Pet Happiness

Shane asked for some ideas about a week ago for donation item ideas.

How many of you stress about whether or not you stabled your pet? We have all heard the horror stories of people losing their meta pets due to not stabling them or some glitch. I have to say there have been several times I have logged off and then woke up and rushed to my computer to check to see if I made this mistake.

Most of the things spent on the donation vendor are blessed ie clothing items, ethereal mounts, dyes. Though when it comes to the meta pet - 15k -18k for a meta pet dye, meta stone, pet summoning ball, and dust for the summoning ball. Anyone who has a meta pet has probably spent a lot of money on donation coins to fund their meta pet or to sale for cash to buy relics and what not. Then losing your meta pet due to your pet losing happiness, is just money down the drain now. I have to say if I lost my Level 7 meta that has a QS/Molten/Bloody/Nox relics on it, I would just quit. I have spent over 400 dollars on my meta pet, and he is one of the main reasons I play this shard.

My suggestion is for a donation item that would make your meta pet blessed. If this is to extreme then maybe a pet happiness extension. That makes your pet happiness last for 48 hours. This would give people time to log back in ball their pet if they made a mistake. Something needs to be done due to the large amount of money that meta pet owners have spent on their pets. (I have to buy powder for my ball about every two weeks, depending how many times I get pked or people grief my pet at champs and lure mobs on him and I have to recall and ball him.) Why do I ball him, because the cost of Skill Scrolls to bring all the skills back up is cheaper than one charge on my ball. A level 7 meta pets magery can only be raised by SS, same with poisoning(40k and need two each time he dies). Just two magerys and two poisoning puts you at 100k and that isn't all the ones you need.

If you think this is a good idea please give me a like or respond with your own idea. If we get enough people agreeing with this maybe it will reach Shane or Adam and get something put in place.

Thanks,
Corbyn Dallas

Swayze

Grandmaster
I don't think he is referring to stat loss of the pet, but simply more time before it goes wild in case someone forgets to stable. Basically saying increase the time before it goes wild or turns back into an egg and therefore you have lost everything.

Oh, well I mean you have on one hand someone who forgets to ball their pet and they get pk'd and it gets housed. If it is blessed they have a perma pet slot taken forever so?

Ceazar

Expert
My suggestion is for a donation item that would make your meta pet blessed. If this is to extreme then maybe a pet happiness extension. That makes your pet happiness last for 48 hours. This would give people time to log back in ball their pet if they made a mistake. Something needs to be done due to the large amount of money that meta pet owners have spent on their pets. (I have to buy powder for my ball about every two weeks, depending how many times I get pked or people grief my pet at champs and lure mobs on him and I have to recall and ball him.) Why do I ball him, because the cost of Skill Scrolls to bring all the skills back up is cheaper than one charge on my ball. A level 7 meta pets magery can only be raised by SS, same with poisoning(40k and need two each time he dies). Just two magerys and two poisoning puts you at 100k and that isn't all the ones you need.

Nobody is making you spend all that money on your meta. What kind of "mistakes" are you talking about?

Nobody is making you spend all that money on your meta. What kind of "mistakes" are you talking about?
I know no one made me spend money on them, but I did. I had a guildy swears up and down that he stabled his pet, but went to sleep and woke up the next day and logged on and his meta pet was gone. He had a stage 4 meta with a MC on it, and now had to go and buy another egg, and buy a new molten.

No one is making people spend money on meta's but they are, and it would be really nice to have some type of insurance that your meta wont be gone in 12 hours if you forget to stable him.

Oh, well I mean you have on one hand someone who forgets to ball their pet and they get pk'd and it gets housed. If it is blessed they have a perma pet slot taken forever so?
This a good point, so maybe the blessed pet would be linked to your summoning ball. IE you cant use the pet bless deed unless you have a summoning ball. Or use my other suggestion and just extended the time it takes to for your pet to go wild with this donation purchase.

So zero stat loss for pets when they die? Or pure loss of pet?
I was never asking for no stat loss, just a better insurance that you wont lose your meta pet or any pet for that. I think the wild timer is to short.

I was just making a point for when a level seven meta dies, how much it costs to replace those skill. Just trying to further my point of how much time, gold, and money people invest in their metas all to have them disappear if you forget to stable him.

Ceazar

Expert
I think its all pretty dumb. You even have huge warnings now at the stable because people cry so much about their meta pet getting stolen if they go afk. Stable your pet or dont go afk. Its pretty simple. Maybe a certain piece of food you could feet your pet and he would stay happy for a longer period of time form the point he was fed. I still dont really see how that would help.

I think its all pretty dumb. You even have huge warnings now at the stable because people cry so much about their meta pet getting stolen if they go afk. Stable your pet or dont go afk. Its pretty simple. Maybe a certain piece of food you could feet your pet and he would stay happy for a longer period of time form the point he was fed. I still dont really see how that would help.
The pet warning is for the new people to the shard don't know about pet stealing. New people to the shard probably don't know to buy summoning balls, for when people steal their pets. (When I got my meta, I had no clue it could get stolen till a guildy told me)My post is not about my pet getting stolen, it is about how I think the time it takes for your pet to go wild is too short. I would like it longer. Not everyone can be online all the time. Many people play then go to bed and then get up and go to work., and then by the time they get online and notice that their pet didn't get stabled it is too late.

My idea might be dumb to a lot of people. Though level a meta pet to stage seven(about two months of grinding from stage one) and buy a meta stone. Next spend about 10 mil or so on relics alone. After that come tell me you wouldn't want some type of insurance on your investment. It takes over two weeks for a house to decay, and no house other than maybe a Shard Auctioned castle is worth more than a meta fully leveled.

Having insurance on something that is worth close to 15-20 mil is not dumb to me.

Ceazar

Expert
I would never waste that much time and money on something like that in the first place but thats neither here nor there. Everyone has their own priorities. If you goto all that effort and are dumb enough to not stable your meta you deserve to lose it.

I would never waste that much time and money on something like that in the first place but thats neither here nor there. Everyone has their own priorities. If you goto all that effort and are dumb enough to not stable your meta you deserve to lose it.
@halygon
@Skye Wolfbane

Can you either provide some type of constructive input, other than that is dumb, or please just stop bashing my thread.

Last edited by a moderator:

Salya Sin

Neophyte
I'm new to the shard so forgive me... Can you get the metapets any other way? Because if it is solely obtained by purchasing, then there should be a buffer of sorts to limit loss. Period. It's not like buying gold or resources... items you expect to use/lose, and whereas I have bought many items and other in many different games, I would be hesitant to buy something that I could lose by simply logging out for the night. There are many circumstances where this could be required in a hurry. I.E. What if you're playing and the power goes out (a recent occurrence for me) and it stays out for more than 12 hours (been there recently too, fun times!)? It is the season for storms and such. I would have lost both the item and felt cheated out of the money I spent.

If the pet can be acquired in game from normal play... it seems fair to say that the rules for pets should apply across the board. Buying it instead of playing to get it was a choice and all pet rules should apply as normal. Otherwise you are essentially punishing those who do not have the means to purchase from the store.

It's a tricky call. There are a lot of circumstances where you could be logged out and unable to stable your pet. I once lost a near perfect Greater Dragon to another power loss so I can relate but maybe I'm funny about real money vs time and in game currency.

Jimmy

Master
I like the idea of an expensive add-on to the summoning ball which uses a charge when your pet is about to go wild and gives a 24hour extension. Limit to one charge at a time or something.

This doesn't mess with pet trapping because you'd need a summoning ball charge anyway. Basically just gives a back up plan to people who get DCed or accidentally logs off some insurance.

Hell make it 1mil gp or something so it's not economical to use it on all pets.

As for the "pay to win" argument: that ship has already sailed with pet summoning balls. I don't think this changes much since it'd only impact those rich enough to bother with high level metas and relics anyway.

Worth exploring!

I'm new to the shard so forgive me... Can you get the metapets any other way? Because if it is solely obtained by purchasing, then there should be a buffer of sorts to limit loss. Period. It's not like buying gold or resources... items you expect to use/lose, and whereas I have bought many items and other in many different games, I would be hesitant to buy something that I could lose by simply logging out for the night. There are many circumstances where this could be required in a hurry. I.E. What if you're playing and the power goes out (a recent occurrence for me) and it stays out for more than 12 hours (been there recently too, fun times!)? It is the season for storms and such. I would have lost both the item and felt cheated out of the money I spent.

If the pet can be acquired in game from normal play... it seems fair to say that the rules for pets should apply across the board. Buying it instead of playing to get it was a choice and all pet rules should apply as normal. Otherwise you are essentially punishing those who do not have the means to purchase from the store.

It's a tricky call. There are a lot of circumstances where you could be logged out and unable to stable your pet. I once lost a near perfect Greater Dragon to another power loss so I can relate but maybe I'm funny about real money vs time and in game currency.
You cannot buy a meta pet with Donation coins. They are found in RDA's(random dungeon adventures). RDA's spawn randomly throughout the world. They look in ways like a fire elemental. You can use tracking to find them, simply track for a monster and picture of a fire elemental will show up as a monster, though it will be labeled a mysterious gate. There I believe five or six different types of RDA's, and the one that drops the meta egg is the dragon RDA. They have a wiki page for meta's http://www.uoforum.com/wiki/index.php?title=Meta_Pets. You can also get them from spending event points(3000) and get a pink one, or certain events have given them out ie zombie land event.

Though back to your topic of paying for items and losing them. There are several costs that come with a meta pet, the are not mandatory though in a way they are. First you need a pet summoning ball(1500) to summon your pet to you. There are people on this shard that will try and steal your meta. If they do and they wait till it goes wild it goes back to an egg. Next is the powder for the charges on the ball(100 dono per charge). Next if you want to put a relic on your meta you need a meta stone(15000 dono) and who doesn't want a relic on their meta. Though eggs and relics are not cheap and hard to get just by playing the game. So many people such as myself have bought dono just to sell it to pay for things that come along with meta pets, ie I bought dono and sold it to pay for part of my 7.5 mil Quick silver relic.

Your example of losing connection due to factors you cannot control is a better example that I should have used than forgetting to stable your meta. Just the other day I was out hunting with a friend who has a meta, she lost internet connection. Her toon logged out but her stage 5 meta was just sitting there. I sat there waiting for her to get back online. Had she had an internet outage for 8-12 hours she would have lost her meta(and she had the purple dye on it 18000 dono). She would have lost it all,

So this emphasizes my point for a need of pet bless deed, or a way to buy extended pet happiness.

Thank you for your post Salya Sin.

Lexington

Grandmaster
I'll give ya a thumbs up... To me you brought a well thought out idea with a few options for discussion.

I personally never made the connection between all donation items being blessed and my pet until you made me think about the fact I did spend 15k dono on a dye. Would suck big time if somthing unforeseen happened to my connection, PC, RL emergency etc that would result in my pet timing out. I hope this gets a look and maybe some discussion from the powers to be??

I believe instead of that you could purchase an item for say like 5k donation coins or something that if you are logged out and your pet is bonded and it is not in the stables it will stable within say like 2-3 hours and has a 1 time use.
@Shane
@Adam

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe instead of that you could purchase an item for say like 5k donation coins or something that if you are logged out and your pet is bonded and it is not in the stables it will stable within say like 2-3 hours and has a 1 time use.
That is not a bad idea, hope Shane and Adam are looking into this. I would definitely buy this as an insurance.