More Player Based Crafting Economy

Struan

Expert
Suggestions:

- Increase chance of runic tools from BODs so that crafters can compete with farming mob drops.

Better yet. Increase the runic tool reward chance, particularly the high end tools, and dial back the mob magic item drop.

Think this would shift the focus more toward player crafted weapons and armor and less on farmed items.

- make all statues/trophies player crafted and none of them mob drops.

Farm for cash and scrolls...spend you hard earned money at a player vendor to get gear or house decorations.

Garet Jax

Grandmaster
Once the smithing bods fix is in, and its an half way good fix then all they would need to do is cut power/vanq drops by about 80%. That would be great.

Oh and do a trade in of some sort with the power/vanqs already flooding the shard to rid a bunch of them.

Gedron

Master
Once the smithing bods fix is in, and its an half way good fix then all they would need to do is cut power/vanq drops by about 80%. That would be great.

Oh and do a trade in of some sort with the power/vanqs already flooding the shard to rid a bunch of them.

My exact thoughts as well. Do a vanq/power sink and lower the vanq/power drops... hell I would say by 95%. I get vanqs almost every round I make it seems. I want to see a UO where everyone wears GM-made gear instead of full sets of invuln and vanqs everywhere!!

What bod fixes are they implementing?

eppy

Grandmaster
Here is the problem with this: buying stuff at vendors is not fun. It is a terrible experience at best. Also, why should they force all of the gold to crafters?

Another way to put it: would you rather kill a balron and get back to your house and id something and find <awesome weapon> or go to yew and search through 50 empty vendors with terrible names all stacked on top of each other?

Messremb

Grandmaster
The only crafting skill that makes any noteworthy amount of money is Tailoring. I think if crafting made better money people would do a better job keeping their vendors stocked, making shopping less pain full. and best of all, if you take that weapon home and identify it to find a indestructible vanq +25 Kat, its now worth 500k instead of 50k.

Seems like win win to me.

@eppy, more sales would mean more competition, which in turn will mean clearer and better stocked vendors.

That's how I see that issue.

With the original post, though, I think only Blacksmithy runic hammer reward chances should be increased. Tailoring is fine as is. Making statues crafted items instead of low chance loot is a terrible idea in my opinion; collecting them through your own PvM is fun, buying them is not.

Struan

Expert
I think the reason that vendors are so prolific is because it is predominately a farming based economy. I agree it is painful to shop.

Suggestions to help that:

1) Higher cost of vendor contract - 50k?
2) Much higher minimum daily cost to operate vendors - maybe 2-5k?

Combine that with the upped BS runic hammer drops. (WoL is right, think Tailor is ok as is)
(Runic fletching tools and runic saws.. for bows and q-staff?)

Implement it all at the same time and I think you would see significantly less vendors and those remaining would be stocked.

I don't think this would force all the gold to the crafters. The drop rate for mobs was only a suggestion on dialing back not eliminating, just something to give the BS market more draw. Maybe 25% or 50% and only if they combine it with the runic hammer drop rate increase.

Warrior o'Lice - Statues - ya ok, leave as is. I just don't have any and want to make them. I don't have a tamer so it would be easier for me, so I like that.

Gedron

Master
Here is the problem with this: buying stuff at vendors is not fun. It is a terrible experience at best. Also, why should they force all of the gold to crafters?

Another way to put it: would you rather kill a balron and get back to your house and id something and find <awesome weapon> or go to yew and search through 50 empty vendors with terrible names all stacked on top of each other?

I think you missed our point. We are advocating for less saturation of magics in the economy. There is no reason to use GM gear when magics are so cheap and readily available. Doing this would not only help crafters sell GM made products, but it would greatly help pvp I feel.

I for one would never suggest all the gold being shifted to crafters, or any certain group for that matter. As it stands right now, all the money IS shifted to the grinders. I make 10x the gold on my bard than on my crafter. Hope that makes more sense!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Warrior o'Lice - Statues - ya ok, leave as is. I just don't have any and want to make them. I don't have a tamer so it would be easier for me, so I like that.
I think maybe my use of the word "terrible" was a bit over the top, and I am by no means an authority here. I actually don't have a tamer myself, I only really use dexers and summoning for PvM.

If there were crafted statues but they weren't of the same look as the statues already dropped as loot, I could be down with that.

Metalhead-

Master
I'd like to see much more incentive for smiths and other crafters to participate and make more money. A vanq anything is a dime a dozen. They should be much more rare

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harken110

Expert
@eppy, more sales would mean more competition, which in turn will mean clearer and better stocked vendors.

That's how I see that issue.

With the original post, though, I think only Blacksmithy runic hammer reward chances should be increased. Tailoring is fine as is. Making statues crafted items instead of low chance loot is a terrible idea in my opinion; collecting them through your own PvM is fun, buying them is not.

tailoring is not fine in a crafting sense it makes it money primarily from making flashy stuff, but not the stuff that's needed and used daily from players. Also getting the tailoring runic kits are a pain in the ass. They require LBODS to get and those aren't easy to come by not unless you spend your money on getting the BODS and if you do that then you cut your profits greatly as they only have 30 charges.

tailoring is not fine in a crafting sense it makes it money primarily from making flashy stuff, but not the stuff that's needed and used daily from players. Also getting the tailoring runic kits are a pain in the ass. They require LBODS to get and those aren't easy to come by not unless you spend your money on getting the BODS and if you do that then you cut your profits greatly as they only have 30 charges.
I could have many runic kits by now, if I wanted them; I find the large BODs that give them as a reward are fairly frequent and often 100 per cent chance of being your reward.

As for cutting profits by filling the large BOD instead of turning in the small BODs, that's exactly why I don't have runic kits. However, reducing the amount of hardening and invulnerable leather armour pieces coming into the shard through monster loot, etc. would actually drive the price of runic crafted leather armour up.

Harken110

Expert
I could have many runic kits by now, if I wanted them; I find the large BODs that give them as a reward are fairly frequent and often 100 per cent chance of being your reward.

As for cutting profits by filling the large BOD instead of turning in the small BODs, that's exactly why I don't have runic kits. However, reducing the amount of hardening and invulnerable leather armour pieces coming into the shard through monster loot, etc. would actually drive the price of runic crafted leather armour up.

Well isn't that the point? Basic supply and demand? Except, It makes crafting a bit more viable at least in terms of crafting gear and having a player driven economy and at least a demand for crafters. Otherwise, you have your pvmers being both your gold generators and your crafters as it stand currently.

Defari

Adept
Not to steal ideas from the current EA version of UO, but I think what we need is a 'vendor search' like function which will tell you where to locate a vendor that has the particular item you are looking for. Would save time from constantly clicking through empty vendors.

halygon

Grandmaster
Not to steal ideas from the current EA version of UO, but I think what we need is a 'vendor search' like function which will tell you where to locate a vendor that has the particular item you are looking for. Would save time from constantly clicking through empty vendors.

Then it would suck like half price books. You used to be able to go into a half-price book store and get a good find (like rare 1st ed. or so), but since they have moved their inventory online, searchable... It's pointless to go to their stores because there is no chance of getting a good find at a good price. Yes it's more work for the shopper, but it reaps a higher reward.

Crafters SHOULD do nothing but make money.. They are friggin merchants. To nerd that ruins the need for that skill set at all.

Magic items are to prolific.. They need to cut down on their spawn rate and increase their damage so they are truly worth something and not worth using in daily pvp.

Vendors that are poorly organized don't get as much traffic or sales. Those of us that spend time on our vendors should be rewarded by good traffic and sales... Not impeded by higher vendor costs because you non-vendor owners want to shop easier.

Just my two cents..,