Never played UO? READ THIS!!

Dig'em

Grandmaster
If you're reading this, somehow you've stumbled across an amazing and intricate game that's managed to keep itself going for decades. But how do you end up like all the rich players you see at the bank? Lots of epic gaming that's how!! But you gotta crawl before you can walk, so how do you get started, get that first million gold check? Here's some pointers that can help get you on your way!!

First off, try and find some friends!! There's normally many people willing to help a new player, if you can get into a nice guild you've really started off well!! Make sure to inquire about guild chat!!

learn your client!! Cannot emphasize this enough, UO uses assisting clients to make your character do most of the actions he's gonna need to do, on our wonderful server, you can use Razor, UOSteam, or Sallos (all downloadable from the Launcher).
The clients IN MY OPINION are oriented like this.

Razor- Most user friendly, simple macroing, good for new players

UOSteam- most features, extensive macro capabilities, good for experienced players or scripters

Sallos- PvP oriented

There are tons of cool and necessary features in all of these. Take some time to look at the Hotkeys menu in the client you've chosen, here you can set skills, spells, items, and other actions to button or button combos on your keyboard, by the time you're finished you'll have plenty of these set!

Make a template!! Your character is allowed 700 "skill points". Each skill can be raised to level 100 ( certain skills can be raised above 100 with the aid of a power scroll but you'll learn about those as you play). 1 level counts as 1 skill point, so you're allowed 7 skills at level 100. There are an assortment of different skills to make your character so choose wisely!! There are three basic types of character, PvP (player vs. player) PvM (player vs. Monster) and Mule (crafter, fisher, etc.) and by no means does your character have to fall into the lines, mix and match to see what suits you!!Ask the friends you've found about some deadly or money making templates they use!!

To set your template, you must open your paperdoll! The paperdoll may be opened by clicking the paperdoll button located on your menu bar hovering at the top of your screen (if you can't see the menu bar look for an arrow hovering on the screen, this arrow hides the menu bar) once your paperdoll is open, select the "skills" tab. Here you'll find all the skills available to you, they're placed in groups related to the skills use, you may make a new group by clicking the "new group" button at the bottom of the skills menu, this is nice for putting all your skills in one place. Drag and drop skills from their original group into your new custom one. Once you have your seven skills selected, locate the small arrow to the right of the skill, there is an arrow for every skill, if you want your skill to raise, the arrow must be pointing up. Set your seven skill arrows to the up position, and go back through the other skills and set their arrows to the down position. You may also lock a skill at a certain level by selecting the arrow until the lock symbol appears. Your skills will all be quite low, they can be trained from NPC's in town for minimal gold, this will put all your skills around 40.

Note: an effective way to raise skills in UO is to macro!! IMPORTANT!!! Some skills are not allowed to be macroed while AFK (away from keyboard) be sure to read the Rules of UO, it'll save you some headache, I promise. Macroing is done using the client discussed earlier, the process is to record your character doing an action, loop it, and play it over and over while your skills raise, skills raise faster in dungeons, but you're much more vulnerable. Dying is certainly something you'll need to get used too, if you die, you turn into a ghost, and your corpse falls where you died, ressurection can be found from wandering healers and shrines if you happen to be outside or in town, or from other players!! The skills healing and anatomy at level 80 allow you to ressurect a ghost, or a Mage that can successfully cast eighth level spells can cast ressurection!! To be ressurected by a player you must be in war made ( Alt+C)

Now if you've met some friends, and one of them is nice enough to lend you some gold, I would suggest making a PVM character to start, these templates take little gold and effort to create, and can farm a lot of gold to pay for the creation of your other characters!! A provocation archer or Mage is most likely your best bet as your first serious PvM template, but you'll need more gold than you start with to finish him, so if you plan on going solo the whole way, don't start this way.

Skills for a provocation archer:
Provocation
Musicianship
Archery
Tactics
Healing
Anatomy
Hiding ( I recommend hiding for new players to help avoid trouble)

Skills for a provocation Mage:
Provocation
Musicianship
Magery
Evaluating intelligence
Meditation
Resisting spells
Hiding

Most of these skills won't work effectively on high end monsters until they are level 100, consider finishing your character before going out for any serious farming

Now if you're more the solo type, I'd advise making a Simple warrior template.

Warrior skills
Swordsmanship-swords, axes, halberds etc..
Fencing-spears, kryss, daggers etc..
Macing-maces, mauls, warhammers etc...
Archery-bows, crossbows etc..

Take one of these skills, and combine with these:
Tactics
Healing
Anatomy
Hiding
Skill of your choice
Skill of your choice

Take your weapon and stomp your way north out of Britain (the town your character started in) and you'll find a graveyard full of low end creatures, you can kill most of these no matter what your level, the loot is not great, but you can slowly grind your way to a small gold cache, and then I'd start building your provo character.

When you've finished a provo template, GET OUT THERE AND FARM!! There's RARES to be bought, houses to build, dragons to tame, an entire World of adventure awaits you!! :)

This was a basic guide, I stumbled across this game on this server and have had a blast, but it was definitely tough to start, hopefully this helps someone and if you have more questions, or something I should add, comment or pm me :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Never used a computer or the internet before? NP. Just kinda wondering how you wound up on a message board about a 2 decade old pixel wizard game is all.

But no matter, we're here to help. Let's start at the beginning. Look at your "computer." Ask it if it is on.

If it doesn't answer, give it a good hard smack and try again. Remember, computers can be 'ornery and require a brutal, sadistic whoopin' from time to time.

And that's all there is to it. Just wail mercilessly on your PC until it does your bidding and wins UO for you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
But how do you end up like all the rich players you see at the bank?

Pay RL money, lol. Any idiot can be rich in this game, it's not an accomplishment. Most of these trammy fucks don't know half there is to know about UO. Having money =/= being good at UO or knowing lots about the game.

With that said, I do like the effort you put forth into helping new players. I'm sure one could write an entire book on all the things there is for new players nowadays to know about the game.

Dig'em

Grandmaster
Pay RL money, lol. Any idiot can be rich in this game, it's not an accomplishment. Most of these trammy fucks don't know half there is to know about UO. Having money =/= being good at UO or knowing lots about the game.

With that said, I do like the effort you put forth into helping new players. I'm sure one could write an entire book on all the things there is for new players nowadays to know about the game.
True, you can just toss a hundred bucks in and make a few mills, but where's the fun in that ;) thanks though, this was my first server so I figured I'd put this here, if I'd of had this my first few months would have been much less painful

Li Meiyang

Grandmaster
Well, $75 nets you 10000 dono coins, which is less than two mil gold. So I guess if you're flush in RL, sure, you can dump money into being rich in-game, but for the price I'd rather just fish or hunt the gold up myself. That's good actually, it keeps some balance to the whole thing and the server generates income and creates content. But I mean, you make a million gold in a day or two of farming or fishing so I don't see the sense in it personally.

CoGDork

Okay, how do you even talk to other players? No chat channels available for me, and it won't let me create one because I'm "not on a team". Furthermore, somehow I'm out of money entirely after buying a mount and the magic hammer, which means I can't buy the longsword needed to progress in the noob quest. I wish this game had an in-game tutorial MENU rather than a quest. But the menu only gives very general info and assumes you already know all the controls and lingo to begin with.

Yoko Kurama

Master
Skills for a provocation archer:
Provocation
Musicianship
Archery
Tactics
Healing
Anatomy
Hiding ( I recommend hiding for new players to help avoid trouble)

Drop hide, get some resist and magery.

Joseph

Journeyman
Okay, how do you even talk to other players? No chat channels available for me, and it won't let me create one because I'm "not on a team". Furthermore, somehow I'm out of money entirely after buying a mount and the magic hammer, which means I can't buy the longsword needed to progress in the noob quest. I wish this game had an in-game tutorial MENU rather than a quest. But the menu only gives very general info and assumes you already know all the controls and lingo to begin with.
Ive seen this bug actually, the quest is suppose to give you money to buy a horse if i remember correctly but you dont get any which makes you unable to purchase the longsword for the quest.

Joseph

Journeyman
I am not sure but I have already bumped this up to development. I have never heard of this issue before.
had a friend try to play uo the other day, he wasnt able to buy the piece for the quest due to him not being given gold for it, thought it was a one time thing until i saw this post