Errors so far with new boating system

Experience

Grandmaster
1. Once you board a ship and take the helm..your char will be bugged 1 tile west until you close client and re-open.
2. Large ships are hard to get up to full speed using mouse control
3. You MUST say raise anchor before you "take the helm" otherwise you have to leave the helm and say it then re-take the helm

This is not a bug BUT: WARNING!!!! You can no longer repair ships (AFAIK) so be careful not to click SCUTTLE SHIP

Yoar

Adept
The first thing I noticed is that the extreme speed of the small boats really messes with your client. It's very clunky to move around while or after sailing.

Some errors that I found:
1. You cannot cross the server boundary anymore.
2. When you sail over a sinking ship, your ship also sinks after which is dissapears (doesn't go to your bank box).
3. The tillerman doesn't say "Arr, we have stopped sir!" when sailing into obstacles. A little feedback is always nice.
4. Double clicking an 'old' classic boat may not give you a 'new' classic boat deed (happened to me and others).

On a side node, there are some buttons and labels on tillerman gump that have no function. I suppose the system has not yet been made fully compatible with UOF.

My first impressions is that the system with all its buttons and commands goes against the open world feel of pre-AOS UO. I admit that the original boating system of UO is incomplete and flawed, but it is a good base to work from. Deviating too much from the original system will make pre-AOS UO fans (like me) sad :(.

Last edited by a moderator:

Experience

Grandmaster
I found out the hard way ships aren't repairable and lost a large dragon ship :( but all is well when being dumb like i was and pushing the limits!

Yoar

Adept
I found out the hard way ships aren't repairable and lost a large dragon ship :( but all is well when being dumb like i was and pushing the limits!

Check your bank box. All your sunken ships should get conveniently placed into it.

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
I found keeping the mouse closer to my character helped with steering. The small boats needed to be faster to be able to have a shot of outrunning the galleons once they're put in because they won't survive much more than one volly.

Yoar

Adept
I found keeping the mouse closer to my character helped with steering. The small boats needed to be faster to be able to have a shot of outrunning the galleons once they're put in because they won't survive much more than one volly.

From a pirate's standpoint: why would you use a galleon if the small boats can outrun them?

In the previous system, you could also evade cannon shots from a galleon by skillfully maneuvering your way around them. Galleons are much bigger and harder to turn than smaller boats.

Experience

Grandmaster
You could avoid being shot, but not get away. A very large cumbersome ship should not be as fast as a small ship. But now with galleans having 12 cannons per side (or whatever the actual number is) all you need is the luck of 1 volley or to wipe out the crew with a suprise attack just like a normal pirate

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
From a pirate's standpoint: why would you use a galleon if the small boats can outrun them?

In the previous system, you could also evade cannon shots from a galleon by skillfully maneuvering your way around them. Galleons are much bigger and harder to turn than smaller boats.

Need a pirate fleet with a couple smalls for blocking :)

Yoar

Adept
Not everyone's a pirate;)

Alright then. Let's consider all scenarios ;).

There are currently three main purposes to go sailing:
1. Pirating! You want to find people as quickly as you can. Also, you want to be able to chase people down. For this, I'd use my small classic.
2. Fishing up sunken treasure. You want to get to your MiBs as fast as you can. Again, I'd use my small classic.
3. Fishing up serpents for nets, maps and MiBs. You can pick an area of deep water and run your fishing macro and move your boat a few tiles when the fish run out. Speed is not important and you can use a big ass galleon. Hell, it might even come in handy when a pirate crew (on a small ship) attacks you.

So only when you're fishing up serpents a galleon seems like a reasonable choice. I'm not saying this is wrong, but it destroys the purpose of having a big (pirate) crew on a galleon.

Need a pirate fleet with a couple smalls for blocking :)

This is what I would do :p. Block people in with smalls and then plonk my big galleon right beside them. It doesn't really encourage RP though.

Godsrage

Grandmaster
uof should have given the player a choice for the new boats and the old boats. We love what you did it like telling the player you can not go in the dungeon with no armor, weapons and regs. UOF should put more rares for the deep water monsters. The MIBs should have better items (semi-rares would be nice). Fishing for one of a kind paintings. We should have the choice between the old & the new. It's pretty bad that I have to lock down my boats on my house for fear they will change or delete.

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
Many of those things are being worked on. The new boat system was only a start. As far as locking down your boats? I mean you can keep there yeah, but once you put them in the water they will be changed. The regular ones will basically look the same but have cannons. Galleons will be removed and the gold returned. Then you can craft the larger ones once that is put into game, which I believe Adam said tomorrow. This will hopefully encourage more people on the water, whether it's in small or large ships, Yoar. Or did you prefer having no one to pirate?

Yoar

Adept
This will hopefully encourage more people on the water, whether it's in small or large ships, Yoar. Or did you prefer having no one to pirate?

Oh, I do want people to be encouraged to go out and explore the wonderful waters of UO.

I also want people to be encouraged to invest in a large galleon. But speed beats anything at sea. Heavy cannons are useless if the prey is twice as fast as you. Also, the most experienced sailor on a medium classic can never outrun a newbie sailor on a small classic. It's less about the sailing skill and more about the type of boat you pick. In the end, everyone will go for the fastest boat, which is boring.

I'd propose decreased maneuverability for galleons (slow turning, no 'come about') while maintaining the same speeds for all boats. In a ship battle, a smaller boat captained by a competent sailor would still be able to escape a big galleon.

Experience

Grandmaster
I tried re-syncing and re-logging. It only fixes the issue if you close out and re-log. And oddly it doesn't happen every time..but every time you embark onto a cannon it causes the issue.

You can upgrade (or atleast will be able to) the speed of your ship so if you have a large ship/galleon and you put enough work into it maybe you can go fast enough to slaughter the small ships..(or even get a front/rear cannon *hint hint*)