New to UO, and am overwhelmed...greatly

xSyK0TiC

Im not new to MMORPGs. Im 26 now, and my first was FFXI, then was WoW and EQ2. But this is a whole new ball game. Maybe its the archaic old school form that makes it seem difficult lol. But I love it. The classic feel, and I've heard nothing but good things about this game, so I want to get it a legit start. I finally was able to get it full screen or windowed to my resolution, and i wanted to make a necro character but it says im missing some expansion? So I went with a mage and went to some moon island place since it said it was for mage types. I couldnt find the starting guide person like the message said. Over all Im just lost, cant you tell?

eppy

Grandmaster
Oh wow. There are no necros on this server. Just start a new character and begin in Britain. Then more people can help you.

xSyK0TiC

Also whats a good fullscreen size, I put it on the size of my monitor but my taskbar is in the way. I am guessing UO is just go wherever do whatever? Kind of like the elder scroll series?

limlight

Grandmaster
Honestly...ive played every rpg from early fallout. Elder scrolls...to brigandine..shining force..ff..breath if firw...earthbound....from nes to 360...you will never play a game like this. Its diablo on crack with a pinch of wtf just happened.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Babethoven

Grandmaster
welcome, dont let the greifers run you off.... im sure majority of us have played this game since we were teens and still grown ass men/woman playing a game thats out lasted many many many other games...... hope you enjoy it half as much as we have over the years!

Metalhead-

Master
Also whats a good fullscreen size, I put it on the size of my monitor but my taskbar is in the way. I am guessing UO is just go wherever do whatever? Kind of like the elder scroll series?

Yeah it's a complete sandbox world. No real quest or anything to follow apart from what you desire. Some get into the pvp scenes be it PKing/factions/guild wars, other RP heavily down towards Trinsic, and others make lots of in game money.

The era we play in here is before races and classes were introduced. Here you can build a character and completely change him or her 6 months from now to do something and be something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gedron

Master
Im not new to MMORPGs. Im 26 now, and my first was FFXI, then was WoW and EQ2. But this is a whole new ball game. Maybe its the archaic old school form that makes it seem difficult lol. But I love it. The classic feel, and I've heard nothing but good things about this game, so I want to get it a legit start. I finally was able to get it full screen or windowed to my resolution, and i wanted to make a necro character but it says im missing some expansion? So I went with a mage and went to some moon island place since it said it was for mage types. I couldnt find the starting guide person like the message said. Over all Im just lost, cant you tell?

Welcome to UO! You'll never have another gaming experience like this, I assure you! PM me on irc and I will gear you up and give you some pointers.

Fenix

Journeyman
I'm at work atm but PM me man, when i get home I'll give you a hand learning essentials and gold earning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

xSyK0TiC

I will defiantly take you guys up on your offers, community seems awesoome so far. Graphics are not what concern me, I just want a deep long lasting experience that I can just hop on anytime and do something meaningful. Explore, killing mobs, finding cool stuff, maybe a bit of roleplaying here and there since the world seems ripe with RP possibilities. I may get my wife into it if it turns out to be awesome, but Ive heard nothing but good things. I haven't even played a full 5 minutes lol, I started in brit and then just started walking. Didn't know how to attack a monster or use any skills or if I even have any as a mage. I may just custom build a character, cause I wanted to be a type of pirate if thats any fun since it said you can sail the seas or w/e lol.

a burglar

Novice

Welcome, be sure to watch your stuff. People like me will steal it!

Google the web for anything. UO is highly complex compared to nowadays games and offers way more playing options to anything ever created.
The learning curve will be weeks, not hours. Just take it bit by bit.

A hint against frustration: never carry what you cant afford to lose. Sooner or later you are going to lose it. Guaranteed. This game has only 1 safety-net: your bank box

Gesendet von meinem Nokia 6610 mit Tapatalk

Sith2112

Just got back into UO myself after finding UO Forever and I must admit, even though I played years ago - I find myself still confused.
But Like I read in another post - Patience and taking things slow help - as well as google.
I find myself asking why I ever stopped playing this game. After everything that has come out MMO wise, this one still seems so enjoyable.

Finding UOForever - A real GEM.