IDOC changes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

smile it's me

Grandmaster
As glutt has said in another thread IDOC have been changed recently. If that is true, do someone care to explain the changes to all players?

Blackmartin

Grandmaster
No idea how those weird pic links or that website works. But NPCs to I assume "give you IDOC locations?" Sounds like it would work similar to the notification system for whirlpools but I could be wrong. Not sure if this would make positive or negative changes, guess it depends if it gives you an exact time of drop, gates you there, etc etc. Chances for more consistent pvp though that's for sure :)

Pretty cool idea.

Hopefully the amount of gold it requires for him to reveal the location isn't an absurd amount to the point where the rich get richer...

Nidhoggur

Expert
Honestly, this nerfs my playstyle right into the ground. Finding, tracking and camping IDOCs takes effort. You've got to run all over the map, fairly frequently, Mark your runes, continue checking on them for decay progression, maybe place a scout with tracking to scope out the neighborhood. Then you have to commit to actually being there and ready when it falls.

It was my fulltime UO job so to speak, and I loved it. My characters are specialized for it, I put in the time and effort and sometimes, just sometimes, it pays off big. The thrill of finding that greatly worn way out where you'd never normally ever go, watching it decay with great anticipation never knowing if others knew but hoping they didn't.

Waiting for a possible payout that may justify all the energy and effort you put in. The push to socialize and form a trusted team to help you loot and place.

It is why I'm here.

Now, every low effort player unwilling to commit to the traditional process can just have IDOC coords given to them?

I do my IDOC'ing 99% solo and I'm good at it because, like any other skill, I've worked at it and I put time in. I scrape a living out of the houses waaaay out in no man's land that my hard work led me to. When I get them, it feels earned. I gave up the time I could have been dueling, or taming or doing whatever else for this because I know so many others are unwilling to go that extra mile and I gamble it all on what mysterious loot may be inside.

It feels like the complete death of my playstyle. Now you can farm mobs all day everyday then show up to my remote IDOC at the last minute and murder my face off with your high end tameables. Every IDOC will have tons of attention and my chances as a solo home hunter are nil.

I don't understand why the sudden departure from such a storied, respected, time honored UO traditional skill set and playstyle was needed.

Guess I have to make an elder tamer, fork over 100k to werkt and start farming titans until my eyes bleed because the days of the solo house hunter are numbered here and all for what? It's the death knell for us brave solo nerds with more passion for exploration and the thrill of the hunt than interest in playing another generic farming character.

Losing this profession hurts. I don't want to be another farming clone when I grow up. Who is this supposed to be helping anyway?

Blackmartin

Grandmaster
Honestly, this nerfs my playstyle right into the ground. Finding, tracking and camping IDOCs takes effort. You've got to run all over the map, fairly frequently, Mark your runes, continue checking on them for decay progression, maybe place a scout with tracking to scope out the neighborhood. Then you have to commit to actually being there and ready when it falls.

It was my fulltime UO job so to speak, and I loved it. My characters are specialized for it, I put in the time and effort and sometimes, just sometimes, it pays off big. The thrill of finding that greatly worn way out where you'd never normally ever go, watching it decay with great anticipation never knowing if others knew but hoping they didn't.

Waiting for a possible payout that may justify all the energy and effort you put in. The push to socialize and form a trusted team to help you loot and place.

It is why I'm here.

Now, every low effort player unwilling to commit to the traditional process can just have IDOC coords given to them?

I do my IDOC'ing 99% solo and I'm good at it because, like any other skill, I've worked at it and I put time in. I scrape a living out of the houses waaaay out in no man's land that my hard work led me to. When I get them, it feels earned. I gave up the time I could have been dueling, or taming or doing whatever else for this because I know so many others are unwilling to go that extra mile and I gamble it all on what mysterious loot may be inside.

It feels like the complete death of my playstyle. Now you can farm mobs all day everyday then show up to my remote IDOC at the last minute and murder my face off with your high end tameables. Every IDOC will have tons of attention and my chances as a solo home hunter are nil.

I don't understand why the sudden departure from such a storied, respected, time honored UO traditional skill set and playstyle was needed.

Guess I have to make an elder tamer, fork over 100k to werkt and start farming titans until my eyes bleed because the days of the solo house hunter are numbered here and all for what? It's the death knell for us brave solo nerds with more passion for exploration and the thrill of the hunt than interest in playing another generic farming character.

Losing this profession hurts. I don't want to be another farming clone when I grow up. Who is this supposed to be helping anyway?
On the other hand, you will now be able to participate in the same IDOC's only now u can spend your time doing better things. You know.. like not roaming the world aimlessly ^.^

Nidhoggur

Expert
There was certainly an aim. That's kinda the point. It's what I enjoy. It's considered a chore by many, which was great, it kept them away.

If I sound passionate about it it's because I am. This isn't like minor changes in swing speeds or cast recovery or fine tuning mob tracking. This is a major break from a time honored UO tradition for what seems like kowtowing to people that refused to play the game as intended but still want the phat lewts, just with no time or effort spent.

What are the odds this happens a month after I join here and have been working hard to make a small name for myself in housing and IDOCs? There's no rage here, just disappointment.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nidhoggur

Expert
I wouldn't say I'm a fulltime PvM guy. I'm a business man! (And opportunistic killer/thief) But, dear readers, know that I'd genuinely never take advantage of a buyer with fake gates or thievery at the site of one of my properties. Business before pleasure.

I think I may have misinterpreted your post above. I'm not a smart man.

Blackmartin

Grandmaster
its something a full time pvm man wouldn't understand
Yeah I definately dont devote my time to pvp on this server because its not my main focus. But honestly after testing this system tonight, I think timing IDOC's will still be profitable to the people willing to spend the time. The new vendor may give you coordinates but it doesn't give you timers, which is the pivotal point to anyone camping a 'valuable' IDOC with a backing crew to raid it prior to drop.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
...Absolutely...
...No...
...Idea...
...Why....
...This...
...Has...
...Been...
...Implemented...

I have gave up trying to understand these so-called logical decisions. First the rare-hunter and now the IDOC class.. I have never had the patience for this way of life personally, but it has always been around and I can only feel sympathy. RIP.

Could a staff member please help the community understand why this has become a thing? Surely, there are more pressing matters to address?

death.png

I wonder who this will cater for most... Such an incredibly tough decision...

Last edited by a moderator:

Lyxx

Expert
Is anything stopping player from manually finding IDOCs on their own? People can still hunt them traditionally, or? There are often several IDOCS active, so is it really certain that the NPC will lead people to all of them?

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Is anything stopping player from manually finding IDOCs on their own? People can still hunt them traditionally, or? There are often several IDOCS active, so is it really certain that the NPC will lead people to all of them?

Probably not, folks could still do the same but why bother when you can park a mule character next to the NPC and get updated information without having to do all the leg work? The issue is how vague the information regarding these changes, is. If it is as simple as parking a character next to the NPC, then definitely, RIP IDOC hunters.

Status
Not open for further replies.