FFA PvP Event Ruined By Exploiters Killing Players AFTER FFA Ends In Safe Zone and Dry Looting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well... where do I even start with all of this so as to not 'rage' about what happened...

I have been here 130 days. I almost quit my first month because I didn't know anyone yet, and ran into constant Zergs at what I will call the 'Height of the Zergs - Early Summer 2015' . This is the first time I came back to UO in a 10-12 year hiatus. I browsed multiple potential servers and chose UO:F for Multiple Reasons.

Professional Appearance
Professional Up-Time
Professional and Custom Items, Events, etc
Unique Content
"Safe" Fun PvP Events that allow competition and fun.

There are many more reasons that UO:F is 'The Way to Go' if you want to play Ultima Online. Let me make that Loud and Clear prior to my Anger and Annoyance in what happened tonight.

Tonight was a situation that has happened at least once before a few months back in which players exploited the safe zone and killed and looted other players. This situation is quite similar in the fact that the (2) Players that I am fully aware that participated in the killings in the Safe Zone were Purposeful Attacks, no question.

As we finished the FFA, we were ported to the marble slab in the safe zone. This is known to sometimes cause 'battle mode' timeout to clear before you can step down or leave the marble slab to be on foot in the dock zone. During this time-out period, two players, Torren and (This or Savy or That, whatever) Old Soul - EQMS Members, purposely casted consistent ebolt rails and targeted players still grey to them from the PvP Event and killed 4 or 5 players.

I was a victim to this. A single bandage heal and heal pot cannot withstand 6-10 ebolts. As a result, IN THE DOCK SAFE ZONE, I was killed, and fully dry looted prior to having to run to brit bridge to res and come back to the dock. It is a Known Fact that I run a lower-level horned runic bone suit and invul gorget because I'm proud of my low-budget 73 AR suit as well as my Verite Runic Kryss that was looted. To make it even more rediculous, they completely dry-looted all 4-5 bodies of who they killed, down to the pots and bandages as well.

Bromista barely made it out before being killed as well. A Known, Friendly TBA Member was victim, as well as an IRC member known as phantomrash, and someone else. When I paged, GM Blair was the responding GM. He told me that he had been watching for a while and that he personally could not replace items, and that I shouldn't expect any of my gear returned. When I asked if the two EQMS members who did this would be jailed or punished for what they did, he had no response. When I told him I could PROVE who I bought the verite kryss from and how much it was thru private messages on the forum of the transaction, and that my own Real Life Brother's crafters name, Furiosa, was the name of the armor, he still told me that I shouldn't expect my gear back, but that Joeb would look into the situation, and left.

At what point are things going to be dealt with as they should be, at what point should a player who has stuck to ALL the rules, been a consistent donator, and who has taken his time to learn this server, learn how the events work, work hard to acquire items that make you a stronger player, actually be listened to and be told that something will be done about things like this, and see compensation, or at least, fair judgement dealt, for the exploit that was taken advantage of?

We know the eventscore system is still down as far as points. Yet I have personally asked @Shane if I could apply and make a post to be the Event Manager for this server, because points or not, I'm so Thankful to play on a server that has implemented these additional game aspects and competitiveness to UO, that I want to help push these events happening on a regular basis so that we can enjoy them.

Look - if a dexer gets attacked in a forced tile, you don't have to 'choose' to attack to accidentally or purposely hit someone. A MAGE on the other hand, TWO MAGES, purposely casting Ebolts and Explodes and Targeting players - is Purposeful Intent.

Should the items be replaced that were lost? YES - I think they should. If not the items, the 500k value of the items should be replaced. But more so, you could forget that completely, if you'll just take that shit back from those players or punish them in regards to their items and/or jail them for purposeful intent they had. I have multiple witnesses to this as well as players that complained immediately after the FFA in IRC about what happened.

PLEASE Keep in mind how respectful I have tried to be in this post. As far as EQMS: I have no problems with EQMS - in fact, you have become a respectable pk and pvp guild compared to others - my problem is with the two individual players who caused this griefing/exploiting. In fact, The TBA player who was killed after the FFA was given the ability to report Torren for his murder, and it turned him Red, per his account of what he saw on his screen. As far as donating: Everyone Should Donate - even if its just $10 - I am not saying I will not donate because of what happened. I don't think that's fair to the owner and most staff here. Abusive Players did this, not UO:F.

People need to remember it takes time to figure this game out. It takes time to adjust to changes that have occurred if you've been away from the game such as my brother and I have been. It takes time to make the gold, meet friends, find someone selling certain pieces of armor or a horned runic sewing kit, time to find someone who is willing to use a verite charge to make a weapon, and the gold required to buy it. You have to educated your self with whats unique about UO:F and what it takes to be competitive.

That said, I will say that I am very sad in the fact that what I find most enjoyable about this server, the PvP Events and custom content, due to some of them currently being under construction, and the incident tonight, I basically don't see my self doing PvP Events without the concern of losing the items I have put in time to earn, again.

ZPxDA.jpg

Bodies of those killed - Couldn't SS prior til I got back from ressing in an attempt to get my shit.

IrHB0.jpg

Bomby/Cactus King from TBA discussing how his character Cactus was one of the victims and stood around with me for a bit as we discussed if we should page and how to handle the situation.

EazCu.jpg

Blair telling me he couldn't do anything about it, and didn't stick around long enough to discuss it any further other then saying don't expect your gear back and we will try to fix it from happening next time. No response to the players that did this when I asked about them being dealt with for this.

bsszQ.jpg

Phantomrash being very noble given the situation - This was after he hopped in IRC asking if their was anything going on about the FFA Safe Zone Massacre that happened after the FFA.

These things have to stop. There are players here who are very devoted and thankful that UO:F and its creative staff exist for us to enjoy this game in its more classic, enjoyable state. That said, those of us who Aren't speaking up often on forums and going ape shit about guild politics and 'lawls', griefing players, griefing events and other ridiculous shit, are being shit on for their efforts to play and enjoy this server to its fullest extent and capabilities.

This is not coming from a new player, or even veteran player, "bitching" or "crying" about whats wrong about this game. This is a player who truly enjoys this server and has real concern about things such as this incident and how it was handled.

I appreciate anyone taking the time to read and understand my issues. Thanks.

pacrsfan

Master
So basicaly you can now longer bring top gear to events? No one is buying runics to run in the field with them so I guess there's no reason to even buy one.There's a gump when you take your pet out of stables to warn you where's the one that says only bring crap to this event because some one may exploit a bug and take our crap and no one really cares if they do.Come on this has got to be fixed.A verrite runic's not cheap and if you can't use it at event what good are they?
@Shane @eppy

Bromista

Grandmaster
Can confirm. I was teleported away at the last second. The two players (Old Savy Soul and Toren) revealed me from hidden to dump on me next but I made it out just in time. Can also confirm that this happened after a previous FFA event.

If I remember correctly staff was pretty upset that players were doing this in the past and threatened jail time (even potential bannings) if it happened again. Obviously the problem that allows this to happen in the first place needs to be corrected.

Same guild that did it last time. Give that some thought.

Ripstas

Master
I'm assuming someone was banned for this. Mostly because I saw them banned. Idk why they were banned though.

CAPTUN AUSTRALIA

Grandmaster
Couldn't bring myself to read the essay, but i looked at the SS - you lost a vanq +15 kat and some invul ar?

Shit bro, i lose way more than that when i get zerged on my pks by griefer blue "pvpers" during normal gameplay, and beyond the vanq/gold runics, i get taken out of the game for 48 hours lol.

It may suck, but just move on.

Messremb

Grandmaster
Couldn't bring myself to read the essay, but i looked at the SS - you lost a vanq +15 kat and some invul ar?

Shit bro, i lose way more than that when i get zerged on my pks by griefer blue "pvpers" during normal gameplay, and beyond the vanq/gold runics, i get taken out of the game for 48 hours lol.

Try reading, he lost a horned runic ar set(not worth much), and a verite kryss.

Brom almost lost barbed runic ar, and a Val kat.

This ain't your cheap ass pk gear.

And as far as I know nobody was even jailed for this. The banning was for different reasons (idk the whole story so keeping my mouth shut )

I know the post is long, but the lack of reading it all invalidates the reply a bit. Those were the items lost by one of the other players that were killed. I lost a verite kryss and horned runic bone set with an invul gorget, closer to 400-500k worth of pvp equipment to use specifically to enjoy and compete in the fun PvP Events.

I appreciate that most of the response has remained on topic and within a respect of the situation.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
Not a big fan of safe zones myself in general, and I am ALL for creative play. But if you have a safe zone in place then it should be a SAFE zone. You have my support @Szapherdok, I have not attended that many events yet, but I have seen you at EVERY single one I have attended. And life isn't fair, and people lose items to different shit all the time, but if people want to be assholes without warrant, then a big dick should come along and FUCK them. Best of luck.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Try reading, he lost a horned runic ar set(not worth much), and a verite kryss.

Brom almost lost barbed runic ar, and a Val kat.

This ain't your cheap ass pk gear.

And as far as I know nobody was even jailed for this. The banning was for different reasons (idk the whole story so keeping my mouth shut )

typically what happens is multiple players will massively PM staff to make the situation seem more dramatic. GMs will sometimes jail a player or just come talk to them and sometimes the person who was massively paged on feels threatened and says things that are rude. Rudeness to staff is of course not tolerated and for a good reason; these guys are alright guys just trying to protect their baby. They don't deserve rudeness but they do put up with a lot of it when it does happen, so likely if this is the case here then the person obviously was being very rude for a banning to have occured.

But historically on other shards I've noticed that there are not good policies to promote healthy player interaction. Something which I have been very vocal about in the past especially. One point I like to make is that players should never be jailed and left there without a reason for more than like a minute. It's always better when staff comes and says hey, just trying to sort out this mess here, hang tight while I go investigate. That prevents a lot of pages from the jailed person who assumes they're being left in jail to rot and therefore already being punished for something they might have mixed opinions on if it's a grey area.

Now I'm not saying this is the case here, because I know nothing of this situation except what I've read in this thread. I don't think this is a problem on this server, I know shane hands down some proper legislation from what I've seen on how player interaction goes here on UO:F and it's been good in terms of players being banned for obvious misconduct and eventually getting unbanned in the mass unbannings after a timeout, which has been pretty healthy for the server imo. I've seen this particular problem on other shards though, so for players who have had bad dealings with gamemasters in the past and may be returning to UO and starting on UO:F it's nice for them to see that that's not how we do things here.

As for this situation, I believe it's always been a problem that FFA contestants can be attacked after a match ends, and they would still be being hit, but not taking damage as the area was a safe zone before. Now that the area has undergone a change, it may be the cause of this happening. If this is the case, I don't believe it would be appropriate for any punishment to be given to a player or any of the items returned. After all there was never any official statement made by staff about the fact that you can bring your own items into the events. Therefore it was always a 'bring at your own risk' thing. I personally haven't done the FFA since the recent changes to it, and although this problem wasn't the biggest factor in my decision to spend my time elsewhere, it was definitely a factor.

I'd also like to mention that there is a bug reporting page here

TL;DR it's unfortunate that nobody took the time to report this problem until finally someone lost an item and now heads have to roll for the people who lost items to be satisfied. It's a freeshard, you get back what you put in.

Last edited by a moderator:

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
Some good points made @wreckognize, especially about staff and pages. Playing sheriff ain't easy, but if you are going to have boundaries, you must make them clear, and make clear what happens when they are crossed and then Enforce that.

I am all for just erasing safe zones, getting rid of lockdown and secure containers and let us go back to pirate days where you could cat burglar a man's house in the dead of night. ;)

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Some good points made @wreckognize, especially about staff and pages. Playing sheriff ain't easy, but if you are going to have boundaries, you must make them clear, and make clear what happens when they are crossed. I am all for just erasing safe zones, getting rid of lockdown and secure containers and let us go back to pirate days where you could cat burglar a man's house in the dead of night. ;)

yes to all of this.

and lol the funny part of this whole incident is that the players who lost/almost lost their best weapons were probably teaming up on people in the ''free for all'' event. As usual.

One thing's for certain here, if @Bromista was out PvPing then he definitely wasn't there by himself!! lolol

SMH

Sounds to me like whoever was killing people at the FFA exit deserve a medal for upholding honor and great justice against these teamin' hillbillys

Last edited by a moderator:

LSDjay

Grandmaster
This should be fixed, and you should have returned the stuff you have lost. These events also are for newer players getting
there first taste of pvp and encourage players in it.
Having shit like this at the end of it, will surely stop players from participating.

Whats next, a few tamers summoning there pets in at the end of it, just to kill the remaining grey ? ( can u even summon pets in on docks )

wreckognize

Grandmaster
This should be fixed, and you should have returned the stuff you have lost. These events also are for newer players getting
there first taste of pvp and encourage players in it.
Having shit like this at the end of it, will surely stop players from participating.

Whats next, a few tamers summoning there pets in at the end of it, just to kill the remaining grey ? ( can u even summon pets in on docks )

I'm sure it will be fixed mate, but if I may ask why do you think these guys deserve their items back??

LSDjay

Grandmaster
I'm sure it will be fixed mate, but if I may ask why do you think these guys deserve their items back??
Because i think this was not supposed to happen, after leaving a FFA event.
There is a reason offcourse why the FFA and other event exits are in a old safe-zone.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
If anything I would say that because there was no disclaimer or warning about bringing your items at your own risk, nor mention of the fact that you could bring items, that staff isn't obligated either way.

Since they're not obligated to replace the items, then why should staff break their own rules??

from the FAQ:

Staff Related Rules:

Ultima Online Forever Staff will never replace or give out items for any reason.

To me this rule exists for more than one reason. That is to say, if in this case staff doesn't take the item from the player who ended up with it, they would have to generate a new item of that type, bringing it's value down for everyone else. It's best just not to get involved in these types of cases imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.