'Just recall away from reds' is bullshit.

blues don't get statloss if things don't go their way. being red is pretty good punishment in itself. can be freely attacked anytime anywhere by anyone. AND we have statloss. players should be able to flee from ganks when they are the non agressor regardless of notoriety.

i resent the change because it has very effectively ruined my experience as a red. i enjoyed playing my red in many situations, just hanging out, just being a red player. not necessarily pking anyone who didn't want a fight. now i can't just hang out as a red. took a lot of fun out of the game for me to be honest.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Untrue. However $ did do a ton of Blue Pking to add to all of the other blue pking that had been happening for a while.

EQMS has no say in what the staff decides and no one staff makes decisions alone (except Shane).

I like conspiracy theories though.

i LOVE conspiracy theories. they're basically facts. The royal family is lizardmen is my fave truth. Gotta admit they sure do look like it lol! just like it sure looks like EQMS has a say in what the staff decides when they have a member on the staff who also cheats.

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
i resent the change because it has very effectively ruined my experience as a red. i enjoyed playing my red in many situations, just hanging out, just being a red player. not necessarily pking anyone who didn't want a fight. now i can't just hang out as a red. took a lot of fun out of the game for me to be honest.

You think you should just be able to chill as a known murderer and then when someone comes to try to claim your head you should be able to laugh and recall in their face?

Dont do the crime if you cant face the time.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
players should be able to flee from ganks when they are the non agressor regardless of notoriety.

Especially on a UO:R freeshard. I also hate the ''GMs have all the say'' bullshit, reminds me of when trammel was implemented, kind of why everyone here plays freeshards is to avoid this kind of total bullshit in the first place.

Freeshards wouldn't even exist if GM's didn't pull this kind of crap, so to see it on a freeshard just makes me puke.

halygon

Grandmaster
i LOVE conspiracy theories. they're basically facts. The royal family is lizardmen is my fave truth. Gotta admit they sure do look like it lol! just like it sure looks like EQMS has a say in what the staff decides when they have a member on the staff who also cheats.
The interesting thing about conspiracy theories are that the are 5% truth and 95% BS.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
But you have to admit, it still really looks like EQMS has had a ton of changes in their favor/adversaries banned/griefed by staff since their cheating guildmate got on staff.

Sometimes it's important to protect your image, even if you're innocent, from a player relations standpoint that is. But when a staffer is guilty of cheating and gets busted well I think people need you to protect your image even more in that case and maybe, i dunno, punish him a little bit for sullying the servers image.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
This game gets boring real quick without the PK risk. The AI doesn't come close to posing any real risk. Gear is cheap, you will die, get over it.

That's why I play UO instead of WoW. It's also not what pisses me off. What pisses me off is the unfairness:

1. The PK has all the advantages:
  • Mental preparedness: At the moment of attack, the PK is mentally ready for it; whereas the target is preoccupied with mobs and has to change gears. Some people can switch tasks more easily than others: task switching is an ability. When a PK attacks, only his target is tested on that ability.
  • Pre-buffed: The PK can choose to attack a potential target and so he can choose to do so only if he is fully buffed. In contrast, even if the target has diligently rebuffed himself, if he is fighting mobs, he may not have had time to rebuff when the PK attacks.
  • Full health and mana: The target may have depleted health and mana reserves from fighting mobs; whereas, the PK can choose not to attack if he is in less than the best condition and can choose to attack when the victim's health or mana is depleted.
  • Aggro'd mobs: The target is intentionally seeking out mob-aggro. The PK is not. All other things being equal, the target will have more mob aggro than the PK.
  • Poisoned weapon: The PK can have the advantage of a pre-equipped poison weapon; whereas, the target cannot have that, as the poison would almost certainly be used up on the mobs before a PK were to come around.

2. Consequently, if all contingencies are equal, the PK's attacks only harm his target but never harm the PK:
  • Only the target pays the cost of defeat: The PK has all the advantages, so if all contingencies are equal, then only targets bear the burdens of the defeats that result from PK attacks, and only PKs enjoy the rewards of the victories that result from their attacks.
  • Only the target has to deal with frustration of his plans: The PK has all the advantages, so if all contingencies are equal then the target can only die or successfully flee. In either case the attack frustrates the target's plan to go fight mobs but does not frustrate the PK's plan to go fight players.

3. Fair punishments return equivalent harm to the perpetrator: It's a widely accepted principle of justice that a perpetrator who intentionally damages someone and cannot restore him should have to lose something equivalent to what her victim lost. In other words, an eye for an eye.

4. The current system does not return equivalent harm to PKs:
  • It costs PKs nothing: All of the PKs murders cost his targets something financial. Yet the PK's punishment costs him nothing financial.
  • It frustrates none of the PK's plans: No number of murder counts can affect a character for more than 48 out-of-game hours. During those 48 hours, the PK's stats are temporarily reduced. According to Shane, most PKs have 10+ accounts. Consequently, the PK can burn off that time PKing on an alternate character whose template may be exactly the same as the one burning off the 48 hours, and so the PK may go on doing what he planned to do.

Therefore: the current system is unfair.

While life isn't fair, nobody opts to play an unfair game.

Last edited by a moderator:

halygon

Grandmaster
But you have to admit, it still really looks like EQMS has had a ton of changes in their favor/adversaries banned/griefed by staff since their cheating guildmate got on staff.

Sometimes it's important to protect your image, even if you're innocent, from a player relations standpoint that is. But when a staffer is guilty of cheating and gets busted well I think people need you to protect your image even more in that case and maybe, i dunno, punish him a little bit for sullying the servers image.
As with a lot of things, it is hard to see the full picture when trying to look through a key hole - you end up only seeing the things only in the line of sight.

Here's what's important for you to know. The integrity of the staff is still intact, if it wasn't we would be looking for more staff. More than adequate punishment was given. And no guild holds sway over staff decisions.

We listen to all suggestions that are given and decide which should be implemented, saved for later, or discarded. I know @GluttonySDS has proposed a good number of suggestions, some very vocally. Most never gained any traction, a couple were discussed by the staff, and a even smaller number implemented, the source of the suggestions never came into play in the decision. There have been many other players that have the same track record. The quality of the actual suggestion is what matters and whether it is right for UOF.

Sandman

Grandmaster
So I killed someone who was baiting liches to the bard table today - that's why I couldn't recall?

Yeah an explanation in the 'you're stuck, deal with it' message would be better, you're right.

I'll add, getting jumped would suck a lot less if it didn't eat up one of your chances to beam back to town (e.g. with a forgiveness ring, or whatever else).

So you PKd someone and are now upset about the same shit us PKs have to deal with, because you are being PKd...

LMAO

MZ3K

Grandmaster
No one opts to play an unfair game? That is the silliest thing yet.

Las Vegas and lotteries seem to do ok.

Yeah I thought about that when I wrote it. But if you're saying that analogy is relevant, then you're supporting my point: the odds are firmly stacked in favor of PKs.

eppy

Grandmaster
The odds are indeed stacked if a pk reaches you. The idea is to not let that happen. You have the exact same time that they do upon entering visual range to make something happen. Either run or recall. That's what makes pks exciting.

Sandman

Grandmaster
Here's a few ideas...

#1 Make the following Hotkey

- Disrupt
- Target Runebook (qued)
- Cast Spell Recall

#2 Actually watch your computer screen

#3 Press said hotkey when you see anything red

#4 live 80% or more of the time and stop complaining about the 20% you die. You are whiny.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
[/QUOTE]
The odds are indeed stacked if a pk reaches you. The idea is to not let that happen. You have the exact same time that they do upon entering visual range to make something happen. Either run or recall. That's what makes pks exciting.

I agree. But winning is more fun than losing, so if the odds are stacked in favor of the PK, we'd all be best to play PKs. Since everyone can be a 7x GM PK within a day, all our characters would be equally capable, and so if we were all to play PKs, then there wouldn't be anything that favorably distinguished UO:F from Call of Duty.