PVP Archery

Cerebellum

Grandmaster
Started a new thread so we don't derail the butler update thread.

Comment from butler thread:

Scribe archer with vanq supremely bow can be pretty effective and fun to play in small group pvp. A large issue might be that it's way easier to get a bronze war hammer for 5k compared to a good vanq bow that can cost more then triple the war hammer price.

IMO the problem with PVP Archery is the swing speed, heals are too easy to complete before the next swing. Assuming that the swing rate of bows isn't going to change, this could easily be fixed with explo pots being allowed.

I know a year ago when it was tested Adam said it was too OP, but I think we should maybe re-visit it and allow it for a bit to see what happens.

Maybe take away a % of damage bonus when alchemy is present with archery?

IMO the problem with PVP Archery is the swing speed, heals are too easy to complete before the next swing. Assuming that the swing rate of bows isn't going to change, this could easily be fixed with explo pots being allowed.

I know a year ago when it was tested Adam said it was too OP, but I think we should maybe re-visit it and allow it for a bit to see what happens.

Thought I would give your thread some love. I have always been a huge archery fan though on this shard you are fucked.

I heard a rumor that Shane hates archery so good luck getting any changes.

I was on an bard archer and three people were taking on a pk. Two of us where archers and I was doing 10 points of damage. 3vs1 he got two of us. Good luck getting any changes. People have bitched forever and no changes. Start donating a ton and get on Shane's list and you might be heard.

Cerebellum

Grandmaster
Thought I would give your thread some love. I have always been a huge archery fan though on this shard you are fucked.

I heard a rumor that Shane hates archery so good luck getting any changes.

I was on an bard archer and three people were taking on a pk. Two of us where archers and I was doing 10 points of damage. 3vs1 he got two of us. Good luck getting any changes. People have bitched forever and no changes. Start donating a ton and get on Shane's list and you might be heard.

@Shane do you hate archery?

Experience

Grandmaster
Archery will probably get no love in PVP as it is deemed OP for some reason....I've never been able to kill someone 1 vs 1 with my archer on this server...

Dazmiuth

Neophyte
On another server I played on you could use dp with archery. You would basically apply poison to a rag and have it in your pack (with charges just like a dp'd melee weapon) then your arrows would have a chance to apply the poison on a hit (same percentage as a melee weapon). This change alone would make archery more viable in pvp. Wouldn't have to change swing rate or damage.

Blair

Master
I'm hesitant to change anything about archery right now solely because of Booty Island. I have a strong feeling that place is going to be archer heaven, so any change now could mean a broken template later.

On another server I played on you could use dp with archery. You would basically apply poison to a rag and have it in your pack (with charges just like a dp'd melee weapon) then your arrows would have a chance to apply the poison on a hit (same percentage as a melee weapon). This change alone would make archery more viable in pvp. Wouldn't have to change swing rate or damage.

This will only happen when hell freezes over.

Cerebellum

Grandmaster
I'm hesitant to change anything about archery right now solely because of Booty Island. I have a strong feeling that place is going to be archer heaven, so any change now could mean a broken template later.

This will only happen when hell freezes over.

I honestly think that removing the explo restriction will fix pvp archery. An archer has the same range / LOS that a mage does, so they can't have any more of a benefit than the mage would.

Blair

Master
I'd consider pretty much everything other than poisoned arrows. Sorry if I seemed overly harsh but I just wanted to shut that down asap.

My main concern is that on Booty Island where it's insta-hit archers will be chaining pots, and stutter stepping. It would be relentless and I don't know if there would be much you could do to stop it. That's why I want to wait a bit before addressing this.

Cerebellum

Grandmaster
I'd consider pretty much everything other than poisoned arrows. Sorry if I seemed overly harsh but I just wanted to shut that down asap.

My main concern is that on Booty Island where it's insta-hit archers will be chaining pots, and stutter stepping. It would be relentless and I don't know if there would be much you could do to stop it. That's why I want to wait a bit before addressing this.

PvP won't only be limited to Booty Island though...so leave the current ruleset in place for Booty Island and fix it everywhere else? I'm not sure it works that way, but if it does, isn't this a possibility?

kurtis

Grandmaster

As a side point to the post you quoted, vanq-equivalent bows are potentially way easier to come by and cheaper than bronze runics. You just chop up some heartwood+ logs and you'll be cranking out [exceptional/force] or higher bows on your fletcher no problem. And you're not restricted by BOD limitations or charges. Right now there is no market for those bows, though, and they just get trash barreled unless they have high accuracy because nobody uses archery in PvP. PvMers want slayers and/or very high accuracy. But if archery was viable in PvP you'd see a market for those bows and they would be very cheap.

Archery definitely needs some PvP love, I don't think many would argue with that. Part of the issue is how outrageously effective armor is - even exceptional barbed armor. The armored shrouds and patches just compounds the problem. But that's true for all weapon skills at the moment. Couple that with slow swing speed (slow spell disruption), and the inability to throw explo pots (currently a dexer's bread and butter damage dealer), and you have something that just doesn't cut it on the field.

I'm thinking mainly in terms of faction fighting, and debating if I would use archery if explo pots were allowed. I honestly still think I'd stick to Magery as a 7th skill. I'm sure some would drop Magery/Poisoning for Archery, but I don't think it would un-level the playing field. Booty island is another story. That's the trouble with creating a new area with different rulesets.

K A Z

Grandmaster
everyone who thinks that archery + pots is a good idea has little to no knowledge of this server's PVP mechanics. On UOF the swing timer for archery does reset while you run, so basically that'd mean that an archer could chase you around with pots, and then stand still for a split second to get a 40-50 dmg hit off (basically an instantly casted flamestrike).

bad, bad idea. People have to accept that Archery sucks in UOR.

Harry Berries

Grandmaster
everyone who thinks that archery + pots is a good idea has little to no knowledge of this server's PVP mechanics. On UOF the swing timer for archery does reset while you run, so basically that'd mean that an archer could chase you around with pots, and then stand still for a split second to get a 40-50 dmg hit off (basically an instantly casted flamestrike).

bad, bad idea. People have to accept that Archery sucks in UOR.
Never ever seen a bow hit for 40-50... Especially with how strong armor is. The group pvp is pro Mage and nothing else. Although a e bolt with a pot is way more OP than any archer shot. EB doesn't miss...

Harry Berries

Grandmaster
The idea of being able to drink pots tho may help.. When you disarm a bow to drink a pot you have to wait for a full timer to shoot again.. That's worse to me than not being able to throw pots. So maybe you can throw pots empty handed then equip and shoot... Or just be able to drink pots while holding a bow would really really help he pvp aspect. Maybe break the pvm tho... :/

K A Z

Grandmaster
Never ever seen a bow hit for 40-50... Especially with how strong armor is. The group pvp is pro Mage and nothing else. Although a e bolt with a pot is way more OP than any archer shot. EB doesn't miss...

even if its just 20-35 (and actually I've been hit for much more in the 2 1/2 years I've been on this server) it'd still be insane. But let's go for it - nothing better than makin kids cry who insisted on a change so hard.

Lailoken

Journeyman
You are forgetting one huge problem.

You have to be able to HIT. Right now a GM archer can't even fall on his own arrow and get a hit.
Hit ratio is way off.
I'm actually going to try and lower my archery skill to see if it effects hit ratio. I have a feeling that it does. Trick might be to simply run archery at 95 instead of 100. If so, problem solved, archery becomes PvP viable if you can hit your target.

K A Z

Grandmaster
You are forgetting one huge problem.

You have to be able to HIT. Right now a GM archer can't even fall on his own arrow and get a hit.
Hit ratio is way off.
I'm actually going to try and lower my archery skill to see if it effects hit ratio. I have a feeling that it does. Trick might be to simply run archery at 95 instead of 100. If so, problem solved, archery becomes PvP viable if you can hit your target.

use magic bows you cheap ass biatchhhh. Even the high end ones sell for little to nothing. Magic Archery weapons give + archery (better chance to hit). Kaz wisdom nd all, u kno,

Harry Berries

Grandmaster
use magic bows you cheap ass biatchhhh. Even the high end ones sell for little to nothing. Magic Archery weapons give + archery (better chance to hit). Kaz wisdom nd all, u kno,
Dude wrestling decreases hit chance... Archers dexxers whatever they all miss non stop

K A Z

Grandmaster
Dude wrestling decreases hit chance... Archers dexxers whatever they all miss non stop

the more skill you have in yer weapon skill the better is the chance for you to actually hit. Magic archery weapons give + archery. Where is your point.