Remove Trammel Zones

Antelope

Apprentice
Risk vs reward.

Risk for blues..yep reds. Risk for reds..yep stat loss.

Risk for thieves..ummmm nope. There is no risk for town thieves, only reward. A whole 125 seconds ?!?!? Nope..no risk. no darker side for the thieves. No danger for them.

Dying naked and having to wait a couple of minutes.pffft.

Add risk for thieves. Then get rid of protected areas. Sure.

Arguing in favor of completely safe zones puts you on the same level as the people who ruined this game in the first place. People like you are the reason so many of us have had to hop from free server to free server the last 10 years. There really is no lower form of player than the player who argues for trammel rule set.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
ok boys, simmer down. North american world debt keeps rising and the entire world is going to shit, all because you guys are spending wayy too much time on newbie suggestions like this. Plus my eyes hurt. Learn to stay on topic. Spin, I can tell you enjoy a challenge and have some talent, so why are you even asking for charity? Grind a couple new chars and move along please.

If i see any more giant wall of text posts, im going to start reporting people. thanks

Antelope

Apprentice
ok boys, simmer down. North american world debt keeps rising and the entire world is going to shit, all because you guys are spending wayy too much time on newbie suggestions like this. Plus my eyes hurt. Learn to stay on topic. Spin, I can tell you enjoy a challenge and have some talent, so why are you even asking for charity? Grind a couple new chars and move along please.

If i see any more giant wall of text posts, im going to start reporting people. thanks

Trolling mode engaged.

You all realize if the docks were removed people would just make all sales via vendors and would scatter trades all over the world. Your point is moot.

Yoar

Adept
In my opinion, the Trammel zones are a quick and easy fix for the people that do not like losing their stuff (eventhough it's part of the game), or for people that aren't bothered to put any effort in esuring a safe transaction (using the many available skills as stated in post #1).

I'd love to see Trammel removed completely but it's unlikely to happen.

Not only the Trammel zone itself but also the placement of it is quite unfortunate. It's blocking the way for boats to easily pass through the bay. Does no one care about this or did the GMs just not think about this when they put that contraption right in the middle of the bay? I miss camping the Britain Docks to steal from fishermen and sailors :(.

How about moving it next to Lord Blackthorn's castle, near Britain GY?

Last edited by a moderator:

Struan

Expert
Wreck,

Your going to report people for typing....on a forum??

Antelope,

Are you sure I'm the lowest form of player...

3rd worst: safe zone defender
2nd worst: town thief
worst: forum fink

Yep again. Remove the safe zone, bravo. I actually don't use it. Also make sure there is equivalent risk when performing criminal acts, or least try too.

Antelope

Apprentice
Wreck,

Your going to report people for typing....on a forum??

Antelope,

Are you sure I'm the lowest form of player...

3rd worst: safe zone defender
2nd worst: town thief
worst: forum fink

Yep again. Remove the safe zone, bravo. I actually don't use it. Also make sure there is equivalent risk when performing criminal acts, or least try too.

I apologize, I came off as a bit of a dick here. The trammel rule set is the worst thing that ever happened to UO, and it is certainly the worst thing that could happen to this free server. Even small pockets of it can have far ranging affects , as you can see from the docks. Where do people trade anything of value? It needs to be removed.

Oh and don't feed the troll (wreck).

Spinnacus

Neophyte
You all realize if the docks were removed people would just make all sales via vendors and would scatter trades all over the world. Your point is moot.
That is EXACTLY the point. If people used the vendors like they are intended, then they have to have minimal risk transporting their goods out of town to those vendors. This puts the items at risk not only by thieves, but by reds, and anyone willing to turn gray for a few minutes. The fact that the docks exist, prevents this whole mechanic of the game.

That is EXACTLY the point. If people used the vendors like they are intended, then they have to have minimal risk transporting their goods out of town to those vendors. This puts the items at risk not only by thieves, but by reds, and anyone willing to turn gray for a few minutes. The fact that the docks exist, prevents this whole mechanic of the game.

Yes but what theif is able to payroll every player vendor in the world?

Amsterdamaged

Apprentice
I dislike the docks. I would at least like to see the bank removed so people have to expose their goods before they walk and trade there. Ideally , no docks at all.

thechemicals

Apprentice
The docks is not Trammel or anything like Trammel. Tram was conceived to protect players in the field from death and drylooting, and the docks was made so the large amount of sales in this game aren't constantly interrupted by macro script masters thieves (not actual thief masters). The docks are in the city.... Perhaps you need to train up on your field thieving instead of city theft.

Antelope

Apprentice
The docks is not Trammel or anything like Trammel. Tram was conceived to protect players in the field from death and drylooting, and the docks was made so the large amount of sales in this game aren't constantly interrupted by macro script masters thieves (not actual thief masters). The docks are in the city.... Perhaps you need to train up on your field thieving instead of city theft.

Trammel = Removal of Risk Docks = Removal of Risk

Spinnacus

Neophyte
You're right... the docks are even more safe than Trammel. So instead of an entire map of Tram, we have a 30 to 50 tile square of Trammel, with moongates that take you from "Felluca Brit Bank" to "Floating Trammel in the Bay". It may be a physically smaller Trammel, but it's even more carebear than the real Trammel.

You may hate town thieving, but it is part of the game design... The ability to steal in towns was not a magical flaw in the game. The ISOs didn't just randomly appear one day and make it so. Flynn had no hand in it. It was a designed game mechanic with designed consequences. You should check out www.uoforever.com/about.php, which clearly states:

Difficulty:
Difficulty in Ultima Online Forever is multi-faceted, thieves can, at any moment, steal something out of your pack if you aren't vigilant.

I guess they should have wrote, "Difficulty:
Difficulty in Ultima Online Forever is multi-faceted, thieves can, at any moment, steal something out of your pack if you aren't vigilant or standing in a safe zone where vigillance is not required."

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Keep the safe zone, make duel pits use 0 regs when dueling but disallow banking and trading. Problem solved. Probably the most diplomatic way of resolving this issue as I can not see the safe zone being removed any day soon.

This is something else that made UO great, wondering the wilderness, finding a lone vendor selling all manner of curiosities at a very succulent price, nothing moot about reintroducing immersion.

But the docks are considered to be a by-product of trammel. Anywhere that is considered safe from combat/theft etc, is and will always be related to the trammel era of Ultima Online. When you are trading in this game, many of us from bygone days have had something of value stolen, it was just a part of the game and obviously, although it left a lasting impression on how *most* of us trade now, it does not require a place to trade in complete safety. Many are fast to throw the 'risk vs reward' card into the fray, yet completely negate the fact that safe-zones are indeed, taking away the risk.

Trade should be done as intended, either use a vendor or player to player.

Bromista

Grandmaster
You're absolutely welcome. People keep stating risk vs reward, but at the docks there is 0 risk... sounds like an unbalanced equation to me.
You just used like 8000 characters to defend your position and this is the best you can do?

Theft and murder are the actions that make a fel-only server just that, right? This applies to more than merely being able to perform these actions, this applies to every mechanic of these playstyles, right?

You can insta bank, insta stealth, and stat loss is a joke here. Right? Right?!?! And you're gonna complain about the docks as if this server isn't a trammel for thieves and murderers?

Sounds like an unbalanced equation to me, unbalanced in YOUR favor even with the despicable trammel docks as they are.

Check yourself.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Boom!

nailed it.

I think the debate here is a lot more complicated then just closing the docks to trading. A lot of it is about risk vs reward.

The main reason most prefer to trade at the docks is to avoid the scams not the thieves. You all know the ones I’m talking about… the trader that pulls their item safely out of the bank and drops it directly into the trade window, at no risk I might add, all along having that item target by their multi-client hidden thief sitting waiting for the un-expecting buyer to complete the trade and “Boom” they have the loot and their item back.

Here’s a suggestion …. sure close the docks to trading doesn’t make a difference to me, as I don’t bank steal, but allow the buyer to have the same courtesy as the seller, have the item traded drop directly into their bank!