Shane - Meta Crafting

I believe that it should be about crafting and resource gathering. Any defense/offense skills that come with it should be minimal. I don't have any wish to have my miner doing champs.

So, if we are talking a suit or mech like thing, here are some options for it:

Faster resource gathering
More secure storage on it(like beetle)
Automatically ups to next resource level( like prospector tool)
Be able to select the Slayer you want to make
Maybe while in it you can get all th benefits of Brit Crafting area.

Just some thoughts.

Now if we are gonna call this thing a pet. Then that's a little different. I would say that it would require 120 crafting skill, no taming required. Each crafting skill would be a different pet/skill. If you have more than one 120 skill, you can Mix and match the abilities of the pet. The "pet" would require to be fed resources to heal faster and be happy. But you can feed it completed both to make it stronger.

At that point, yes I believe you could use this for champs. But I do think that it should mainly still be for crafting and gathering. So maybe in order to use it for chps, you need to feed it a bunch of some rarer resource.

Again, just throwing out some ideas

Swango

Apprentice
My resource gathering characters don't have crafting skills. My 120'd crafter can't squeeze in skill points for mining or lumberjacking.

Nekronos

Master
Something that allows you to recycle/redeem BOD for a reroll type effect would be cool

Anything that impacts actual crafting / resource gathering

Pllllleeeeeeeeaaaaaaaassssssssssseeeeeeeeeeeee nothing PvM directly related pllllllleeeeeeaaaasssssseeeeee

This is what happens when you work 12 hours, ya can't explain yourself clearly.

I meant 120 crafting/gatherer skill. And maybe you could do completed bods or x amount of a resource.

Wolfe1st

Apprentice
Just my humble .02 cents, but I think anything that would turn our crafters into any sort of PVM character is a mistake. There are some solid updates above that explain good meta bonuses that would be helpful for us crafters. We have plenty of slots available to us for PVM chars.

girana

Grandmaster
cant wait for a upgrade to my metapets allowing them to craft ;);).

i bet this gone fuck up sallos noobs so its great.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
It's not a pet.

You will be able to test it and give feedback before it's implemented.
No worries at all- I've been working on this idea for a long time.

I never thought of it as a "enhanced resource gathering" aspect, but you guys have brought that to light for sure which i think is a good addition.

Other than that as far as most people are concerned the " CRAFTERS ENSEMBLE " is something that has not been promoted, advertised or anything. It's simply been idea's thrown around thus far and something i've noted we are working on. With that said we work on a lot of stuff and not everything hits live server/in game.

More information on this will come soon... It's awesome there's a ton of interest for sure!

Elizabeth Gold

Grandmaster
*MAIN CONCERN* It will be PVM focused:
A lot of skills, items and all the existing meta/tali's are designed for PVM. Do we really need another PVM option? I'm sure you have some great and innovating idea's that would make this another interesting option. Since people chose to actively play a crafter rather than all the other options, this should be an indicator that they don't want to PVM and do something else for a change. While I agree that many of the crafters out there are mules, there are several players that focus their playerstyle around them (example: me profiling as a miner). If it's a PVM tool, it won't offer anything exciting to them.

It will be a construct that needs to be placed inside a house:
Interesting idea, still trying to wrap my head around that - so many questions! If your house collapses, will it be gone or can it be looted? Can it be relocated inside a home or to a different home? Could you 'repack' it when moving to a different home and is it tradeable? If not, what happens when you demolish your house, can you recover it? Do you have to be owner or friend to use/place it and what if you lose the friend access? Can it be accessed by multiple characters who meet the requirements or is it bound to one character? Can you have multiple constructs stored in a house? Does it only fit in customizable houses or also the classic ones?

Skill interaction with the construct:
I can imagine you tied several crafting skills into this construct but what about non-crafting skills? Example can you use hiding skill while the construct is active? How about magery, will it be limited to travel spells or can you also cast other spells while in it? How about on use skills, like lockpicking (god know what wierd templates ppl come up with) or mining?

Relics:
As I understood from chat, it will start with a few relics and you consider adding more over time. I can imagine the current idea's are also PVM focussed. Perhaps this would create new options move away from a pure PVM meta. I'm not in favor of increasing existing crafter abilities as it would put non meta crafters are a serious disadvantage. Example, lets say you add a new quality label 'masterfull' that overrules 'exceptional'. Nobody wants 'exceptional' gear anymore once 'masterfull' is available on the market. Therefor I suggest to open up crafter options that do not compete with the existing alternatives but offer something entirely new. Example:
Shredder: Requires 120 lumberjack skill to be active - adds a [level]-based chance of harvesting a new wood type.
Constructor: Requires 120 carpentry skill to be active - adds new [level]-based craftable options using granite and the new wood type (walls, stairs, tiles).

Leveling:
Not sure how this is going to turn out, but I catched something about requiring a lot of ingots (=good for my business!) but I feel this might create a lot of incentive for people to start afk botting. I do welcome some competition/people in the mines because it's getting pretty lonely out there with elementals turned off again. If level is to be done by PVM, we are again dealing with the first issue: crafters craft because they want to do something else besides PVMing.

Firecrest

Grandmaster
Utilize the soul forge.
Add making special armor craftable.
I wouldn't mind a special ore to be spawned inside dungeons, or like an rda.
Alchemy 120 with no adjustments for x plode potions.
Stuff like that. Obtainable but not overly annoying.

Also stop giving hard to craft deco items as handouts.

Or just delete the soul forges and put them under carp and make min 120 tinkering.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
*MAIN CONCERN* It will be PVM focused:
A lot of skills, items and all the existing meta/tali's are designed for PVM. Do we really need another PVM option? I'm sure you have some great and innovating idea's that would make this another interesting option. Since people chose to actively play a crafter rather than all the other options, this should be an indicator that they don't want to PVM and do something else for a change. While I agree that many of the crafters out there are mules, there are several players that focus their playerstyle around them (example: me profiling as a miner). If it's a PVM tool, it won't offer anything exciting to them.

It will be a construct that needs to be placed inside a house:
Interesting idea, still trying to wrap my head around that - so many questions! If your house collapses, will it be gone or can it be looted? Can it be relocated inside a home or to a different home? Could you 'repack' it when moving to a different home and is it tradeable? If not, what happens when you demolish your house, can you recover it? Do you have to be owner or friend to use/place it and what if you lose the friend access? Can it be accessed by multiple characters who meet the requirements or is it bound to one character? Can you have multiple constructs stored in a house? Does it only fit in customizable houses or also the classic ones?

Skill interaction with the construct:
I can imagine you tied several crafting skills into this construct but what about non-crafting skills? Example can you use hiding skill while the construct is active? How about magery, will it be limited to travel spells or can you also cast other spells while in it? How about on use skills, like lockpicking (god know what wierd templates ppl come up with) or mining?

Relics:
As I understood from chat, it will start with a few relics and you consider adding more over time. I can imagine the current idea's are also PVM focussed. Perhaps this would create new options move away from a pure PVM meta. I'm not in favor of increasing existing crafter abilities as it would put non meta crafters are a serious disadvantage. Example, lets say you add a new quality label 'masterfull' that overrules 'exceptional'. Nobody wants 'exceptional' gear anymore once 'masterfull' is available on the market. Therefor I suggest to open up crafter options that do not compete with the existing alternatives but offer something entirely new. Example:
Shredder: Requires 120 lumberjack skill to be active - adds a [level]-based chance of harvesting a new wood type.
Constructor: Requires 120 carpentry skill to be active - adds new [level]-based craftable options using granite and the new wood type (walls, stairs, tiles).

Leveling:
Not sure how this is going to turn out, but I catched something about requiring a lot of ingots (=good for my business!) but I feel this might create a lot of incentive for people to start afk botting. I do welcome some competition/people in the mines because it's getting pretty lonely out there with elementals turned off again. If level is to be done by PVM, we are again dealing with the first issue: crafters craft because they want to do something else besides PVMing.

0Qcvz7l.jpg

PVM and Crafting benefits.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
Why not a little of everything? UO has always been about playing a game with hard choices to make.. this template for this activity, that template for that activity, I mean that's the reason there are 21 accounts right? Why not just let people have every skill, and play every template all on one character? It's really not the game we're playing here.

From another perspective, why not do a little bit of both? Doing a little bit of both, takes away the focus of the one. If two relics are focused on PvM, and two on crafting, then the crafting meta is missing out on making half the relics useful, and PvM already has many talismans.

I will say I'd be very interested in seeing what a little bit of both in your vision looks like.. Because my mind just isn't getting there on it's own right now!