Galleons still 15,000 gold

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
If your boat gets erased, dooes the gold get put back in your bank? and the stuff in the Hold?
It shouldn't. I would take anything out of a galleon you might have. It'll only be galleons, not classics. The gold for the galleons (15K) was a "rental" fee, so any money you've spent on galleons is gone.

greebo

Apprentice
Im just a noob mind ye... but I think hell no is the answer to that question. I could be wrong of course.

Lotus

Master
They specifically stated it would be a cheap price and rental kind of thing for testing purposes.. They announced it in a news thread.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Im just a noob mind ye... but I think hell no is the answer to that question. I could be wrong of course.
As mentioned previously in this thread, galleons are supposed to be crewed, and invested as such. Currently they are less than small ships. They were marketed as costly investments necessary to ultimately steal other ships at sea, with the risk being that if you were engaged you would pay a hefty ransom (10% ship cost), fight for the ship back or lose it altogether. There were several suggestions and hints this would be in the several hundred thousand gold range (meaning a ransom could net a crew roughly 50,000 gold, if not more, plus loot on board).

Mintavia

Neophyte
So is this what they call a "nerf" on fishing? Because I do not see how one is supposed to get anywhere on a fishing boat if they are being pk'd everytime they set sail. Any recommendations on how new fishers are to avoid these floating death traps? Will the smaller crafts be faster than these behemoths? I just started playing and this was never in uo classic. Where is the balance here? Not whining mind you...just curious. I would like to know before I make a decision to buy a fishing boat.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
You have an area that is as big if not bigger than the rest of the land mass on UO to explore with no choke points or places of focus where people can easily recall hop to in order to look for kills. You effectively operate in pitch black with one or two crews wandering around, groping in the dark, hoping they can find someone. Granted there are some pretty impressive tracking techniques that involve more than recalling around until you get lucky, and a lot of strategy involved to hunt prey at sea, but ultimately you have a lot of wiggle room to not find a pirate much at all - if ever.

Finally, if you do come across a galleon, sail away or fight back. If they have a galleon, they're going to be risking as much if not more than you to kill you, plus all the goods and equipment they have on board. It's probably the only legit risk vs. reward on the server at this point. You can recall off with your goods and just pay a trivial ransom fee (10% of your ship cost, which is only like 2-3k for classics) though that will hopefully become much more for the men-o-war.

halygon

Grandmaster
Dewd: we grabbed a galleon and outfitted it to come find ya for a fight, but got bored after 30min of finding no one, let alone you. We docked at trinsic and went to find land pvp. Don't know how you have the patience.

i like the current boat prices as it is!
very good

if they change to thousands..... byeeeee water adventures
:(
bye any life on sea.....

emtpy oceans again

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
i like the current boat prices as it is!
very good

if they change to thousands..... byeeeee water adventures
:(
bye any life on sea.....

emtpy oceans again
The oceans were never empty.

Ships were 120-150k when the server first started and there were still tons of ships on the water (more then because they would be left behind and sink from decay). So no, I disagree with that sentiment that more costly ships will lead to less ships. If that was the case, there would NEVER be IDOC'd or abandoned ships; as it stands, there have been dozens of ships (that we've seen with our own eyes) abandoned. People just pissing their gold away.

So many ships lost by AFKers and abandonment. Maybe if people were brutally butchered at sea left and right, again, maybe. Right now people are paying 4-5x as much because they see no inherent value in these ships. Make them 50-60K again, and make these galleons 500K, and they'll start taking care of their ships.

greebo

Apprentice
You have an area that is as big if not bigger than the rest of the land mass on UO to explore with no choke points or places of focus where people can easily recall hop to in order to look for kills. You effectively operate in pitch black with one or two crews wandering around, groping in the dark, hoping they can find someone. Granted there are some pretty impressive tracking techniques that involve more than recalling around until you get lucky, and a lot of strategy involved to hunt prey at sea, but ultimately you have a lot of wiggle room to not find a pirate much at all - if ever.

Finally, if you do come across a galleon, sail away or fight back. If they have a galleon, they're going to be risking as much if not more than you to kill you, plus all the goods and equipment they have on board. It's probably the only legit risk vs. reward on the server at this point. You can recall off with your goods and just pay a trivial ransom fee (10% of your ship cost, which is only like 2-3k for classics) though that will hopefully become much more for the men-o-war.

Dewd has a poster of Blackbeard on his wall that he salutes and gives sacrifices to every day IRL!!!

Dewd you know there is a Pirates of the Burning Sea game that the devs bought from Sony. It is pretty cool actually. It has pirate class, boarding combat, and ship to ship. Think I even had a Masterclass Courronne on my Freetrader (merchant class). Though Naval Officer takes the cake with the real big First Rates .... they crush Rats before they ever get in range (which pisses the rats off but none of them craft! Its all the nationals that craft).

Last edited by a moderator:

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Dewd has a poster of Blackbeard on his wall that he salutes and gives sacrifices to every day IRL!!!

Dewd you know there is a Pirates of the Burning Sea game that the devs bought from Sony. It is pretty cool actually. It has pirate class, boarding combat, and ship to ship. Think I even had a Masterclass Courronne on my Freetrader (merchant class). Though Naval Officer takes the cake with the real big First Rates .... they crush Rats before they ever get in range (which pisses the rats off but none of them craft! Its all the nationals that craft).
I ran an English Privateer dirty fighter. Problem is while lots of people want to play pirate, not everyone likes sailing or naval combat from the perspective of a ship captain. My crew would jump at the chance of taking the old girl out for a patrol, but each commanding their own vessel? Not so much.

Although Sara loved the character customization system (as did I).

PS: Galleons are still cheap.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
The price on these will be corrected soon as well as any instances of the boats removed. Possibly tomorrow, depending on my schedule.
Will-Ferrell-Elf-You-Sit-on-a-Throne-of-Lies.gif

But srsly, any ETA on when these will get adjusted?