Double Smelting Ore? Help Plz

Andy8554

Adept
Hey guys,

I am 110 mining and still fail to double smelt iron ore each time I am near a forge. The system message when I succeed goes something like, "you skillfully extract ore...." I love it when that happens because I get double the ingots.

Does this happen every time at a higher level ie 115 or 120 mining for smelting iron ore?

Thanks Guys

Enthalpic

Grandmaster
I wouldn't know... but making sure you are well fed/drank before smelting would increase your chances regardless. Food and water makes a big difference on success rates here.

eppy

Grandmaster
I dont double smelt every time at 115 and wearing +3 gloves. I dont know what the rate is, but I suspect ~60% will double. I always split my piles into two before smelting.

Enthalpic

Grandmaster
I dont double smelt every time at 115 and wearing +3 gloves. I dont know what the rate is, but I suspect ~60% will double. I always split my piles into two before smelting.

Why split? I wouldn't think that would affect your long-term ingot return.

This isn't official but, I believe "Double Smelting" is the same thing as exceptional chance for every other trade profession. I would venture a guess that if you're GM your chances to double smelt iron would be around 58%. Add 10% if you're in Brit crafting area. Not sure what the effect of a legendary scroll or +5 gloves would do but, it would probably follow the same formula as blacksmith exceptional chance.

Nihilism

Grandmaster
Matrix is pretty close to the real #'s. it's like 50% at gm or something, and each 10 skill is another 5% iirc. Maxing at like 60% @ 120.

eppy

Grandmaster
Matrix is pretty close to the real #'s. it's like 50% at gm or something, and each 10 skill is another 5% iirc. Maxing at like 60% @ 120.

Wouldn't that make it max at 70%?

Also, does the crafting bonus apply to smelting? I looked through the runuo code today for mining and none of this stuff is in there so no help. :(