Remove Trammel Zones

Antelope

Apprentice
Keep the safe zone, make duel pits use 0 regs when dueling but disallow banking and trading. Problem solved. Probably the most diplomatic way of resolving this issue as I can not see the safe zone being removed any day soon.

Personally I miss the days of Wrong roof dueling, where even dueling incurred some risk, but I don't see the big harm in having a spot where people can duel in peace. This is a totally acceptable solution to me.

Antelope

Apprentice
I think the debate here is a lot more complicated then just closing the docks to trading. A lot of it is about risk vs reward.

The main reason most prefer to trade at the docks is to avoid the scams not the thieves. You all know the ones I’m talking about… the trader that pulls their item safely out of the bank and drops it directly into the trade window, at no risk I might add, all along having that item target by their multi-client hidden thief sitting waiting for the un-expecting buyer to complete the trade and “Boom” they have the loot and their item back.

Here’s a suggestion …. sure close the docks to trading doesn’t make a difference to me, as I don’t bank steal, but allow the buyer to have the same courtesy as the seller, have the item traded drop directly into their bank!

Not to sound rude but there are simple ways to minimize the risk without going totally trammel.

If you have to trade something of super high value, do it on a vendor, or know the person you are trading too, and do it in a less populated area.

Trading two power scrolls to the previously unheard "LULZATHON" in the middle of Brit West, means you deserved to have those PScrolls stolen.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
The main reason most prefer to trade at the docks is to avoid the scams not the thieves.

!

But again, this can be argued against using the 'risk vs reward' card. The issue is how folks have become accustomed to easy mode, the same can be said about PK's who will vigorously defend their positions against harsher penalties. Ultimately, these areas will not really be changed, not because of people not being able to readjust to the more difficult way of playing, but the reason of threat from perhaps losing players due to either losing status for longer or losing item of great value because of their complacency.

The same can be said about stealth, stealth is, from my perspective anyway, over-powered on so many levels BUT tracking is also over-powered by revealing the positions of people with only a minute amount of skill, so stealth remains the way it is because of that reason. Personally, there is need of balancing on Uoforever and unfortunately, someone will always be annoyed by said changes, this never changes.

I would really appreciate a change to stealth but only as long as there is a change to tracking, I have always worked my game around using stealth the right way, using a hotkey to stealth and I have been very successful in the past as a thief doing it this way. Personally, I believe that thieves on this shard do have it easier than most and I have also been a thief for over fourteen years on Ultima Online so I consider I do have the right to mention this.

I am sorry to all the brothers and sisters of the shadows out there if this displeases you, but we do not need our hands to be held when we practice our art, we are better than that and we can honestly say, we are truly unique in the gaming world as a class ;).

To me there are a few issues here.

Problems:

1. People see that there is no drawback to a thief. I do not think that playing a thief here was much different than it was on OSI when I played a long time ago. The anti-thief is the bless deed/blessed items/newbied items. The other anti-thief is just killing the thief. Maybe pick up some offensive skills on your banksitter. Notice you dont see thief complaint threads in the pvp forum, bu pvpers can be stolen from jstu as easily as anyone. Yes they can bank it and give it to other people. Don't cary stuff you shouldnt in town. That is the fun of uo; don't expect it to be candyland. The point of a sandbox game to me is that things can be lost/stolen and you have to be on your toes. To me there is no current problem with thiefs and or blessed items. The real problem is that everyone found out that people here are easily scammed and easily stoled from because they keep valuable stuff on them or are willing to trade non blessed stuff. It is not hard to avoid a thief, or protect yourself from one. Keep in mind, this server runs on donations and Shane most likely lives off them also. If he were to get rid of blessed items he would also get rid of his income and server payment method. Asking for this is just plain not going to happen. Thiefs are fine, blessed items are fine. Always existed always will.

2. People do not like safe trading zones. I think this would be fine to take away. That is what a vendor is. You put an item on a vendor, and just have the person buy it. Pay a toll for having the safe transaction. Problem solved. I think that the duel pit should stay and that people should not be able to be killed there. It should be a DUEL PIT for dueling and watching duels, not trading and banking safetly. You should not be able to trade there, and have to step outside the gate to trade.

Synopsis: Thiefs are fine, blessed items are how the shard gets paid for ( wont change), should have pits, but not be able to trade in them.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Thieving here is wayyy different than it used to be. Insta bank, insta stealth, and guard whacks only 10% of the time instead of 90% of the time.

Thieving here is whack and I have no sympathy for thieves.

iceman2kx

Novice
I can see the whole trammie/fel argument point. Still, I personally like the trade zone due to the fact it's inconvenient as hell to make a vendor, put the item on the vendor, make sure your buyer is able to find your vendor etc etc. Do you seriously think your gonna score a valuable +20 powerscroll or something? I highly doubt it, because anyone that possesses such an item is going to put it on a vendor. That 1% that is stupid or complacent enough to trade it anywhere but a vendor are probably the ones right now too lazy to even take their butts to the docks to trade.

Seriously, I get it. This is a fel shard, but my point is it inconveniences the hell out of everyone.. Why would you want that? This server is NOT " back in the day " original UO. This is UOforever, a custom shard. A lot of things that are here could be argued weren't here back on OSI so ' take it away '.

As for thieves, there are plenty of other good places to hunt for rares. If your too lazy to go search for them and want everything to come to you in town, that is your own fault for not being a good thief.

Furthermore, Trammel was horrible due to the fact everyone was safe. Taking away the docks eliminates Step A, B, C, D of a trading process. No one can come here to farm, or pvm in safety. There's really no point to go to the docks unless you want to duel or trade, and frankly your argument to take it away " just because " isn't good enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

Antelope

Apprentice
I can see the whole trammie/fel argument point. Still, I personally like the trade zone due to the fact it's inconvenient as hell to make a vendor, put the item on the vendor, make sure your buyer is able to find your vendor etc etc. Do you seriously think your gonna score a valuable +20 powerscroll or something? I highly doubt it, because anyone that possesses such an item is going to put it on a vendor. That 1% that is stupid or complacent enough to trade it anywhere but a vendor are probably the ones right now too lazy to even take their butts to the docks to trade.

Seriously, I get it. This is a fel shard, but my point is it inconveniences the hell out of everyone.. Why would you want that? This server is NOT " back in the day " original UO. This is UOforever, a custom shard. A lot of things that are here could be argued weren't here back on OSI so ' take it away '.

As for thieves, there are plenty of other good places to hunt for rares. If your too lazy to go search for them and want everything to come to you in town, that is your own fault for not being a good thief.

Furthermore, Trammel was horrible due to the fact everyone was safe. Taking away the docks eliminates Step A, B, C, D of a trading process. No one can come here to farm, or pvm in safety. There's really no point to go to the docks unless you want to duel or trade, and frankly your argument to take it away " just because " isn't good enough.

There shouldn't be a place to trade "safely". That is the entire point of Ultima Online.. there shouldn't be "Safe Zones". That is why people play on free servers, because the official servers went way way too far. It has no place here.

The ONLY "Safety" that should be afforded, in my opinion, is a short young status for new players. Having new players killed before they even know how to move around, work with the UI , etc does no one any good IMO. That is it. Other than that there should be no complete safety anywhere.

Antelope

Apprentice
There shouldn't be a place to trade "safely". That is the entire point of Ultima Online.. there shouldn't be "Safe Zones". That is why people play on free servers, because the official servers went way way too far. It has no place here.

The ONLY "Safety" that should be afforded, in my opinion, is a short young status for new players. Having new players killed before they even know how to move around, work with the UI , etc does no one any good IMO. That is it. Other than that there should be no complete safety anywhere.

The docks fly in the face of that, by creating an easily accessible, completely risk free zone to conduct business. It is silly.

Edit: Didn't mean to quote myself here, was trying to edit my original post.

Lexington

Grandmaster

The docks provide equal trading security for both parties... UO has always provided safe trading for the sellers. If you want the safe trading area removed then you should remove safe trading for everyone, buyers and sellers. No more venders and no more dropping items directly from your bank. Now that would even the playing field. The same risk on both sides!

halygon

Grandmaster
Wow, thieves can make a riot eh? Who knew they were so political...

... Cause let's face it, only thieves care if there is trading allowed in the docks. Personally I think it's dumb to allow trading or to allow banking near pits.. It only instigates unfair restocking during tourneys or duels.

milkyteat

Expert
That is why people play on free servers, because the official servers went way way too far.

That's correct...OSI took it too far. UOF has not gone too far with their "trammy" designated area. Show me another town that has this zone on this shard. You can't because they didn't go too far with the idea.

If thieves were able to fuck with people that had nowhere else to trade, this shard would lose soooo many players because the noobs would not be able to make money fast enough to get a permanent settlement (ie: house, boat) to be able to enjoy themselves. Not all people start off with warriors. A lot start with crafters and work their way up and make a ton of trades at the docks like bulk ingot deeds (in the case they don't have a vendor anywhere), bulk log deeds, slayer weaps, etc etc.

It's bad enough thieves can steal from the crafting area...

thestand

Grandmaster
That's correct...OSI took it too far. UOF has not gone too far with their "trammy" designated area. Show me another town that has this zone on this shard. You can't because they didn't go too far with the idea.

If thieves were able to fuck with people that had nowhere else to trade, this shard would lose soooo many players because the noobs would not be able to make money fast enough to get a permanent settlement (ie: house, boat) to be able to enjoy themselves. Not all people start off with warriors. A lot start with crafters and work their way up and make a ton of trades at the docks like bulk ingot deeds (in the case they don't have a vendor anywhere), bulk log deeds, slayer weaps, etc etc.

uoforever has same safe areas only you can't trade there.

Antelope

Apprentice

It doesn't matter if another town has the area. Everyone has easy access to the one that does. One is too much. If you quit because a safe zone is removed, than you belong on the official EA servers anyway.

milkyteat

Expert
If you quit because a safe zone is removed, than you belong on the office EA servers anyway.

I agree with that part (I wouldn't quit if the docks were removed). I just feel like this game is tough enough as it is and for thieves to have an easier time making off with items worth as much as they are right now would be really unbalanced. Call me what ya will, but that's my stance.