Poker system

Hambeast

Adept
I should also add that almost everyone wants poker fitted and tailored to their own personal needs.

It just gets ridiculous after awhile and is REALLY hard for us to take seriously.

I can see where you're coming from on the ridiculous requests from some of the replies to this thread.

Having said that, I don't think the suggestions I made are out of the ordinary for any online poker cash game.

Would you guys be willing to let a 3rd party develop the poker module with your dev approval? I already know the system you guys are using and wouldn't mind working in a few features that you guys could merge into your own system if approved.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

kurtis

Grandmaster
I can see where you're coming from on the ridiculous requests from some of the replies to this thread.

Having said that, I don't think the suggestions I made are out of the ordinary for any online poker cash game.

Would you guys be willing to let a 3rd party develop the poker module with your dev approval? I already know the system you guys are using and wouldn't mind working in a few features that you guys could merge into your own system if approved.

LoL. I anticipate some Superuser code going in...POTRIPPER?!? :p

First order of business Hambeast....lower the rake!

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
a 3rd party perhaps, but i don't know honestly.

I have an issue with the high end poker table. The low end one is fine and great, but when someone can lose months worth of grinded gold in a 6 hour period they tend to quit, complain, and be unreal bitter about UOForever and that's understandable- This has happened before for sure.

I also think it's nuts that someone can walk in with 500k gold and leave with 6 million gold in one night.
Usually these people are also veteran status type players who really don't need that 6 million, however taking it from those who are not veteran status who could use that gold. It's a lot of wolfs feasting on the sheep in a mini game within a game which makes those sheep quit the game, and those wolfs get so much gold that they get bored and also quit.

In the end i'm not seeing the benefit to Ultima Online Forever as a whole.

Slick Brick

Grandmaster
I should also add that almost everyone wants poker fitted and tailored to their own personal needs.

It just gets ridiculous after awhile and is REALLY hard for us to take seriously.
The winners are going to admonish it while the losers are going to hate it. Gambling is addicting and can be destructive. Lol. Like I said I think it's fine the way you have it set up now, aside from maybe an All-In button. Also you are right about it being back-burner-- this is just something in-game to have a little fun much like Checkers, Chess, Dice rolling etc. I'm glad to have it and definitely don't want the few whiners to cause it to get removed. I for one have done very well off the poker tables and have almost lost it all as well. It's high risk, high reward and I don't think a lot of people have legitly played poker in live tournaments and I don't think a lot of people get the risk involved so they complain.

Edit: About the 6 million in a few hours and wolves hunting sheep, I don't really see it this way as I started as a "sheep" with 25k and worked my way up, knowing the risks. The thing is people who don't really understand the game shouldn't just go sit down with ALL their money and go all-in because they have a pair. If you wanted to remedy people losing EVERYTHING, maybe make it where you can only bet with 20% of your bankroll or something like that. If someone ragequits over losing all their money in poker, I'm sorry to say they have no one to blame but themselves.

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster
agreed, all in button would be very nice.

However, you can currently miss two hands and then get the boot. If ppl had the option to go afk, like sit out a blind they could just click that and save themselves 20k and not get kicked from the table.
No. Skipping a blind you have to pay the blind you missed when you reenter the game or you must wait for the next big blind irl

signature field is blank

VFingerDiscount

Grandmaster

I have to disagree as I personally have only requested things that make the game as realistic as possible I.e. standard rules, no tailoring to my preferences. [emoji3]

signature field is blank

Hambeast

Adept

I have an issue with the high end poker table. The low end one is fine and great, but when someone can lose months worth of grinded gold in a 6 hour period they tend to quit, complain, and be unreal bitter about UOForever and that's understandable- This has happened before for sure.

I also think it's nuts that someone can walk in with 500k gold and leave with 6 million gold in one night.
Usually these people are also veteran status type players who really don't need that 6 million, however taking it from those who are not veteran status who could use that gold. It's a lot of wolfs feasting on the sheep in a mini game within a game which makes those sheep quit the game, and those wolfs get so much gold that they get bored and also quit.

Isn't that a good thing though? A new player gets 3-5m from a 250k investment and a vet loses that much. It hurts the vet way less.

New player who is now rich buys more stuff that the vet may never have bought, thus stimulating the economy

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster

Ansem borrowed the 500k he used to gamble and win.

It's 95% a game of skill.

Anyone who gambles understands the consequences.

Everyone who plays here is an adult.

Benefits:
1. A ton of people play it
2. It was HIGHLY requested
3. Gives people another thing to do
4. It's a gold sink

My main concern would be collusion when you have multiple people in vent running up pots etc. I would be surprised if this isn't happening already.

Hambeast

Adept

Benefits:
4. It's a gold sink

My main concern would be collusion when you have multiple people in vent running up pots etc. I would be surprised if this isn't happening already.

nearly impossible to stop this sort of thing too. but same thing could be said for online poker

Slick Brick

Grandmaster

Benefits:
4. It's a gold sink

I've honestly only seen one person trying to party up with people and team up, but they were terrible and lost all their money anyways so I'm not too concerned about it.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
nearly impossible to stop this sort of thing too. but same thing could be said for online poker

Idk about online poker but isn't there like, thousands of people playing? Can you pick your table?

Here it's only like ~500 people on the shard and waaaay less that play poker, and there's only one table.

Slick Brick

Grandmaster
Idk about online poker but isn't there like, thousands of people playing? Can you pick your table?

Here it's only like ~500 people on the shard and waaaay less that play poker, and there's only one table.
You could always play an 18 person sit and go or cash game with 9 people. Generally though they won't let you sit down at 9 person table from same IP, so you would have to be skypeing or something

Hambeast

Adept

dude there's way more than 500 people on shard. The other day there was 1200 on. set a new record.

Anyways, yeah what slick brick said.

Vendetta

Apprentice
I vote do away with the big poker table. I agree its terrible for someone to lose and win that much but going off of what started this thread (my complaints), i have lost a lot of gold on that table with a hand that was unbeatable because of a flaw somewhere in the scripting... that smaller tables fine because you can lose that much. I can collect jewels or weapons and sell to and NPC after one trip to the dungeons and get a buy-in for the small table. the large table is likea WTF JUST HAPPENED thing if the hand is called wrong.

Hambeast

Adept
I vote do away with the big poker table. I agree its terrible for someone to lose and win that much but going off of what started this thread (my complaints), i have lost a lot of gold on that table with a hand that was unbeatable because of a flaw somewhere in the scripting... that smaller tables fine because you can lose that much. I can collect jewels or weapons and sell to and NPC after one trip to the dungeons and get a buy-in for the small table. the large table is likea WTF JUST HAPPENED thing if the hand is called wrong.

sorry but I've never seen what you are suggesting happen. It sounds like you got a bad beat and are upset by it but this happens.

If you had a screenshot to back it up, I'd be more inclined to believe it.

Vendetta

Apprentice
sorry but I've never seen what you are suggesting happen. It sounds like you got a bad beat and are upset by it but this happens.

If you had a screenshot to back it up, I'd be more inclined to believe it.
Ill post a pic of the next few times it happens. It seems to happen twice a day. The QQ,88, AA is a bad beat. it was just strange all 3 players had pocket pairs at the time.