how are scammers treated here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tr1age

Master
Pro Tips:
  • Go on top of the bank when doing trades of any kind. That way if they have a horse hidden somewhere you will see it. Can't hide it with such an open space.
  • A real Ethy turns bright green in a trade window.
  • A real Ethy is called a Ethereal Horse/Llama Statuette where as a fake one cannot be that many letters so will most likely say "a Ethereal Horse/Llama" or" Ethereal Horse/Llama"
  • You will hear the noise of an animal when the trade is initialized, no matter what the animal.
  • Always initiate the trade first and they cannot transfer to you.
This is UO 101 from back when. Minus the green hue and top of bank safe zone.
When I first got here Old Azz got me with the Llama, I was upset but I laughed it off cause I couldn't believe I fell for it again like it was 1998 again. This is UO, your forum banter and fighting is way more offputting than losing a few pieces of gold in a very brutal game.

Lyxx

Expert
Yesterday, "a g a" was doing the ethy scam on this incognito char "Pila". Note the white "The Veteran" title, and the animal covered by the building:

scam3.png

Here, he has just scammed someone:

scam5.png

And here, someone else:

scam7.jpg

Afterwards, a new name:

scam8.jpg

I have seen people go to jail for lesser tricks at Brit Bank, and honestly the repeated scamming in a short period of time, ripping people who aren't necessarily wealthy off for hundreds of thousands, should be punished.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Incoming controversy :

This type of in-game scam is necessary in my opinion, not only is it one of the longest running scams since Ethereal mounts were first introduced but it really does help new players into changing their mindset when it comes to on line gaming. How? Well, it teaches people not to be so hasty into making purchases and it provides insight into people who play Ultima Online.

I also believe that this type of scam, done completely in-game, is not actually breaking any rules. If this was spammed in IRC chat or on the forums, then there is ground for action.

Rule of thumb : Do not trade for Ethereal mounts at bank, tell the seller to follow you and keep a close eye on any horses,llamas etc following the seller. If they refuse to follow you then expect that player to scam you. IF they do follow you, look around for tamed pets with names such as Ethereal Horse, Ethereal Llama etc, if you see these then don't trade. Also check the colour of the mount in the trade window, it should be green. The best way to learn sometimes is the hard way or perhaps if you have a shred of common sense, do your research into such subjects *Ethereal horses are not the only thing you can be scammed on*.

*DISCLAIMER : ONLY TELL PEOPLE TO FOLLOW IF YOU ARE TRADING ETHEREAL MOUNTS. ETHEREAL MOUNTS ARE BLESSED AND CAN NOT BE STOLEN. IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO THE SAME WITH NONE BLESSED ITEMS THEN YOU ARE OPENING YOURSELF UP TO HAVE SAID ITEMS STOLEN. IF THIS HAPPENS, THEN YOU ARE FULLY AT FAULT AND I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOUR MISFORTUNE AND I WILL MOST LIKELY BE THE ONE WHO STOLE THE ITEM IN THE FIRST PLACE.*

Lyxx

Expert
If this is not illegal, how then do you explain that a friend of mine goes to jail for saying "buying Dedicated bandana, 300k each" after the giveaway, then runs around, people runs after him and drop the bandanas on him but accidentally drop it on the ground next to him, and he picks them up, getting several bandanas this way - until the GMs stop him. How is that not a doublestandard?

Darkarna

Grandmaster
If this is not illegal, how then do you explain that a friend of mine goes to jail for saying "buying Dedicated bandana, 300k each" after the giveaway, then runs around, people runs after him and drop the bandanas on him but accidentally drop it on the ground next to him, and he picks them up, getting several bandanas this way - until the GMs stop him. How is that not a doublestandard?

That is not illegal *or so I believe* and he shouldn't have been jailed *however, he did milk it a bit...*

Lyxx

Expert
He wasn't banned, but he was put to jail and given a warning and forbidden to do it again.

And so the same should be done with the ethereal mount scam, unless there is a double standard.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Hey,
No matter what you hear, or otherwise. EVERY STAFF including myself follows the rules on www.uoforever.com/rules.php

We have done this for years now.
We allow scamming (normal items) up to a certain point. However if you start scamming too often, if all you do is log in, scam, log off- then you can count yourself as banned.
As the rules page states:

• Excessive scamming is prohibited
  • SCAMMING Donation Items, or Donation Coins is prohibited. ANYONE found abusing this rule will face potential banning.

TheFallen

Grandmaster
So when you're scan involves someone thinking they are getting a donation item doesn't that fall under scam involving donation items.

Tbh to allow this you are making people weary of buying a donation item and thereby hurting your donation coin economy.

If this is allowed then hypothetically I could say selling dono coins and then put silver in the trade window and it's not a scam?

Lyxx

Expert
If this scam is allowed - and it is as effective as it is - I might go and scam people in this way myself. Easy way to make money, but it hits the people who take a loss hard.

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
So when you're scan involves someone thinking they are getting a donation item doesn't that fall under scam involving donation items.

Tbh to allow this you are making people weary of buying a donation item and thereby hurting your donation coin economy.

If this is allowed then hypothetically I could say selling dono coins and then put silver in the trade window and it's not a scam?

No this isn't allowed, i mean this isn't about donation items, this is about someone potentially joining the server, donating 100$, getting it scammed INSTANTLY then quitting most likely over that. Which 2.5 years ago, this exactly happened which is why the rule was put in place.
The scamming of donation items originally was really out of control, we lost alot of decent players over that.

These rules are put in place based off the history of the server.
All in all, i understand scamming, i use to do it as a player, and that is why i don't mind it here at all. We do have our limits though, and those are to protect the longevity of UOF

ANYTHING IN RELATION TO DONATION ITEMS AND SCAMMING IS A NO NO.

Obviously we need to update our rules a bit here, people seem to be trying to beat around the bush on a few issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.