Lumberjacking Woes

Monaco

Apprentice
Why is LJ so much harder than Mining?

Not in a sense that it's more difficult to raise, but the overall benefits from it. Why are the colored woods made so unattainable when ore can be mined at lower levels, pre-GM?

One needs to eat powerscrolls, and then buy skill scrolls in order to get what mining gets naturally. Wasn't Oak on OSI in the 60s, Ash at 80?

I'm just wondering if a staff member could answer why the decision was made to make colored woods so exclusive.

Thanks.

Fattson

Grandmaster
Why is LJ so much harder than Mining?

Not in a sense that it's more difficult to raise, but the overall benefits from it. Why are the colored woods made so unattainable when ore can be mined at lower levels, pre-GM?

One needs to eat powerscrolls, and then buy skill scrolls in order to get what mining gets naturally. Wasn't Oak on OSI in the 60s, Ash at 80?

I'm just wondering if a staff member could answer why the decision was made to make colored woods so exclusive.

Thanks.

Probably because at the time of release, the average lumberjacker was also a pvper and alreay gm or better. That's my best guess.

Alas

Adept
I agree that it's rough, but it limits the market, increase the pay off, and creates an incentive for those willing to put in the time and effort.
It's also doesn't have an impact on the world liking mining does. The weapons and armor of the world slightly depend on the available ingots, where colored wood didn't matter three months ago, and hasn't made an impact on the world as a whole yet.
I do agree with the system that colored woods should only be gather after gm, it's adds a value to the power scrolls, I would hate to see 105 lumber going for 5k again.
It was cheaper for me to buy the ps than the skill scrolls a few months ago...
I do hear your woes though... 18 frost and 20 blood in three hours of logging. But I do sell both the for a large sum each.

Tearloch

Grandmaster
I also think the system was introduced like it is was due to the lack of the "extra" bow types and runic fletching kits that were also a part of OSI. As the system stands now, the difficulty in getting the new wood, combined with the "magic" bows that can be crafted from the new woods, essentially replaced the demand for runic fletching kits. As a crafter, I would still prefer to have fletching BODs and runic fletching kits, but this model does introduce beefed up player crafted bows, which I am all for.

Monaco

Apprentice
I'm all for this too, but I realize I won't have the funds to enjoy this part of the game for another few months, who knows if I'll still even be playing by the time I have the funds to enjoy colored woods.

This is the problem, it's too exclusive as you guys also said. Some of you bought PS and SS when they were cheap, us new players are just shit outta luck though. :(

It's been designed as a playtoy for the rich, instead of it being available to all players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Monaco

Apprentice
And that brings us back to the point, why is it so much different than mining, for example? One is available to all, as it was designed originally with the game, and another changed from the original design to ostracize a large section of the players.

I'm not happy with it, just asking questions. :)

Tearloch

Grandmaster
And that brings us back to the point, why is it so much different than mining, for example? One is available to all, as it was designed originally with the game, and another changed from the original design to ostracize a large section of the players.

Its not meant to ostracize. Shane and company made a choice here. It was added to satisfy the repeated requests in several areas. They COULD have added the new wood full Monty (just like the ingots are now, with the 8 or 9 different wood types), but that would not have solved the other issue of adding in high end player crafted bows (that would have required runics). They achieved both "goals" here, while making it something for players to work towards. Without it, LJ power scrolls, which have been in game for a long time, are basically worthless. Unlike mining, there are no losses when lumberjacking, so being >100 provides no benefit.

Last edited by a moderator:

besttherewas

Grandmaster

Because mining doesn't give you access to ore than enables you to craft exceptional vanq weapons.

The woods are a welcome change, and something different to bod collecting.

halygon

Grandmaster
Yeah pretty much what these guys said. The choice was to implement carpentry/fletching bods to go with new woods or to come up with a different system.

Since BoDs are done to death in tailoring and blacksmithy, the different system was what was implemented. Instead of rare BoDs to collect, instead the player (or some player) is forced to put time into the game to gather rare woods. These woods then have a very small chance at making really good weapons.

Mining/blacksmithy is on the BoD system, which means ore rarity does not instantly provide the chance at magical exceptional weapons. You cannot really compare mining with LumberJacking for this reason other than they gather resources.

PS: There is a good benefit to using mining powerscrolls but it is a different benefit than lumberjacking has above GM.

Monaco

Apprentice
Thanks guys, that explains a bit. Still it leaves me wishing for more ways to actually be able to get the PS and SS for LJ, while being new. Either through quests, like BODs or through just increased drop rates. :(

Appreciate your replies.