Pet Happiness

Lexington

Grandmaster
I believe instead of that you could purchase an item for say like 5k donation coins or something that if you are logged out and your pet is bonded and it is not in the stables it will stable within say like 2-3 hours and has a 1 time use.
@Shane
@Adam

Hey its an idea for sure but a damn expensive insurance policy in comparison.

Lexington

Grandmaster
I mean the price could be changed, but it's something that you would only hopefully have to buy once *cross fingers*. It's just an oh shit purchase

Totally agree... These are all good constructive ideas. I personally don't have one but I think this is a topic well worth discussion considering that this pet is tied to donation items in so many ways now.

I'll give ya a thumbs up... To me you brought a well thought out idea with a few options for discussion.

I personally never made the connection between all donation items being blessed and my pet until you made me think about the fact I did spend 15k dono on a dye. Would suck big time if somthing unforeseen happened to my connection, PC, RL emergency etc that would result in my pet timing out. I hope this gets a look and maybe some discussion from the powers to be??
This is the very reason for wanting something to be done. Just now a guildy lost connection and asked me to come watch his pet and had issues logging in, but thankfully he was able to log back in. Though he logged off that toon in fear of continuing connection issues and not wanting to lose his pet.

Thanks Lexington for your feedback.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Ok I got an idea!!

A donation stone of transformation to turn your normal meta pet into an ethy like meta pet that needs to be activated from your back pack and is forced back into your back pack when you log or drop connection. Yes, yes I know it will take away from the traditional type of griefing and pet stealing but this is a custom pet and server!?

Ok I got an idea!!

A donation stone of transformation to turn your normal meta pet into an ethy like meta pet that needs to be activated from your back pack and is forced back into your back pack when you log or drop connection. Yes, yes I know it will take away from the traditional type of griefing and pet stealing but this is a custom pet and server!?
Do you know how hard that would be to code? =P Having a pet turn into an ethy in your pack maybe not that bad, but keeping the same skills and items that your current pet has when switching back and forth..... That would be very difficult

Lexington

Grandmaster
Do you know how hard that would be to code? =P Having a pet turn into an ethy in your pack maybe not that bad, but keeping the same skills and items that your current pet has when switching back and forth..... That would be very difficult

Adam is a genius. :)

Couldn't the meta stone be the thing that saves all the current progress when the pet is turned into a statue?

Auto stable would be a better model, plus then if you do what you suggest it removes the purchase each time you need it and makes it a set price for life

Lexington

Grandmaster
Auto stable would be a better model, plus then if you do what you suggest it removes the purchase each time you need it and makes it a set price for life

True but the introduction of insurance was one of the things that eventually resulted in the original demise of UO.

Yep that's the one.... Just wouldn't want to see one type of insurance evolve into another is all.
That isn't what this is, hence the timer of 2-3 hours. If it was immediate and you set it to where it was cheap and instant. People would just alt f4 and not ever get pets housed

kurtis

Grandmaster
I can appreciate something like this, as I have had my entire internet go down for what I thought was the night. Luckily my internet came back on a few hours later. But if it hadn't, I would have loss my pets. And they weren't even metas, but I still would have been bummed. This should include any pet, not just metas.

If something like this is implemented, I don't think it can interfere in any way with the stealing/housing/boating of pets. It's just a way to give your pet extra time before it goes wild in order for one to re-login from internet that went down or re-login after some kind of emergency. When it would normally go wild, you get a 24-hour extension or something.

There's nothing crappier than getting burned by connection loss. That's how I got my PK perma statted on OSI. It's just a bummer.

Weland

Grandmaster
The pet warning is for the new people to the shard don't know about pet stealing. New people to the shard probably don't know to buy summoning balls, for when people steal their pets. (When I got my meta, I had no clue it could get stolen till a guildy told me)My post is not about my pet getting stolen, it is about how I think the time it takes for your pet to go wild is too short. I would like it longer. Not everyone can be online all the time. Many people play then go to bed and then get up and go to work., and then by the time they get online and notice that their pet didn't get stabled it is too late.

My idea might be dumb to a lot of people. Though level a meta pet to stage seven(about two months of grinding from stage one) and buy a meta stone. Next spend about 10 mil or so on relics alone. After that come tell me you wouldn't want some type of insurance on your investment. It takes over two weeks for a house to decay, and no house other than maybe a Shard Auctioned castle is worth more than a meta fully leveled.

Having insurance on something that is worth close to 15-20 mil is not dumb to me.

Wait people can steal your pets? How do you steal a pet?

King Dingaling

Grandmaster
i like the idea of extending the wild timer...

i only have basic pets (wyrm mare dragon) and i make damn sure i stable them when i log. every. single. time. even when i go park at the docks over night i stable my mare and get on my ethy just in case it goes wild. people have to be a lot more careful with their 400 dollar pets. i think extending the wild timer would be best bet if you have a crash and cant get back on. it doesnt seem difficult to code (wtf do i know), and its not really OP as their is really no downside to it

Bromista

Grandmaster
There is merit to this idea.

And for anyone doing the whole "nobody forced you to pay $$ for your meta" song and dance, do you have any idea how many in-game hours it would take to raise that amount of funds in gold?? Some would argue it would be just as much if not more of a crushing blow if that were the case as opposed to donations.

Currently release time is twelve hrs, 24 if your pet is a ghost.

There are rules in place to keep accounts per IP down, so having a friend log in to stable your pet can be difficult if you don't have anywhere else to log in yourself. Or if there is an RL situation that prevents your from even reaching out to another player.

Shit happens, you know.

tader

Expert
I like this idea of for no other reason than if your internet drops severer storm power failure(yes I have been 2 weeks with out power when post hurricane) or computer failure. Real life shit happens and loosing a meta would suck because of something RL out of your control.

Forgetting to stable it or rage quitting and leaving it out is your own dam fault but the other reasons while not as common do happen and would be just add insult to injury.