How many would still play here if the dev team didn't add new content?

Darkarna

Grandmaster
After reading @Shane 's post I sat back and thought to myself, what a complete dick I have been. As a player, I understand the frustrations and disappointments from my perspective *this has got a lot to do with the thief class though* but generally, when it comes to a massive influx of negative comments towards the mechanics behind the server, I couldn't really begin to imagine how much pressure us as players put onto the shoulders of the staff here. Strange really, I was one of those who were calling for change to attitudes around here and unfortunately, I went with the ebb and flow of others here providing assistance to the problem, allowing the problem to expand without a second thought to the human cost.

I will try and do the right thing here, I hope others can follow in my steed but it is time to put to rest a few things.

Firstly, I would like to apologize to staff, all the staff, if I fuelled any fires regarding anything, I can be a little opinionated, especially when passionate about something, they say that old habits die hard but unfortunately this has been something which I have not really taken into account IF I was bombarded with a mess of issues, complaints, judgements and criticism. Henceforth, anything related to events, special occasions and such will only be criticised if completely necessary with the most relevant of points which are debated professionally and adult like.

Secondly, @Messremb, I am sorry for the way I treated you, please try and understand that I am very protective of friends regardless if they appear as text on a screen or real life. I have been an idiot to take things so far out of context. They say that apologizing about something lifts a burden, it sure does ;).

Thirdly, I feel as a community we really need to pull together more. There are times when someone will get upset over something and vent their frustrations on here or in game and that is completely fine, but taking things to a level where there are accusations regarding real life stuff, this has to stop. If things happen in real life which are way below moral standards, then obviously that needs to be acted upon away from here and the relevant authorities informed.

Forth and last, Ultima Online has always been a game based around grief and a lot of this can be directed towards a truly open world PVP environment. Common sense prevails when dealing with people in game and obviously a repetition of killing the same person over and over can lead to disastrous consequences. Lately, this has changed somewhat with people resurrecting players and not actually looting, I was murdered in fire dungeon yesterday by the ooOOOoo OOo guys, I expected the same old thing where I was left to run around in ghost form and losing any items on my corpse. Surprisingly, I was resurrected, even when it was difficult to do so because of the spawn and nothing was looted. This gave me a lot of faith in the community again, if a few people can start doing this more then perhaps there is a way to completely reduce the full out assault on Player Killers in this game *I will add that looting is a part of the game..*

I will now take my sorry ass over to the naughty corner and sit there for a couple hours.. *hangs head in shame*

+1

Afro Man

Grandmaster
+1 I will be here Forever
vvZfm.gif

Messremb

Grandmaster
Secondly, @Messremb, I am sorry for the way I treated you, please try and understand that I am very protective of friends regardless if they appear as text on a screen or real life. I have been an idiot to take things so far out of context. They say that apologizing about something lifts a burden, it sure does ;).

Great Post, and thank you for the apology, I'm not above admitting my own fault here, i should never have voiced my thoughts on the subject, true or not, is was petty of me and i apologies for it, and that goes to Silvio as well, (i cant remember his forum handle off the top of my head.)

Allright now....let's all gather round the camp fire and sing kumbafuckingya....

Well.. I'll play devils advocate....

People will continue to play the server as long as there is a decent community. New content helps bolster the community by bringing in new players and satiating current ones. It’s probably not essential, but it certainly doesn’t hurt and will only serve to extend the life of the server. I don’t understand the benefit of the community endorsing no new content…. No matter what your play-type is, you benefit from it, even indirectly. (example: More PvM content -> more PvMers -> More Pkers -> More PvP) It’s a pretty obvious logical progression.

From my perspective most discontent has been due to the fact of over-promising and under-delivering. Booty Island comes to mind. (Staff has recognized this issue though, I just hope they don’t overreact and stop all together.)

On the other hand, the ship content update was amazing and has done wonder for sea combat, and there are more people playing this server because of it.

Shane mentioned we don’t know 99% of the stuff that goes on… well why not? Why haven’t the patch notes been updated since August 19th? Seems like most of the community likes being in the know of what’s happening, and they also like knowing there is an active staff developing new content, or at least refining current content. (Look what happened to uoforever when staff disappeared).

Shane can do whatever he likes of course, but it’s my understanding he and Adam are able to make a full time living doing this, which is awesome and goes to show how strong the UO community still is. If I were him, I’d do whatever it took to keep bringing in the players (and donos) which would include new content and updates. The headaches of dealing with the player base is part of the job sadly.

Lexington

Grandmaster
Well.. I'll play devils advocate....

People will continue to play the server as long as there is a decent community. New content helps bolster the community by bringing in new players and satiating current ones. It’s probably not essential, but it certainly doesn’t hurt and will only serve to extend the life of the server. I don’t understand the benefit of the community endorsing no new content…. No matter what your play-type is, you benefit from it, even indirectly. (example: More PvM content -> more PvMers -> More Pkers -> More PvP) It’s a pretty obvious logical progression.

From my perspective most discontent has been due to the fact of over-promising and under-delivering. Booty Island comes to mind. (Staff has recognized this issue though, I just hope they don’t overreact and stop all together.)

On the other hand, the ship content update was amazing and has done wonder for sea combat, and there are more people playing this server because of it.

Shane mentioned we don’t know 99% of the stuff that goes on… well why not? Why haven’t the patch notes been updated since August 19th? Seems like most of the community likes being in the know of what’s happening, and they also like knowing there is an active staff developing new content, or at least refining current content. (Look what happened to uoforever when staff disappeared).

Shane can do whatever he likes of course, but it’s my understanding he and Adam are able to make a full time living doing this, which is awesome and goes to show how strong the UO community still is. If I were him, I’d do whatever it took to keep bringing in the players (and donos) which would include new content and updates. The headaches of dealing with the player base is part of the job sadly.

The point of this thread is to point out the fact that if the staff is feeling over whelmed and underappreciated because they feel the need continually push out new content for the shard to be successful. I simply believe that there might be a better or easier way.

We don't need new expansions to enjoy playing UOF. The content that's currently here is unbelievable. What we do need is the staff to have fun, so they feel motivated to refine and tweaking the systems we have. That doesn't mean new stuff should never be added... it just means they don't need to work themselves into the ground trying to please us with it.

What the staff needs from us, is for us to feel the need to continually to donate. Is it necessary to expand UOF for us to do so ... maybe? I'd like to think with the current raffles, regular donation vender changes and the ability to sell donations for gold... that would be enough?

Last edited by a moderator:

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
Im always of the mindset that more communication with the players goes a LOOOONG way in keeping people happy... you may not be able to deliver content every week/month but at least letting people know whats going on will keep us hooked.

Why not do a 30minute weekly Q&A where a staff members goes on IRC to answer questions... have it be moderated etc. 30mins a week would do so much in terms of letting everyone know where things stand AND keeping us excited about whats to come.

asics

Grandmaster
new content each 3\4months seems needed to keep "veteran" players interested and making some little new things to do..

also events are more important then new content

GluttonySDS

Grandmaster
I will also say this -- from a PVPers perspective, we need no new content... i would much rather have some of the large PVP issues at hand addressed and fixed(i.e. endless running, pets in PVP) than have a new militia system/factions replacement.

UO PVP hasnt changed much in 17years and its not some special hued clothing thats going to keep PVPers interested, its having the proper balanced PVP mechanics(see: uoforever) that have made UO still fun 17 years later.

Cack

Grandmaster
The secrecy veil shane described while secureing professionalism...keeps out understanding as well. Cant empathize with staff If, one youve never been one and two can't see/dont know what they do on a daily basis.
In addition to glutts irc q and a idea....take some interested players to green acres, show em what you do, let them shadow you when you [grp and whatever else.
Also bring in the counselor tier of staff to answer pages, help stuck players and watch for cheating/exploitations. This is essential for a shard imo

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
There really isn't any "new" content besides things that have been custom made to be in this place. To make anything custom takes effort, time, and motivation. They could release a new type of mongbat that drops gold nuggets each drop worth billions and someone would still complain about something.

I play this free shard because it's the only one with any kind of stability and staff that do come forward when needed to.
If you see how Shroud of the Avatar no matter how trammel it is... it's the feedback and the population of believers that are making it better. I'm tired of pin the douche on the bag. Let's give the staff a thank you and a thought out idea that is rounded enough to use or put in or change the way things are. It doesn't matter who is within the staff they will always have to deal with us in the end.

This place is for us. Not against us.

No matter how much it seems I'm angry or people assume I'm bashing staff, I know what they deal with from my own experience and past running servers for this game and other games. There are some things that should be more public and some that just needs to stay behind the wall.

Even with no new content you'd still get new players. Which is indeed new content themselves.
*Brain explodes everywhere*

Kael

Master
I have been here since launch and still enjoy playing. I may take a small break here and there to keep things fresh but I always find my way back.
I think that the shard population is the key for me. I don't take part in many events or expansions. But I certainly respect the amount of work that goes into making these things happen.
I think it is very important though to keep players "in the loop" once in awhile by the management team. It makes players feel that they are appreciated and part of the community. It is too bad that Adam is refraining from posting. He always came across as genuine and honest in his posts and was a great reflection for the shard.

What the staff needs from us, is for us to feel the need to continually to donate. Is it necessary to expand UOF for us to do so ... maybe? I'd like to think with the current raffles, regular donation vender changes and the ability to sell donations for gold... that would be enough?

I agree we don't need massive content updates all the time... But a little communication would be good for everyone.

Why no patch notes anymore?

Why have conquests been down for months?

There are some good ideas in here regarding staff/player base communication. I hope they get considered.