Should the Britain Safe Trading Zone

Should the "pocket of Trammel"(Britain Safe Trading Zone) be removed from the server?

• Total voters

SpyderBite

Expert
There are hundreds of Safe Zones on the server already. Your homes.

As a thief I do not use scripts and never have. Perhaps I'm the only one. So creating a safe zone to prevent cheating is really throwing the baby out with the bath water.

I have always taken a conservative stance when it comes to developer/programmer involvement with gray areas like this. Instead of letting the community figuring out a solution, or educating new players; a mini trammel is set up.

That's a slippery slope in my opinion.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
I was gonna type up a long, passionate response but it would just be pissing into the wind. Most of the players on this server are just here to PvM with as little risk as possible, which is why they clamour for these safe zones wrapped in guard zones surrounded by NPC's with x-ray vision. There will always be more popular support for such things (because people want things easier), and staff will never change it because it makes them more money. Just the way it is I suppose.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Ehhhh -- its fine as it is.... it helps people log in and see how populated the server is not to mention that it makes the economy 10x more robust/viable as not everyone is scared to buy/trade items knowing they will be script stolen immediately.

I never understood thieves in UO -- why steal 1 item when you can kill someone and take all their items.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Ehhhh -- its fine as it is.... it helps people log in and see how populated the server is not to mention that it makes the economy 10x more robust/viable as not everyone is scared to buy/trade items knowing they will be script stolen immediately.

I never understood thieves in UO -- why steal 1 item when you can kill someone and take all their items.

The benefit of having a safe zone on Britain bank is a wonderful move when it comes to advertising the server activity, the issue and only issue with it, it is considered a safe zone. Regardless what we say and do, this will not change now. If I was Shane, I wouldn't change it either. Still, it does give us thieves something to talk about, complain about.

Again, we have this misconception what thieves are about. Okay, we have the thief who steals that one item, we also have thieves that steal for the role-play elements and we have thieves that steal for all the reasons above. Imagine yourself as a thief, you have just noticed a commotion and you want to investigate. You stealth over to the source and realize you have stumbled upon a 'secret' meeting of sorts. Gates open, you enter and appear at someone's house who is moving stuff around, locking items down etc, Kaching... When you have had your fill, you decide to check a dungeon. The dungeon has lots of action with reds and blues fighting it out. You decide to not pick sides and steal from both and get chased. You survive somehow, bank your stuff and head for a walk in the wilderness. You come across a couple of players hammering on an Ettin, you investigate and steal some gold from them, they chase you around until they realize you never tire, they give up and you carry on exploring.

The example above does not truly ruin someone's game play, you have stolen a few items, killed no one and have given other players the chance to enact revenge on you. If you die, you lose a few regs, the items you have stolen and remain grey until the Criminal Status wears off. Obviously this is different if you steal a relic, powers scroll etc.

If you play the thief completely about wealth, you will get that wealth, but you will lose a fundamental part of what actually being an Ultima Online thief is all about. The thief gets to meet people from all walks of life, PVP players, PVM players, Crafters, rare collectors, other thieves and everything else in-between, they are also wonderful sources of information. I get the appeal of why people PK, PVP etc, would be nice if people understood the appeal of the thief.

Deadpool

Grandmaster
Just leave it alone. Who cares. If you want to spend all your time thieving at Brit Bank, then you're an unoriginal, shitty thief. BOOM.