. So on and so forth.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
At the very least debating this subject has boosted my oppositions like count thanks to my ever-expanding hater fanclub. You're welcome Weland my good man.

More on this subject though, it's true Weland is the perfect example for what I'm saying. He's basically jumped right into end-game goals from day 1. Those endgame goals are incredibly boring, farm 10 mill for quicksilver just so you can farm another 10 mill.. pointless..

Now imagine if slick dropped some of these newfound riches on a new player. House, blessed clothes, tamer ss, you name it. This guy starts the shard and all the sudden doesn't need to farm. I can't imagine many people starting up a new game, excited to sit at the bank and show off l33t items rofl. Well except myself of course, but I've already mastered everything there is in UO since my 10 year break after 99.

Anyways, lets be honest. There's no point in arguing with me because you wrong dawgy. If you can't see how giving away too much too soon to these newbies is a bad thing then you're not much more than newbies yourselves.

Bromista

Grandmaster
You're not winning at anything if you have everything and nobody.
Direct quote from a guy who literally had not one person to play UO with.

Kinda surprised Trin took you in, but it goes to show ya they'll give any newb a chance.

No offense to true UO newbs.

This should help out anyone who may be taking your comments seriously.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
As the saying goes,

give a man a fish, and he will come asking for another fish. Teach a man to fish, and he will catch his own fish.

GimpCent

Grandmaster
As the saying goes,

give a man a fish, and he will come asking for another fish. Teach a man to fish, and he will catch his own fish.

We did that and now nearly all the fish are gone...

I am sorry but some folks are going to have to die now

Status
Not open for further replies.