Remove stat loss from reds. No really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop, breathe, read before you hit reply :) This is just my opinion, and not a personal attack on anyone. Treat it as such.

Stat loss promotes ganking no matter how good of a system is in place. The current system favors stacking deep to prevent losing your head and funnels pvp into no-cut zones.

The main focus of pvp should be placed in factions. Let those who want to murder, be reds, and those who want group warfare be factions. Being red is not supposed to be about maximizing your pvp options.

Being red should have meaning. Those of us who played when UO was a fresh experience all agree to this, red or blue. I've spoken with many people on this server and we all have one thing in common; we miss the solo/2 man pk group. It was a killer experience and to get us back there I propose this. There should be sacrifices to being a murderer. . .
  1. Reds cannot be in factions. This removes all reason reds were allowed in towns in the first place so....
  2. Reds cannot be in towns. You're an outlaw, embrace it. It's what makes you "cool". When we see you at the bank, you're no longer cool, you're just another goober chuckin' pots. Yes this means no more safe zones, no more safe trades. You've chosen the life of a murderer, butcher, assassin. It's UO Hard Mode love it or leave it.
  3. Remove all no-cut zones as they will no longer be necessary.
  4. Blue healers are grey for 5 minutes and have heat of battle for this entire duration, and are added to the aggressor list. If the victim dies they also receive a murder count.
  5. When reds die there is no stat loss, but before he/she can res the restitution system must either be met, or a certain number of hours pass. (Example: Pay the price in gold to your killer (or perhaps victims), or wait a flat 4-8 hours before you can res no matter how many counts you have.)
  6. Grant a one time murder count reset (to everyone) so nobody is punished if they want to join factions instead of being red (allow it to be refused of course)
  7. If a factioner gets a murder count they are kicked out of factions for 1 week, akin to thieves guild punishment.
Whatever issues with faction zerging could be addressed later.

Let's face it, there are two kinds of reds. Those who live up to the name Dread Lord, and those who just hang out with them. You'll know who is who by how they respond to this thread. *wink*

Last edited by a moderator:

THEREGOESBILL

Apprentice
I think we should make use of bounty on heads again but as a gold sink. once murder XXXX has say 500,000 gold put on his head he can no longer enter town without being Guardwacked. each person killed will have the option of paying to keep this red out of town. might be abused but just an idea. no gold is awarded to the killer you are paying the guards to keep him out of town.

Violence

Grandmaster
What makes you an authority on what it means to be red? Or on how any player ought to play the game?

If you want a solution to player problem, come up with a player solution.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
@OP

I'm trying to weigh this out between how much more often players will BPK instead of simply making 'red' char versus the amount that your suggestions reduce zerging, which is not really all that much. Best case scenario here is that everyone BPK's more often, which is actually more confusing to new players.

Also I get the impression that most factioners that are murderers probably don't want to switch between characters all the time either, so this would probably also hurt the faction scene if anything.

What makes you an authority on what it means to be red? Or on how any player ought to play the game?

Where did he say he was an authority on anything? Where did he say "If you're not playing this way you're playing incorrect"?

Violence

Grandmaster
Where did he say he was an authority on anything? Where did he say "If you're not playing this way you're playing incorrect"?

The main focus of pvp should be placed in factions.

Being red is not supposed to be about maximizing your pvp options.

Being red should have meaning.

Let's face it, there are two kinds of reds. Those who live up to the name Dread Lord, and those who just hang out with them. You'll know who is who by how they respond to this thread. *wink*

Why?

So, you missed the whole part about this being an opinion? I don't know how many experts you've heard speak, but they generally don't consider their views to be opinion.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
When he started defining being red he became the self appointed authority on it, that's kind of how english works.

Either way though everyone knows it's a toss up between azria and kemikulz for who's hiding their identity and posting under newbie account. If I had to guess I'd say it was kemi or at least some other DMG member since these mentioned are literally the only people who play blues exclusively that faction.

Can't post as the authority on being a red when everyone knows that you're so not, amirite?

See that's something I've said in the past as well, both on UO and on Darkfall. The problem is when you try to apply this phrase as a catchall, or insult.

What is the "player solution" to ganking? More ganking? What will that solve? Imagine painting a car without primer. Your solution to the problem that the paint wont stick is to use more paint. It doesn't solve the root of the issue. Reds getting stat loss is creating ganking.

I have to wonder though if you are arguing for or against my idea. Or did you just get caught up in the "red authority" part which was humor?

When he started defining being red he became the self appointed authority on it, that's kind of how english works.

Either way though everyone knows it's a toss up between azria and kemikulz for who's hiding their identity and posting under newbie account. If I had to guess I'd say it was kemi or at least some other DMG member since these mentioned are literally the only people who play blues exclusively that faction.

Can't post as the authority on being a red when everyone knows that you're so not, amirite?
I'm actually a new player. Though I played Great Lakes long ago. I was a Dread Lord for quite a while. This shit is something I posted on OSI forums 15 years ago. Calm down

I don't know man. My usual go to solution is to not get ganked.

Works for me.
I don't get ganked either. Problem is still there though. When I recall it's because reds are rolling 6-7 deep and it makes me sad panda. I can't fight that. If it were 1 or 2 fighting is an option on the table. There is no option here other than recall or die.

I did get ganked once. I still had the young tag and reds killed me with summoned demons and stone walls. I had no idea they could do that lol.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
thats cool, i have some buddies who were dreads from those days on GL. I sent a message asking if they remember u. Prolly wont hear back till tomorrow tho

Fattson

Grandmaster
@Sacksquatch The only point I don't wholeheartedly agree with is that reds should not be allowed in factions. But you brought up valid points about it. I think you may have something with your arguments and I think devs should check it out.

thats cool, i have some buddies who were dreads from those days on GL. I sent a message asking if they remember u. Prolly wont hear back till tomorrow tho
That's fine, but what does it matter? What if I don't remember them? Does it make my post less valid? We are old now bro. Pissing contest is over.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Well if I could verify you are an actual red in any way, then I guess it would help your case.

Until then it just seems like you're blue and you're mad at red factioners who are able to roll your group with sheer numbers.

You also failed to respond to the rest of my previous posts, which you gladly still can.

Status
Not open for further replies.