Remove 2-handed purple pot tossing poll

Should purple potions require a free hand to throw?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Don Key

Master
Let's see where this goes...

I think that you should have to have a free hand to use any type of potion in the game. The main problem I have with using a 2-hander is that it gives warriors the ability to use weapons with special hits and adds a DPS that warriors don't normally get. This goes against the spirit of UO where everything combat related is associated with a skill. Throwing purples requires no skill (not player skill, actual uo skill points) unless you want an added bonus by having Alchemy (which should be removed too).

If you want warriors to have better damage output I would suggest increasing weapon damage, decreasing armor values or add hit-spell modifiers to weapons (oh yeah).

You might think that it is balanced currently because mages can use their stun-punch ability while throwing purples but that is apples to oranges. Mages don't punch for e-bolt damage while throwing purples. The way to fight melee is to get separation so you can land your own attacks, and purples take the separation out of the fight.

People are still going to throw purples with a poisoned 1-hander but at the trade-off of having a lower DPS weapon out that can't para-blow you.

So, what does everyone else think?

Magpie

Adept
I think it's balanced and fine.

"Throwing purples requires no skill (not player skill, actual uo skill points) unless you want an added bonus by having Alchemy (which should be removed too). "

You're right it doesn't require 'GM Pot Throwing' but the skill to be able to throw pots consistently on the money balances it out.

Don Key

Master
I think it's balanced and fine.

"Throwing purples requires no skill (not player skill, actual uo skill points) unless you want an added bonus by having Alchemy (which should be removed too). "

You're right it doesn't require 'GM Pot Throwing' but the skill to be able to throw pots consistently on the money balances it out.

Anything combat related in UO requires skill points. And for the most part, there is a counter skill for everything. What is the counter skill for throwing purples? Throwing your own?

UO is about choice. Remember the UO install screen? "Where will YOU go?" "What will YOU do?", etc.

Making people throw their own purples to balance it out is not a choice, it forces people to play the same way or else (hyperbole). Throwing purples back at people would be pretty balanced but from what I've read, that doesn't work here right?

K A Z

Grandmaster
a one-handed war fork with DP on it + pots is ways worse than a spear + pots... its really hard to die to dexxers IMO.

halygon

Grandmaster
Anything combat related in UO requires skill points. And for the most part, there is a counter skill for everything. What is the counter skill for throwing purples? Throwing your own?

UO is about choice. Remember the UO install screen? "Where will YOU go?" "What will YOU do?", etc.

Making people throw their own purples to balance it out is not a choice, it forces people to play the same way or else (hyperbole). Throwing purples back at people would be pretty balanced but from what I've read, that doesn't work here right?
You don't need purples to be competitive in PvP. They mostly just help against GM runners.

The bonus for Exp pot damage should be bigger and only allowed at GM Alchemy.. too many half ass uoforever templates out there with 80 alchy (thanks alot @K A Z ).

Why does there have to be a counter skill? Who mandated that? But to answer your question .. the counter to pots *should* be pot kicking, but of course that was disabled.

Strife

Master
You don't need purples to be competitive in PvP. They mostly just help against GM runners.

The bonus for Exp pot damage should be bigger and only allowed at GM Alchemy.. too many half ass uoforever templates out there with 80 alchy (thanks alot @K A Z ).

Why does there have to be a counter skill? Who mandated that? But to answer your question .. the counter to pots *should* be pot kicking, but of course that was disabled.
Mind explaining what "pot kicking" is?

K A Z

Grandmaster

its disabled because someone had to abuse his little steam script to do it *cough* who dat *cough*

ShinPi

Grandmaster
Hell I tend to blow up my own damn hands while trying to battle with pots one or two handed weaps lol.. I have to give it to those that have mastered the art of the purp cause the shot is hard.
Best scenario I've seen them used is against gm runners and supper hiders. That hit corners perfect and hide

halygon

Grandmaster
Mind explaining what "pot kicking" is?
It is the art of picking up a thrown purple pot and throwing it back at your opponent. Unfortunately it can be made into a macro, which the UOF Staff doesn't like. Keep in mind though perfectly thrown pots cannot be kicked -- manually or via macro.
its disabled because someone had to abuse his little steam script to do it *cough* who dat *cough*
Who is dat you speak of? If I remember right, it wasn't him that got the damn feature removed.

K A Z

Grandmaster
It is the art of picking up a thrown purple pot and throwing it back at your opponent. Unfortunately it can be made into a macro, which the UOF Staff doesn't like. Keep in mind though perfectly thrown pots cannot be kicked -- manually or via macro.
Who is dat you speak of? If I remember right, it wasn't him that got the damn feature removed.

it basically was.. he kept on saying that he didnt use a macro for it (which he did... he always precasted an ebolt so that his potkick macro wudnt throw his pre-casted gheal on his opponents but that ebolt) but he did.. then Azria copied the script and I eventually sent it to Staff.

halygon

Grandmaster
it basically was.. he kept on saying that he didnt use a macro for it (which he did... he always precasted an ebolt so that his potkick macro wudnt throw his pre-casted gheal on his opponents but that ebolt) but he did.. then Azria copied the script and I eventually sent it to Staff.
Now you are just sounding like a disgruntled macro-nazi. I don't know whether he used a macro or not (and neither do you), but I do know that he was a good addition to the PvP community on UOF, and we are at a loss for not having him or his brother here.

Btw, throw better purples and they won't get kicked.

Strife

Master
Now you are just sounding like a disgruntled macro-nazi. I don't know whether he used a macro or not (and neither do you), but I do know that he was a good addition to the PvP community on UOF, and we are at a loss for not having him or his brother here.

Btw, throw better purples and they won't get kicked.
Who did we lose/????

halygon

Grandmaster
Doesn't seem like it, seems like everyone just has a macro with the exact delay time so that they never miss no matter how much you run around.
They have macros that monitor the system messages and makes delays based off of that. The timers are random.