Shane - Meta Crafting

Xiulan

Master
Will the mecha suits or whatever you call 'em be able to be sold like a pet or will they be character-bound like a talisman? I don't have a single crafter on my accounts and am not really interested in making one, but if crafters could make and sell these suits I might buy one just to try it out.

cups

Grandmaster
I like it. You can still be a pure crafter who doesn't pvm. This just makes it so if a player was new here and they enjoyed crafting they could "main" a craftsman as their first character and eventually branch out and use their crafting skills to fight monsters. I have played so many shards over the years and a lot of them have faced problems with lack of player vendors with crafting items like house addons and furniture. Giving people more incentive to have crafters could help keep that from happening here.

Firecrest

Grandmaster
My main has always been a crafter.
I am interested in seeing the meta crafter. I don't wanta negative approach, I dont believe most people do. I think what a lot of people would like is to know what is going on, if it still fits and it will affect current crafters.

I am actually okay with adding new stuff.
I don't really like that to get fleching you have to be a monster hunter in a monster hunting system that clearly has issues.

I want nothing but the best for the shard, all players and to not take over a role that is already there.

Morkani

Neophyte
I was kinda hoping this suit would have different abilities based on the crafting skills the user has, example, blacksmithy is used to heal it, fletcher gives it ranged attacks, alchy gives it's projectiles explode dmg, mining/lumberjacking gives it resource gathering bonuses, so on, there's a lot of options there, (especially if it required more than just the skill but a quest or relic needed for each as well) spitballing there, but i think this concept has a lot of possibilities. and a way for the suit to not just be a "cookie cutter" build thats the same from one user to the next.

Lexington

Grandmaster
I was kinda hoping this suit would have different abilities based on the crafting skills the user has, example, blacksmithy is used to heal it, fletcher gives it ranged attacks, alchy gives it's projectiles explode dmg, mining/lumberjacking gives it resource gathering bonuses, so on, there's a lot of options there, (especially if it required more than just the skill but a quest or relic needed for each as well) spitballing there, but i think this concept has a lot of possibilities. and a way for the suit to not just be a "cookie cutter" build thats the same from one user to the next.

I don't think the abilities are set in stone by any means. What I can tell you for sure is... crafting SS and PS are going to skyrocket in price the day its released.

Ghostl00l

Novice
My first character on this server was my crafter, and I love playing him! That out of the way I do not think it needs to have a required skill to make the meta, more of the crafter can make the type of relic/upgrade for it and so on. I feel like if you make it to where it requires a special ore as a special drop you will just have the big zerglings pop in and the solo crafter is left high and dry, a lot of the crafters or people who like that part of the game are often solo players. I think the most important part of the crafting meta is that it should really benefit the crafter in crafting, and not be gated behind something like 120 smithing and 120 tinkering, if it needs a gate let it be something like 2 gm crafting skills and at least 1 120 crafting skill.

Sir.

Grandmaster
0Qcvz7l.jpg

PVM and Crafting benefits.

Why not both? Not to sound like a jerk, but because blatantly crafting is not PvM. Making a "progression system" that forces a playstyle to play differently is not sandbox anymore. Freedom... I see a lot of posts here referring to some conversation or post that I do not know of. I've heard rumor through grapevines bout mech-suits for crafters. Unless it is purely craft/harvest driven suits, don't do it unless they can be traded/sold to anyone (and yeah, keep balance in mind, they can't be too overpowered).

The one challenge I see here is that a "crafter" can be many "professions" whereas a meta dexxer just uses different tools to do the same task. Maybe this relic should have x amount of "general" crafting relics and a selection of relics to choose from to "specialize" in a trade (blacksmithing vs tailoring for example)?

But as for the talisman itself, if anything I think as a "crafter" I'd like to boost my "workshop"... Maybe soulforge or a new-forge that you can place in your house and you can "add" onto with relics. Elizabeth Gold tabled a lot of questions that should obviously be covered (what happens when u demolish house, it falls, etc... like a vendor, goes into bank, np).
1. Maybe one relic allows your station in your house give the same effect as the brit crafters area more and more as your tali levels up.
2. Maybe another relic allows you to make "rare" deco items (as a carpenter) that require specific ingredients (but don't neglect this list and add to it every 6 mo or something) and more items are unlocked as it levels.
3. Maybe another relic lets you make "rare" aesthetic cloth (as a tailor) that require specific ingredients (like MotM cloth maybe or something) for items you can't regularly make on the tailoring list and aren't on the dono vendors and gives more access to more items as it levels.
4. Maybe another relic lets you make "rare" aesthetic armor (as a blacksmith) that has 0 ar and u can med through, but is unblessed (more reason to buy more CBD's from dono vendor or the market as a gold sink) and also gives access to more items to craft as it levels.
5. Maybe another relic lets you make "rare" table objects (as a tinker) from specific ingredients that fuel other areas of the economy and more access to more items as it levels.
6. What about an "aesthetic relic" that lets you simply "engrave" items that you crafted with custom descriptions?
7. What about a relic that simply uses less resources as it gains levels?
8. Maybe another relic that lets you cook food with the equivalent of greater potions?
9. What about a relic that might have a chance at giving a "rare" ingredient when smelting items?
10. How about a relic that enables the crafter a chance at a special hue on an item they make?

I could go on... My point is, there are plenty of avenues to take that can reinforce the true "crafters" playstyle without forcing them into PvM or PvP if they want to progress. Maybe there are ways relics or the talisman could help boost vendor/merchant mechanics too somehow? Either way, I strongly stand behind those who wish it to have nothing to do with PvM unless yer selling wares/mech's to adventurers who like to PvM. Please, do NOT encourage or force the crafter to play PvM. Please!!

After thoughts: The idea of a mech suit is cool, but only if it is purely crafting driven in some way or even harvesting related (although that dares to threaten economic change, and if it's working now, it's delicate so I'd shy away from that)... Otherwise, it would be neat for me as a knight to go buy a mech from a crafter that allows me to keep up with tamer progression as a defense/zerker talisman user.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Why not both? Not to sound like a jerk, but because blatantly crafting is not PvM. Making a "progression system" that forces a playstyle to play differently is not sandbox anymore. Freedom... I see a lot of posts here referring to some conversation or post that I do not know of. I've heard rumor through grapevines bout mech-suits for crafters. Unless it is purely craft/harvest driven suits, don't do it unless they can be traded/sold to anyone (and yeah, keep balance in mind, they can't be too overpowered).

The one challenge I see here is that a "crafter" can be many "professions" whereas a meta dexxer just uses different tools to do the same task. Maybe this relic should have x amount of "general" crafting relics and a selection of relics to choose from to "specialize" in a trade (blacksmithing vs tailoring for example)?

But as for the talisman itself, if anything I think as a "crafter" I'd like to boost my "workshop"... Maybe soulforge or a new-forge that you can place in your house and you can "add" onto with relics. Elizabeth Gold tabled a lot of questions that should obviously be covered (what happens when u demolish house, it falls, etc... like a vendor, goes into bank, np).
1. Maybe one relic allows your station in your house give the same effect as the brit crafters area more and more as your tali levels up.
2. Maybe another relic allows you to make "rare" deco items (as a carpenter) that require specific ingredients (but don't neglect this list and add to it every 6 mo or something) and more items are unlocked as it levels.
3. Maybe another relic lets you make "rare" aesthetic cloth (as a tailor) that require specific ingredients (like MotM cloth maybe or something) for items you can't regularly make on the tailoring list and aren't on the dono vendors and gives more access to more items as it levels.
4. Maybe another relic lets you make "rare" aesthetic armor (as a blacksmith) that has 0 ar and u can med through, but is unblessed (more reason to buy more CBD's from dono vendor or the market as a gold sink) and also gives access to more items to craft as it levels.
5. Maybe another relic lets you make "rare" table objects (as a tinker) from specific ingredients that fuel other areas of the economy and more access to more items as it levels.
6. What about an "aesthetic relic" that lets you simply "engrave" items that you crafted with custom descriptions?
7. What about a relic that simply uses less resources as it gains levels?
8. Maybe another relic that lets you cook food with the equivalent of greater potions?
9. What about a relic that might have a chance at giving a "rare" ingredient when smelting items?
10. How about a relic that enables the crafter a chance at a special hue on an item they make?

I could go on... My point is, there are plenty of avenues to take that can reinforce the true "crafters" playstyle without forcing them into PvM or PvP if they want to progress. Maybe there are ways relics or the talisman could help boost vendor/merchant mechanics too somehow? Either way, I strongly stand behind those who wish it to have nothing to do with PvM unless yer selling wares/mech's to adventurers who like to PvM. Please, do NOT encourage or force the crafter to play PvM. Please!!

After thoughts: The idea of a mech suit is cool, but only if it is purely crafting driven in some way or even harvesting related (although that dares to threaten economic change, and if it's working now, it's delicate so I'd shy away from that)... Otherwise, it would be neat for me as a knight to go buy a mech from a crafter that allows me to keep up with tamer progression as a defense/zerker talisman user.

jerk.... lol J/K

Bromista

Grandmaster
I have a lot to say as one of the four active crafters on UOF. The reason for the lack of interest from player base is years of neglect by staff. Obviously crafting could definitely use the love and care and attention, however at this point I think it's simply too far gone. Too many people have lost interest that I can only see crafting getting attention being a waste of staffs time at this point.

I'm sorry but the juice is simply not going to be worth the squeeze and there's no reason to be in anything but full-on cynicism mode here.

Prove me wrong, I would love nothing more.

Sir.

Grandmaster
I have a lot to say as one of the four active crafters on UOF. The reason for the lack of interest from player base is years of neglect by staff. Obviously crafting could definitely use the love and care and attention, however at this point I think it's simply too far gone. Too many people have lost interest that I can only see crafting getting attention being a waste of staffs time at this point.

I'm sorry but the juice is simply not going to be worth the squeeze and there's no reason to be in anything but full-on cynicism mode here.

I have to admit that the amount of resources it takes to get the "good" items via crafting is a big deterrent for me already to play a crafter. I have a legendary smith and that is it, just to make armor for my guild. No other reason - and mainly because of resource cost. Slayers? Slayer deeds? Meh... BOD's and just selling the rewards seems like the most profitable avenue atm to me, but then again I'm not a crafter so i don't know, but I'm guessing I'm not far off because I can see the jester's point...

Sir.

Grandmaster
Then again, I can't say I completely "agree" that it is too far gone. Maybe neglect is an issue due to other areas needing more dire attention, but this is the chance for that attention to come back around to you guys. Obviously "something" is in the works and being worked on... Use your voice to really bring "resurrection" to the crafters if you feel they are dead. It is not impossible in this game afterall @Bromista ;) An Corp!!!

Bromista

Grandmaster
Maybe you are right. I think the precedent that I'm focusing on here is not just the disconnect between the talk and the amount of action that we've seen, but moreso the content of the suggestions being brought forth.

I could put my heart and soul into making solid suggestions and trying to steer away from the bad ones, and maybe I will. It hasn't gotten me anywhere in the past but I don't have to give up hope entirely.

Maybe crafting can be a "thing" more than filling a couple BODs here and there.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I really really don't want anyone to get too excited though. Again, I would love for things to be different and to not have to say this, but we've heard this kind of talk from the top before and it has been going on for some time now.

Lexington

Grandmaster

There's a lack of interest with crafting because they made the resources too f..ing rare. You need to dedicate too much of your time to gathering them or they cost too much to buy. I've been playing this game for over 5 years and have yet to see one enchanted marble drop in my pack!

Firecrest

Grandmaster
Yeah not knowing is the worst, it is like we have all these issues and these might be answered or not even a problem. I am all craft, the other issue I see is that all these ideas and work is being put in to something we may all love or we might not even care for or want.
We are not concerned because we are negative but concerned because we love the craft and this shard. Also we as a crafter community have given up a ton of ideas, solutions, requests and paths we would like.

:) I hope to see more posts and ideas :)

Swango

Apprentice
Fifteen players have spoken and generally agreed (which is very damned rare in UO) that we want this to not be pvm.

Morkani

Neophyte

I think I have some good news for you @Bromista , let me drop a few words of optimism your way...

I started streaming UO:F about 2 months ago, I ONLY stream crafting with some PvM sprinkled in. 6 bod runners, and 3 pvm characters. Every day I get 2 or 3 NEW players stating they've never tried the crafting and they are excited to try it out and they are rolling characters on the server for this purpose! We just bought an 18x18 for a New Player Guildhouse to train these players in the ways of the crafter. You'd think everyone would tune out when i start mining in the orc caves....nope, there IS interest in the crafting, this i can attest.

Morkani

Neophyte
Fifteen players have spoken and generally agreed (which is very damned rare in UO) that we want this to not be pvm.

I hate to be the one swimming upstream, but tbh, I'm quite intrigued with the possibility of taking my crafter into a dungeon to have some PvM fun so it's not just my tamer going out, let me add my +1 to the other side of the equation.