Giving away 50k gold....

Malrex

Neophyte
That is...if you can help me log on.
I moved and for some reason I can't log into UO forever or any other shards.
I redownloaded UO client, razor, etc...I try to log into my account and it freezes then says not responding.
I tried to use the properties--compatibility--etc.
I tried to open ports...

Game isn't working. I realize this should be in the tech help forum, but I noticed hardly anyone responds. Anyone have any ideas? Is it possible it's the wifi at my new location?

Check windows network connections and see if you have your current connection set to public network or something. Try changing it to home network or work nerwork.

parsnip

Grandmaster
Hmm, you shouldn't have to open any ports.

Open the command prompt (cmd.exe) and try:
ping login.uoforever.com
The first line of the response should say "Pinging login.uoforever.com [192.65.242.98] with 32 bytes of data:"
If you get a message about being unable to resolve the host, then try using the IP (192.65.242.98) directly in your Razor settings.

Could you post a screenshot of your Razor configuration? Are you sure you set the port to ****?

Here's what you know:
-Internet is working fine because you are posting here
-Reinstalled the game so client-side issues are out

Has to be a server side issue.

-Anyone else playing the game on a different account in your home?
-Do you have a second account? If so, does that account work?
-If you only have one account, can you create another and see if that logs in?
-When was the last time you logged in?
-What were you doing when you last logged in?
-Possible your account or IP is blocked/banned?
-Have you tried to message Shane or Carl to investigate?

Moccy

Neophyte
Where did you move to? If it was a university or similar place with a shared or guest-based internet connection, outgoing ports on anything other than 80 and 443 (HTTP and HTTPS) may be blocked by default as a preventative measure against malware.

You can test this by going to http://portquiz.net:****/ (where **** is the port used to connect to UO forever). You'll get a "Page cannot be displayed" type error if the outgoing ports are blocked.

If that page dispays ok, try disabling any firewall software you may be running to see if you're missing an outgoing exception for the UO client.

-Mossop

Malrex

Neophyte
Thanks everybody...will give your suggestions a shot and if something works, that person will get 50k gold! Stand by....

Malrex

Neophyte
Ok...
Cheestick--internet connection was switched to home network when I first set it up (about a week ago)

Parsnip...attempted that. I got the correct 32 bits of data remark. Not sure if this is relevant, but at the end of the ping I got:

Request timed out (3 times)
Ping statistics for 192.65.242.98:
Packages: Sent : 4, Received: 0, Lost : 4 (100% loss)
I'm not sure if that means anything or not because I suck with computers.

Theros:
1. Nope, just me.
2. Yes, but no..doesn't work either.
3. Attempted that on a different uo server...still didn't work.
4. I think my last time I logged in was a week ago on my main computer. I started messing around with a different uoserver and was on that last night---here's the deal...all my crap was at my new place, but my bed was still at old place and I had my laptop...I logged in on my laptop.
Having said that....I just tried to log on my lap top at new place and NO go....client freezes. So something to do with my internet connection?
5. Most likely doing expert level maps treasure hunting.
6. I don't see any way my account was blocked or banned, unless doing tmaps is bannable. That's all I have been doing for a month with little other player interaction since I've been so busy in real life lately (now Im not and have to deal with no UO...ugh.)
7. Will message Shane or Carl as last resort as I'm sure they got other things to worry about.

Karl--yes, running as admin.

Strawberry--not sure what that means...looked around in properties of uo client and razor...is that the right place? Im a noob with computers..can you give me more input?

Alck--nope...that didn't work...lol

Moccy-- I moved to a studio that is apart of a large house in a nice neighborhood. Sorry---I have to say I scored as it has features that I will NEVER be able to afford (like an infinity pool and a spectacular view ((from the pool, not my room, but oh well..lol))....craziness and yes I feel like a lucky bastard--except I can't play uo). *Cough* anyways---I got the 'Page cannot be displayed' message when doing what you said...so I think we are on the right track. I'm going to try to mess with my ports again then?? I don't really know what I'm doing so if you have any steps for a noob please let me know...or am I screwed?

Thanks to everyone and their suggestions and comments so far....I really appreciate it!

Moccy

Neophyte
Ouu lucky, i was just about to go to bed and thought i'd check the forums really quick :p

Outgoing port blocking is typically done on the gateway device (i.e. the device that has the main Internet service plugged directly into it such as a broadband router). Most home users don't have to deal with this type of issue since most home routers don't have any advanced traffic control features beyond simple port forwarding, however if your building has a shared connection, they may well be using more capable kit to limit stuff like bittorrent. In this case you'd need to speak to whomever manages the Internet connection for the building to open the required ports for UO for your MAC address (**** for definite, not sure if anything else is required off the top of my head).

It's also a slight possibility that blocking may be being done by the actual internet service provider (especially ones that provide service via the cellular data networks like 3G and LTE), which means depending on your ISP, you might just be plain screwed without shelling out more cash per month.

Anyways, off to bed. good luck :)

Malrex

Neophyte
T
Ouu lucky, i was just about to go to bed and thought i'd check the forums really quick :p

Outgoing port blocking is typically done on the gateway device (i.e. the device that has the main Internet service plugged directly into it such as a broadband router). Most home users don't have to deal with this type of issue since most home routers don't have any advanced traffic control features beyond simple port forwarding, however if your building has a shared connection, they may well be using more capable kit to limit stuff like bittorrent. In this case you'd need to speak to whomever manages the Internet connection for the building to open the required ports for UO for your MAC address (**** for definite, not sure if anything else is required off the top of my head).

It's also a slight possibility that blocking may be being done by the actual internet service provider (especially ones that provide service via the cellular data networks like 3G and LTE), which means depending on your ISP, you might just be plain screwed without shelling out more cash per month.

Anyways, off to bed. good luck :)

Well....thanks Moccy. I'll talk to the homeowners and see if its a possibility for them to open it up for me (sorta doubt they know what I would be talking about) and maybe try to contact the internet provider. Looks like I might be screwed...but hey..got a infinity pool to swim in...so there is that....but its winter so that's sorta lame at the moment. If I ever am able to get on, I'll message you and give you $50k gold.

Also, for the record, I turned off all my firewalls and that didn't work either. UGH!!! Just when I re-discovered the game....*sighs*

Asan_Drakus

Grandmaster
My buddy had this same exact issue, funny enough he couldn't get Gw2 to work either.

It is a simple fix, but it requires more than 50k worth of typing. So, If you want me to type out this easy yet verbose fix, I am going to charge 500k. I know that may seem like a lot... but without me, you wont be able to play at all, so it is a small price to pay for your entertainment.

We have a deal?

Nah I am just kidding, but wouldn't that be a total ASSHOLE thing to do? ;-)

Balhalaban

Neophyte
Your issue is your ISP, You are receiving heavy packet loss from one of the cities in your route to the server. This is disallowing the login client to connect thus preventing your gameplay as your request is lost on the way. The only fix is to switch ISP's, or call and inquire about whether or not they have any line damage being repaired and temporarily rerouted, chances are they might and they may be able to give you an ETA on when it's expected to be fixed. There's also a tool you can use on DSLreports.com that allows you to see the current outages in any traceroute you perform. Sorry there is no quick fix.

Balhalaban

Neophyte
Your issue is your ISP, You are receiving heavy packet loss from one of the cities in your route to the server. This is disallowing the login client to connect thus preventing your gameplay as your request is lost on the way. The only fix is to switch ISP's, or call and inquire about whether or not they have any line damage being repaired and temporarily rerouted, chances are they might and they may be able to give you an ETA on when it's expected to be fixed. There's also a tool you can use on DSLreports.com that allows you to see the current outages in any traceroute you perform. Sorry there is no quick fix.

I apologize, their is one other option that I forgot. An electric surge could've overloaded something at the relay box that the line comes to your home from. If this is the case you need a Tech to come out from your ISP, they may argue with you in which case just tell them you saw lightening strike and they'll send someone out ASAP to prevent more customers from reporting outages.

K A Z

Grandmaster
go into the console and try both, ping login.uoforever.com and tracert login.uoforever.com .. might help you to understand the problem behind it.

Malrex

Neophyte
Sucky....

Well, I got a house near the ostards that all the tamers try to go too...bunch of potions, random armor, some regs, etc. And then I got a house by the desert....near a stream. This house is full of loot from treasure chests and I think there is a chest with a bunch of t-maps. There is a chance a friend of mine may pop on and refresh, but for all you IDOC's...good luck!

Moccy

Neophyte

100% loss on a ping request, but still having http access is consistent with a traffic-managed gateway scenario. For example, I manage a network where we disallow external ICMP requests across the board, except for domain administrators of course.

You can test this further by pinging www.google.com, and actually opening it in a browser. If you can't ping it, but can see it in the browser, ICMP packets are being blocked by the network.