Reporting Bugs and exploits: Worth it or not?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messremb

Grandmaster
so to tell a little story first.

Yesterday at an RDA me and my group caught an individual /individuals,who was abusing a Log out bug in the Minotaur RDA, this is a well known bug that many guilds have gotten in trouble for in the past. It allows you to log out in an RDA and simply log in and check if its up, and where it is. i immediately tried to report the bug and the player we caught using it. when i finally go in contact with a staff member who could help, they told me they were jailing the player and fixing the issue, and would talk to JoeB about getting me a bug reporter reward (only cause i asked about a reward). JoeB rewarded me with a pair of true brit purple bug reporter sandals.

it should be noted that they have been using this for at least 2 months, as in the last 2 months we have only ever found 2 Minotaur RDAs, one being the one that we caught this exploit going on in.

the two staff members i worked with were great and this thread is not a complaint thread about the staff involved, its more about the policies regarding bug reporting

First off the lack of punishment. jailing one account for, 24hours - a week, really is not an adequate punishment for someone abusing an exploit that they know is an exploit to make 10's of millions of gold on relics. this individual will not learn any lesson other than that they got a slap on the wrist for making 10s of millions. in the rules it says people will be banned if they are caught using exploits yet i know several people currently abusing exploits that are not even punished let alone jailed, and i don't know that i have heard of anyone getting banned for an exploit in the last year (and there were some really huge exploits). why are these players being allowed to abuse exploits with no risk. IMO Staff needs to take a stronger stance on bug\ exploit abusers. otherwise these players will continue to exploit, and other players will begin to do it too when they see there are no serious consequences.

second, the rewards for reporting Bugs. first of there is some serious inconsistencies in who gets a bug reporter reward and what rewards they get. I understand that not every bug is worth rewarding, but sometimes it feels like bugs that should be rewarded aren't, and even if they are it seems like there is not order to which of the rewards they receive (i may be wrong about how the type of reward is chosen.)
secondly, please make some new bug reporter rewards, no offence but i reported a bug that could have been used by me to Make 10s of Millions in gold, and in exchange i was given sandals worth maybe 200k. (all the current bug reporter rewards were ruined by BOD rewards like a year and a half ago).
I think a good idea would be to make tiered rewards so small bugs can get something small, while big bugs reward something big.

I guess what it comes down too is, if you want people to report bugs and exploits you need to actually follow through on the rules for exploiting, and you need to make some rewards that are worth reporting bugs for!

thanks for reading my wall of text.

@Shane , @Adam, @eppy , @JoeB

Wrexx

Grandmaster
I think reporting bugs should be done by individuals because we love to play a quality 20 year old game. I feel like this reward system is borderline entitlement. I've heard of instances where someone turns in another player for selling shit irl and they get a cut of the goods, that is ok by me.

Messremb

Grandmaster
I think reporting bugs should be done by individuals because we love to play a quality 20 year old game. I feel like this reward system is borderline entitlement. I've heard of instances where someone turns in another player for selling shit irl and they get a cut of the goods, that is ok by me.
while i agree with you, and i have reported many bugs with no rewards or request for rewards, i think you are being idealistic. your guild specifically is know for abusing exploits, why do they do that? i would say its because they know they wont get in trouble if they get caught and if the report it they wont get anything good.

if you are different than your guild mates, i applaud you, and wish there were more people like you on this game, but the fact is there isn't.

Messremb

Grandmaster
[22:52:51] <MT_Bowl> dude
[22:52:57] <MT_Bowl> we was in four of them at one time....
[22:53:01] <MT_Bowl> for months
[22:53:03] <MT_Bowl> MONTHS
[22:53:17] <MT_Bowl> long before stupid faction rda gave one away
[22:53:31] <MT_Bowl> oh and hate to burst your bubble
[22:53:35] <MT_Bowl> but lep isnt jailed...

Lep is his alt he was using to exploit.

this is why punishments need to be enforced

Messremb

Grandmaster
[22:55:57] <MT_Bowl> i am in jail
[22:56:02] <MT_Bowl> shucks
[22:56:05] <MT_Bowl> i wasnt earlier
[22:56:20] <MT_Bowl> another two day visit
[22:56:26] <MT_Bowl> I should have my own cell by now

Jimmy

Master
Can someone explain to me how people get banned for much less and yet RDA exploiting asshats get a 2 day jail sentence?

What's the point of donating and saving millions for relics and PS when a small group gets away with getting them so easily?

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
I've never gotten any reporter rewards... didn't know I had to ask for doing such a feat. I've reported exploiters/bugs plenty of times with details upon what they are doing. I personally haven't seen any punishment besides a slap on the wrist and not even jail time. Sometimes it's just not worth reporting depending on who gets the report I guess?

DalMichaelLas

Grandmaster
so to tell a little story first.

Yesterday at an RDA me and my group caught an individual /individuals,who was abusing a Log out bug in the Minotaur RDA, this is a well known bug that many guilds have gotten in trouble for in the past. It allows you to log out in an RDA and simply log in and check if its up, and where it is. i immediately tried to report the bug and the player we caught using it. when i finally go in contact with a staff member who could help, they told me they were jailing the player and fixing the issue, and would talk to JoeB about getting me a bug reporter reward (only cause i asked about a reward). JoeB rewarded me with a pair of true brit purple bug reporter sandals.

it should be noted that they have been using this for at least 2 months, as in the last 2 months we have only ever found 2 Minotaur RDAs, one being the one that we caught this exploit going on in.

the two staff members i worked with were great and this thread is not a complaint thread about the staff involved, its more about the policies regarding bug reporting

First off the lack of punishment. jailing one account for, 24hours - a week, really is not an adequate punishment for someone abusing an exploit that they know is an exploit to make 10's of millions of gold on relics. this individual will not learn any lesson other than that they got a slap on the wrist for making 10s of millions. in the rules it says people will be banned if they are caught using exploits yet i know several people currently abusing exploits that are not even punished let alone jailed, and i don't know that i have heard of anyone getting banned for an exploit in the last year (and there were some really huge exploits). why are these players being allowed to abuse exploits with no risk. IMO Staff needs to take a stronger stance on bug\ exploit abusers. otherwise these players will continue to exploit, and other players will begin to do it too when they see there are no serious consequences.

second, the rewards for reporting Bugs. first of there is some serious inconsistencies in who gets a bug reporter reward and what rewards they get. I understand that not every bug is worth rewarding, but sometimes it feels like bugs that should be rewarded aren't, and even if they are it seems like there is not order to which of the rewards they receive (i may be wrong about how the type of reward is chosen.)
secondly, please make some new bug reporter rewards, no offence but i reported a bug that could have been used by me to Make 10s of Millions in gold, and in exchange i was given sandals worth maybe 200k. (all the current bug reporter rewards were ruined by BOD rewards like a year and a half ago).
I think a good idea would be to make tiered rewards so small bugs can get something small, while big bugs reward something big.

I guess what it comes down too is, if you want people to report bugs and exploits you need to actually follow through on the rules for exploiting, and you need to make some rewards that are worth reporting bugs for!

thanks for reading my wall of text.

@Shane , @Adam, @eppy , @JoeB

So they rewarded you for snitching on someone? Because that was a well known bug that was reported hundreds of times.

steve-o

Grandmaster
... no comment!

like i asked long time ago to solve the problem on darkfather where u could teleport in the little chamber in front of the gate and obviously logout there... and who was doing it? LOL im 100% sure was the same person!

ps: why noone is saying anything about the stupid faction enter/leave bug? souldn't be 2 days to change faction? i love how people abuse bugs non stop knowing they can't be harmed :)

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Where do I even start with this one?

Is it not entirely clear to everyone who read the OP that the poster is simply enraged that he wasn't able to get the competition removed/banned via page button griefing and using the crappy bug reporter reward system to blind us from the fact??

Try harder professor. Let me tell you what you did wrong here.

First, making a thread about something developers are already aware of and working on BEFORE they're finished. You're just shooting yourself in the foot here, proving that all you care about is the lack of iron fisted punishment on your behalf.

Second, tagging staff as if making a better bug reporter system should be their top priority. The kind of bug reporters that the staff would rather keep around are the ones who don't even want a reward in the first place. That's why they give crappy sandals to those who ask to be rewarded in the first place, so everybody knows who reported for less than virtuous reasons. Kind of like a dunce cap.

And finally, last but not least, the problem with your stance here is in fact that you don't trust the admins judgement. Period. This server has survived through a lot of little tiny problems like the one you reported. I've played servers where the staff there fell for page button griefing every single time it happened, right up until the server had 0 players remaining. I have a feeling if MTBowl wasn't allowed to play, he probably has a few friends who would follow him somewhere else. And for what?? Probably only doing what he had to to be able to compete with the rest of you cheating, relic system abusing douchebags?

Get over yourself already.

DalMichaelLas

Grandmaster
Where do I even start with this one?

Is it not entirely clear to everyone who read the OP that the poster is simply enraged that he wasn't able to get the competition removed/banned via page button griefing and using the crappy bug reporter reward system to blind us from the fact??

Try harder professor. Let me tell you what you did wrong here.

First, making a thread about something developers are already aware of and working on BEFORE they're finished. You're just shooting yourself in the foot here, proving that all you care about is the lack of iron fisted punishment on your behalf.

Second, tagging staff as if making a better bug reporter system should be their top priority. The kind of bug reporters that the staff would rather keep around are the ones who don't even want a reward in the first place. That's why they give crappy sandals to those who ask to be rewarded in the first place, so everybody knows who reported for less than virtuous reasons. Kind of like a dunce cap.

And finally, last but not least, the problem with your stance here is in fact that you don't trust the admins judgement. Period. This server has survived through a lot of little tiny problems like the one you reported. I've played servers where the staff there fell for page button griefing every single time it happened, right up until the server had 0 players remaining. I have a feeling if MTBowl wasn't allowed to play, he probably has a few friends who would follow him somewhere else. And for what?? Probably only doing what he had to to be able to compete with the rest of you cheating, relic system abusing douchebags?

Get over yourself already.

We call them snitch sandles

Mango

Grandmaster
I've reported to the staff a few times, all things that got fixed shortly after my report.
I never knew about the rewards, and don't expect them. I keep doing it because I just feel like it's the right thing to do :p

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
I've reported to the staff a few times, all things that got fixed shortly after my report.
I never knew about the rewards, and don't expect them. I keep doing it because I just feel like it's the right thing to do :p
I always thought the reward was getting whatever that's wrong fixed.

Messremb

Grandmaster
Probably only doing what he had to to be able to compete with the rest of you cheating, relic system abusing douchebags?

i was going to completely ignore your ******** hypocritical drivel until i read that. me and my crew have been running legit since the first day we started tracking RDAs, and calline me or them cheaters is shows you have nfi what you are talking about.

also its rich that the guy who only has any gold on the server cause he abused then reported a bug is claiming that people should only do it for the right reasons. the hypocrisy is real man!!

i think MTs statements pretty much sum up why the staff needs to take a stronger stance. people just are not even a little concerned that they will get banned or suffer any serious consequences if the cheat and exploit. but i see how the cheaters and the exploiters in here don't want that changed. so continue raging wrek, glad to see you are still my #1 fan.

Messremb

Grandmaster
and if the shard was full of players like you it would work, but the shard is full of players like MT and Wrek just out for #1

Status
Not open for further replies.