Housing: Owner-only Refreshes

tankian

Grandmaster
Its a good idea until something comes up like family issues, emergency or out of town or country work ect. Come back and house is gone. Maybe if house owner doesn't log in to refresh in 6 months. Then house will immediately go idoc without the first stages of decay

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
Its a good idea until something comes up like family issues, emergency or out of town or country work ect. Come back and house is gone. Maybe if house owner doesn't log in to refresh in 6 months. Then house will immediately go idoc without the first stages of decay

Something along those lines would be nice. Six whole months seems a bit long but one month is probably too short.

Bromista

Grandmaster
+1

I've had the pleasure of playing housing shuffle with my RL friend and it's a bit of a pain. But honestly them's the lengths you should have to go through to keep plots held by active players. Not seventeen accounts Lamb of God style.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
Love the idea.

I'd also like to suggest the loot from these fallen structures either disappear entirely, or a small part be added to custom treasure hunts invented by the staff.

tankian

Grandmaster
Love the idea.

I'd also like to suggest the loot from these fallen structures either disappear entirely, or a small part be added to custom treasure hunts invented by the staff.
A big part of UO is idocing , take away the loot and people will leave, and staff already mentioned holding idoc events in the future and already have with a few recently

Bromista

Grandmaster
Yeah the occasional IDOC as an event is o.k., I'm really glad they didn't go and change the whole system. I don't even IDOC but it's so important to keep these things as close to the way we remember them as we can (within reason obviously)

Provoker

Journeyman
There's only really one group who gets all the idoc's think that most of the server would not care if they left lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lummox

Master
I like the gold sink or dono extensions on extended leaves. It would be easy to implement, the incentive is already there and it would support the server. Make the gold sink a little more expensive than just buying dono. I still think there should be a witch hunt for those abusing ips and acquiring houses above the limit. The plots are so saturated and housing is such a big part of the game it just adds a roadblock for new player longevity.

At least give those people the grace to move their stuff and put up the plot for auction. Turning a blind eye to this will only propagate the behavior and leave a lack of respect for the authority and rules that in general. It only takes a big example for offenders to realize how much there is to lose and get those plots open for my 18x18

Tard the Paladin

Grandmaster
I think the gold sink/dono sink idea is superb.

It is akin to the meta pet devotion increase. If players have trouble updating their house for a period of time then they can purchase a temporary extension.

If there are a few players that can't refresh their houses for several months then its fair to ask them to place another house if they actually return. Keep in mind that even astronauts aboard the ISS have the ability to refresh their damn house. Can't find internet for six months in the 21st century? I guess its time to sell your junk and rebuild the house once you return to civilization.

MegaHz

Apprentice
I like the owner only refreshes, leave co owners out of it.

I think the vacation mode should be a donation service (not coins), and should keep your house refreshed until either you log in again, or your donation time runs out, whichever comes first. Make the fee similar to a cheap MMO. Say $10/ month.

This would limit the in game ultra rich from creating accounts that are never logged in just to hold houses eternally refreshed. You actually have to be paying cash money out of pocket to keep the server online instead of just pulling out of that pile of 100k dono coins in your bank. After all, it costs money to run the server that saves all of those shiny pixels for you while you take off for a few months and block placement from active players.

It can be applied to the account as often as you like, but the second that a character on your account logs in, it reverts back to standard refresh times.

lummox

Master
At the moment, devs need to crack down on the multiple accounts past 3. People with 4+ houses need to be dealt with. It is bs that when idocs go down people will always just place a house down on their 5th account with bs skills to meet the limit.

parsnip

Grandmaster
I like the idea. A few suggestions to balance houses accidentally falling and abuse of refreshing:

1) Extend the IDOC decay window by a week or two.
2) Have a gold sink item which extends the window (single use).
3) Add a piece of information to the house menu which displays to an owner when the house will decay if it is not refreshed.
4) Allow friends and co-owners a limited number of refreshed in-between owner refresh. Say a friend could refresh 2 times and co-owner 4 times but you couldn't just have a huge list of friends. The friends refresh counter applies to any friends of the house. A notification pops up if the value is exceeded. "You can no longer refresh this house, please use the house owner account to do so."
5) Only owners can completely restart the decay cycle. Friends and co-owners can only push it back by one decay stage.

lummox

Master
The friends and coowner wouldn't work because they would go through that in an hour if they keep going in and out

Modus

Master
Owner only refreshes on houses would be a great idea in time for the expansion. What's the point in drawing new players to the shard if many of the best plots are taken by players who haven't logged on in years? I know that myself and other veterans can point out numerous max storage houses whose owners have been AWOL for over a year.

Given UOF's large population and limited housing, I believe its a fair requirement that players should have a minimum requirement of refreshing their own houses. Logging on and refreshing a house can be done in less than thirty seconds. Performing that task once a month is a pretty low bar in terms of commitment.

Here's some pro's and cons:

Pros:
Clean up unused spots.
Give newer players incentive to stick around.
All players can improve their chances of getting a superb plot.

Cons:
Probably a few of old forgotten players will log on and see their houses gone. How upset could they be since they've pretty much stopped playing anyway? Plus, they can rebuild elsewhere since there's more housing available.

Signed. Hard to imagine anyone who doesn't log in within a month would bother about what happens ingame. :)

I've wanted this for awhile, not sure how the general public feels about it though.

Well my problem would be that i am working in countrys without intenet connection some month a year. i spend like 6 weeks in egypt desert, georgia or iran..

My idea would be that co-owner / friend refreshs work for 3 month since the last owner refresh (that would sort out long time abandoned houses and keep players who have a job that doesnt allow logging in for some weeks)

parsnip

Grandmaster
The friends and coowner wouldn't work because they would go through that in an hour if they keep going in and out

Make the refresh for friends / co-owners a button in house menu rather than the result of opening doors.

Wrexx

Grandmaster
I'd axe everything but account owner refreshes but increase decay time from approximately a month to three months. A single month is way to short considering emergencies and trips. Once you start creeping into multiple months away, you either need to shit or get off the pot. I don't play currently but I still refresh my houses every other week to be on the safe side incase I return, it's not difficult to do so.