Expansion Idea: the Britain Constabulary

Winstonian

Grandmaster
For far too long, murderers and thieves have victimized the good people of Britain. Innocent tamers, bards and warriors have been viciously slain - unprovoked - at the hands of the dastardly and demonic... deeds that, thus far, have gone unpunished. It's time for a new class of citizen to rise from the ranks. It's time for the good-hearted and level-headed to seek employment with the Britain Constabulary, the first law enforcement agency of UOF.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This suggestion would update three rarely used skills (Forensic Evaluation, Tracking and Detect Hidden) while providing an immersive, balancing style of gameplay to UOF. As of right now, there's hardly a consequence for murdering another player. Red/blue PvP is an essential aspect of UO, and this suggestion builds onto that interaction by providing a time/reward benefit for choosing good over evil.

Players can opt to join the BC, are given a title based on their rank and a "badge" that is displayed above all clothing layers. Any player who joins the BC cannot have a red character on that account.

The BC expansion would significantly enhance three skills:

Forensic Evaluation
- When used on a body successfully, will show the name of the killer. At GM, if person was murdered, killer will appear "perma red" to the player, and will be told the general location of the killer.
- With GM Tracking, player will be led to the killer. If tracking in this manner is initiated, killer cannot logout.
- Killing a player in this manner counts as an "arrest".
- Forensic Evaluation would be modified to gain slowly, and gains could only be had in dungeons. (Think: taming gains.)

Tracking
- Alerts to recent criminal activity and flags involved players. (Ex: identifies and tracks thieves and murderers who recently committed their respective crimes.)
- Players tracked in this manner remain "flagged" to the player and cannot logout.
- Killing a player tracked in this manner counts as an "arrest".

Detect Hidden
- Automatically reveals hidden murderers and thieves within a specified radius.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrests
- Arrests determine the rank of the player. The higher the rank, the greater the salary gained. (Ex: a high-ranking BC member may gain a 500k salary per week.)
- After 100 arrests, an icon appears next to each player that has a red character on the same account. All of those characters appear orange to the player.

This idea is a rough sketch of a system that I feel would both generate PvP and provide a balancing system to a game that was always intended to have one. Watching the world of UOF evolve with this system would be interesting.

(None of the above is set in stone. Details/mechanics subject to change.)

Winstonian

Grandmaster
*Murdering two player during one week on an account with a character in the BC causes that player to be fired from BC and having his account banned permanently.

*One character per account can join the BC.

Dellan

Grandmaster
Always wanted to have more uses for Forensics. To make it essential skill for Detective type of character. Think I made some suggestions in that regard.. Years ago, heh. Something in terms of GM Forensics:

-Use on player and see if he's a thief (that's here) and if he's permagrey (that's missing)
-If thief that is ID'ed by detective is killed by said detective, all items he stole during half hour (or something) would be handed to detective, who would choose if he wants to return them to owners in exchange for currency for constable vendor (clothes and whatnots), or keep them, hooray for vigilantes and crooked cops
-If used on corpse, whodunnit (I think that's here) and general location of the murderer, vague description like Destard, Somewhere north of Britain, something in these terms. If det got close, he'd get tracker to exact location. Dispatching said criminal would again give currency for vendor, points to rise in ranks to gain titles and whatnots. Shouldn't be able to stat the guy though, that'd be too harsh.

Depends on how abusable it would be.

For far too long, murderers and thieves have victimized the good people of Britain. Innocent tamers, bards and warriors have been viciously slain - unprovoked - at the hands of the dastardly and demonic... deeds that, thus far, have gone unpunished. It's time for a new class of citizen to rise from the ranks. It's time for the good-hearted and level-headed to seek employment with the Britain Constabulary, the first law enforcement agency of UOF.

This suggestion would update three rarely used skills (Forensic Evaluation, Tracking and Detect Hidden) while providing an immersive, balancing style of gameplay to UOF. As of right now, there's hardly a consequence for murdering another player. Red/blue PvP is an essential aspect of UO, and this suggestion builds onto that interaction by providing a time/reward benefit for choosing good over evil.

Players can opt to join the BC, are given a title based on their rank and a "badge" that is displayed above all clothing layers. Any player who joins the BC cannot have a red character on that account.

The BC expansion would significantly enhance three skills:

Forensic Evaluation
- When used on a body successfully, will show the name of the killer. At GM, if person was murdered, killer will appear "perma red" to the player, and will be told the general location of the killer.
- With GM Tracking, player will be led to the killer. If tracking in this manner is initiated, killer cannot logout.
- Killing a player in this manner counts as an "arrest".
- Forensic Evaluation would be modified to gain slowly, and gains could only be had in dungeons. (Think: taming gains.)

Tracking
- Alerts to recent criminal activity and flags involved players. (Ex: identifies and tracks thieves and murderers who recently committed their respective crimes.)
- Players tracked in this manner remain "flagged" to the player and cannot logout.
- Killing a player tracked in this manner counts as an "arrest".

Detect Hidden
- Automatically reveals hidden murderers and thieves within a specified radius.

Arrests
- Arrests determine the rank of the player. The higher the rank, the greater the salary gained. (Ex: a high-ranking BC member may gain a 500k salary per week.)
- After 100 arrests, an icon appears next to each player that has a red character on the same account. All of those characters appear orange to the player.

This idea is a rough sketch of a system that I feel would both generate PvP and provide a balancing system to a game that was always intended to have one. Watching the world of UOF evolve with this system would be interesting.

(None of the above is set in stone. Details/mechanics subject to change.)

On behalf of the UOF community, i can whole heatedly say that we're all extremely glad you aren't a developer.

Most of your posts are so bad, that it's almost as if you're a super troll.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
We get it baseball dad, if it ain't hardcore, then it's not a worthy suggestion.

I for one would welcome some sort of Paladin system, or Britain Constabulary - it's the balance to the reds. Right now reds run around and get loot off of PvM chars mainly, under the guise it's PvP. If you are a red hunter, it's a thankless job, where the time invested in it really doesn't make it worth while, most reds or thieves, if they get a score, stash it right away. Because there are so many characters, no one truly buys back heads. Another issue as a red hunter is trying to find/track reds. Sometimes you get lucky, and cross paths, other times you can go an hour without seeing one. Reds get in, get their kills, and get out quickly in most cases.

I don't know that the above suggestions are going to work, but it is a starting point for discussion in my eyes. The forensics / tracking has merit - but you've also just tied up 200 skill points, putting the BC at a disadvantage... Honestly if there were any incentive at all to hunt reds, more would probably do it, and we could self police the problem...

girana

Grandmaster
We get it baseball dad, if it ain't hardcore, then it's not a worthy suggestion.

I for one would welcome some sort of Paladin system, or Britain Constabulary - it's the balance to the reds. Right now reds run around and get loot off of PvM chars mainly, under the guise it's PvP. If you are a red hunter, it's a thankless job, where the time invested in it really doesn't make it worth while, most reds or thieves, if they get a score, stash it right away. Because there are so many characters, no one truly buys back heads. Another issue as a red hunter is trying to find/track reds. Sometimes you get lucky, and cross paths, other times you can go an hour without seeing one. Reds get in, get their kills, and get out quickly in most cases.

I don't know that the above suggestions are going to work, but it is a starting point for discussion in my eyes. The forensics / tracking has merit - but you've also just tied up 200 skill points, putting the BC at a disadvantage... Honestly if there were any incentive at all to hunt reds, more would probably do it, and we could self police the problem...

there is no way to stop ppl from killing their own/friends reds to get the gold so all these suggestions based on gold for killing reds wont work.

StegcO

Grandmaster
The only way to protect newbies is to focus community in an area, like champions spawn for example or arch deamon, there people need to stay all together in an area of 40x40 or 200x200 so blues can defende themself and other blues can help (cause they know where to go).

Thats why I suggest to change MOTM to be every month in a different level 1 dungeon, so people that want to protect newbies no need to recall in 50 farming spots just to hope to recall while a red is attacking a newbie, but instead recalling at dungeons entrance where all the action will be.

Personally I always log my blues to protect newbies but after 4 recall spots i got annoyed because its impossible to meet a red, so i login my PKs so I can finally meet an enemy.

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
there is no way to stop ppl from killing their own/friends reds to get the gold so all these suggestions based on gold for killing reds wont work.

I don't disagree entirely, but honestly gold really doesn't drive me, progression based systems do. And if the reward at the end is aesthetic, and character blessed, who cares if someone wants to cheat themselves out of the fun of the system.

I'd be happy with title scrolls, a title/rank above my name, some sort of clothing that tells people I'm an established PK hunter..
I feel the same about the Monster Hunter system... having some items to really show who/what you do, is much better than 15k at the end of the contract.

You really need to widen your vision girana...

Zog'orium

Grandmaster
I don't know man. The last few times we have gotten stomped after klomping someone has been from the 86 guild. First time was they got the militia notice and tracked us down in fire. The other couple times was after we klomped a guild member of theirs and they responded as backup.

So the end result is a guild of pvpers/pk's utilized the current systems in place (militia notifications and voice channels/guild chat) without any need for rewards other than revenge.

There are more bored blue "elitist, safe zone sitting" 'pvpers' than reds - FACT.

Some of the above posters literally think blues drop like ettins for pks and give up the virginity with their shitty lootz.

That's far from the case (9/10 times - sometimes, literally an ettin has more cunning than some of my victims).

The current system enables blue target closest spell zergs to get revenge by taking that player out of the game for 48 hours after they random drop 12 spells, and also get their lootz - reds warriors do carry nice weapons.

The same noobz wanting harsher red penalties are the same terribads who think throwing explode pots automatically means SCRIPT.

K A Z

Grandmaster
didn't a shard once try a similar system to the one proposed and it turned out that paladins (blue players) were the biggest griefers when given the right tools? Oh yes, I think that's how all of that went down...

didn't a shard once try a similar system to the one proposed and it turned out that paladins (blue players) were the biggest griefers when given the right tools? Oh yes, I think that's how all of that went down...

Plus the owner necked himself when his 0/10 gf left him.