Magery instead of remove trap and detect hidden?

Keltonator

Grandmaster
I'm starting a treasure hunter, just curious as to whether I can use the reveal and magic untrap spells with magery to have the same effect on trapped and locked chests, or do I have to use the remove trap and detect hidden skills to get into them.

RDaneel

Apprentice
I can confirm magery works on level 1 treasure maps.
Maybe on level 2.

But above level 2 magic unlock will not work.

So, magery can replace remove trap and detect hidden. However, detect hidden and remove trap are very useful if you want to make cash picking dungeon chests, as combined with hiding you can be hidden the whole time :)

Toots

Novice
You don't need detect hidden after you train remove trap. You just need the 50 detect hidden and lock picking to initially train remove trap. After that, it is not required.

My lockpicker has 0 detect hidden and 100 remove trap and I disarm lvl5 chest traps frequently.

That's awesome. I always wondered. Now to decide if I just want to keep it at gm, or trade it in for something else!! Thank you!!

amonseti

Grandmaster
Did I not read somewhere that chests in the future will require untrapping them with skill to get all the loot , but using telekinesis would destroy some of it or the rare item that may be included ?

Basically if the chest is forced open setting off the trap you would lose some of the loot inside the chest ... ?

Keltonator

Grandmaster
So the only reason for having either remove trap or detect hidden is to pick the lock without getting fucked by the trap, which you can do from a safe distance with telekinesis, negating the effect in the first place. So you don't need those at all as long as you do it that way? Or am I missing something here?
Will telekinesis work for setting off traps of all levels?

Keltonator

Grandmaster
Did I not read somewhere that chests in the future will require untrapping them with skill to get all the loot , but using telekinesis would destroy some of it or the rare item that may be included ?

Basically if the chest is forced open setting off the trap you would lose some of the loot inside the chest ... ?

That would pose a serious problem with my plan. :/

amonseti

Grandmaster
So the only reason for having either remove trap or detect hidden is to pick the lock without getting fucked by the trap, which you can do from a safe distance with telekinesis, negating the effect in the first place. So you don't need those at all as long as you do it that way? Or am I missing something here?
yes but read my above post I remember hearing something about this need clarification

Yes telekenesis will set off traps at any level. My treasure hunter has 0 magery and I use telekenesis scrolls to do it. Magery is not even needed.

Also I havent heard of any changes about telekenesis. If they do that, it would really suck for my treasure hunter build..

Keltonator

Grandmaster
Yes telekenesis will set off traps at any level. My treasure hunter has 0 magery and I use telekenesis scrolls to do it. Magery is not even needed.

Oh, good thought. I don't use scrolls often so I totally didn't even think about doing that! My template is just pretty jam packed and I'm trying to incorporate a means of defense into it, which is proving difficult with all the other things I need to get the level of pure treasure hunter I want.

amonseti

Grandmaster
When ever I do tmaps I tend have characters duel logged .. my thunter is major squishy and has no offensive ability's .. he has provo .. so basically I use my thunter to pull up chests disarm and open then provo any mobs, so my 2ndary character in waiting can dispatch them . oh and my thunter hides alot . I should have named him Samwell Tarley , bloody fat coward he is.

When ever I do tmaps I tend have characters duel logged .. my thunter is major squishy and has no offensive ability's .. he has provo .. so basically I use my thunter to pull up chests disarm and open then provo any mobs, so my 2ndary character in waiting can dispatch them . oh and my thunter hides alot . I should have named him Samwell Tarley , bloody fat coward he is.
Maybe Im just old school but the duel client thing just rubs me the wrong way. I occasionally log in my mage to res him when he dies, but my t-hunter handles his own. His only major downfall is lack of resist. If I miss a couple provos in a row Im usually screwed.

My build if you are having a bit of trouble squeezing it all together.

100 music/provoke
100 archery
100 lockpicking (actually its still like 97 :/)
90 anat/heal
70 cartography
50 hiding

Toots

Novice

The benefit of remove trap, for me, is that you can do it while remaining hidden. Casting telekineses will reveal you to dangerous mobs/players.

Keltonator

Grandmaster
As far as cartography.. Isn't it still true that once a map is decoded it can be used by anyone? Like if I have GM cartography on my crafter and use him to decipher the tmap, I can still actually do the hunt with another char?

I dont think that works anymore. The de-coder HAS to dig it up.

Edit: you only need 70 cartography to decode any level map. This may change in the future if level 7s are introduced.

greebo

Apprentice
Though, I bet you could dig it up... pick the lock, and even die

Come to town with your tamer/bard. Provo, clean house.. put all your heavy stuff on beetle. Keep looting. And drop off some 60k worth of gold and sellables/regs.