Does my build suck?

Third3ye

Neophyte
I haven't played since OSI AoS? That's when I joined and wish I could've played pre tram :C Oh well. Anyways yeah its been ages and I was pretty noob even then, I'm 25 now.

TL;DR

My skill build idea:

- Fencing
- Archery
- Poisoning (started this at 50)
- Healing
- Anatomy
- Tactics
- Resist Spells (started this at 50)

100 dex/str 25 int

I'm playing for PvP, is this viable? No, I don't want magery, ever.

Third3ye

Neophyte
For 10 extra damage from explosion pots? I know it adds up but I could see more uses for having archery, like finishing off a runner or kiting a pure melee build.

Elizabeth Gold

Grandmaster
The explosion potions will do that too. They have some heatseaker code or something. Actually, they are missles but since this is a medival fantasy game...

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I haven't played since OSI AoS? That's when I joined and wish I could've played pre tram :C Oh well. Anyways yeah its been ages and I was pretty noob even then, I'm 25 now.

TL;DR

My skill build idea:

- Fencing
- Archery
- Healing
- Anatomy
- Tactics

100 dex/str 25 int

You know, why not give it a whirl? I can see how this build might have potential but unless you test it you might never know. There are lots and lots of builds, tons of uoforever builds and folks seem to follow the same tried and tested builds over and over. Go ahead and test it, you can always change to something else if your build does not perform how you want it too or you might be pleasantly surprised and you have just invented the next big thing.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
they are right you cant fire arrows w/o stopping while u can throw pots for upto 25 dmg every 4-5 secs. saying that thou Dark has a point is nothing wrong with trying something diffrent.

The tired and tested builds are obv the better templates after this many years of UO people know what works best but who cares try it and have some fun

Third3ye

Neophyte
alchemy skill or not I see no reason not to use explosive pots as well. I'll definitely need to make a GM alchemist on another character to support this combat based character anyways.

So for me that's 15 damage for an explosive pot?

drasked

Grandmaster
Keep in mind that having GM poisoning only gives you 40% chance to DP people instead of 20% without GM poisoning.

The thing with explo pots is that you can use them at the same time as your fencing. You can't use fencing and archery at the same time. Also unless you going to use super good bows i think alchemy does more damage and is cheaper.

Not having magery is a weakness that is easy to exploit, people can kill you almost in 1 combo if you don't offscreen properly.

Having said all that, just do whatever the fuck you like and see if it works, just like the last 2 posts said.

Malkraven

Grandmaster
alchemy skill or not I see no reason not to use explosive pots as well. I'll definitely need to make a GM alchemist on another character to support this combat based character anyways.

So for me that's 15 damage for an explosive pot?

yea kinda but u cant throw pots with bow's equiped only 2 handed melee weps so it will be a matter of firing an arrow disarm/pot rearm wait for shot (no instahit here) then disarm and pot again.

Try it see how it feels

eric_azria

Grandmaster
If you don't want magery, you've got two options.

Hiding/Fencing/Archery

or

Hiding/Fencing/Alchemy

You'll probably have way more success with the alchemy combo.

Also, I'd advise running something like 100 str, 85 dex, 40 Int to semi-counter mindblast from mages.

Design your builds around survival and you'll come out on top. Glass cannons can be okay, but you won't encounter one vs ones too often and if you do it's against lonely bards.

asics

Grandmaster

TL;DR

My skill build idea:

- Fencing
- Archery
- Healing
- Anatomy
- Tactics

100 dex/str 25 int

I have it with mace instead fencing
I know that alchemy is really better then archery ( cause i have same template too with alchy..) but i enjoy archery sometime :).. But on pvp
Explo pot>>>archery sadly :)

It can be funny... Isuggest u mace instead..

U also can chose instead archery:

Inscription - magery ( for poisoin)

Hiding - especially if u go red

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster

TL;DR

My skill build idea:

- Fencing
- Archery
- Healing
- Anatomy
- Tactics

100 dex/str 25 int

While I'm partial to having some magery (a min of 60 points for 100% 4th circle spells, but I have plans for less using inscription to cover the gap) I do like this build. The downfall however are the game mechanics. Magic hits 100% of the time, is ranged, and is usually faster than shooting a bow. A mage needs to stand still while casting, but so does an archer if only for a second, to loose an arrow. Giving the mage in question a chance to cast another spell, or run. And most mages have a weapon skill, wrestling, or defensive wrestling; meaning you have (on a non-magical weapon) a 50% to land an attack, and invul leather can cut dmg by a large amount (a fact that makes me think meditation should have a AR limit on par with stealth: 13~16)

I am greatly interested in how you perform in combat regardless; keep us posted, ya?

Third3ye

Neophyte
I'll keep ya posted lol.

Again, I have no interest in magery, I always hated it in UO, reagents just piss me off. Whether its a cookie cut mandatory to most templates I really could care less, I'll find another way that works... I hope c:

BUT UHHHH wrestling can make you have a 50% chance to be hit? So defense wise its better than blocking/parry? Wow.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
I'll keep ya posted lol.

Again, I have no interest in magery, I always hated it in UO, reagents just piss me off. Whether its a cookie cut mandatory to most templates I really could care less, I'll find another way that works... I hope c:

BUT UHHHH wrestling can make you have a 50% chance to be hit? So defense wise its better than blocking/parry? Wow.

No, no at all.

What I mean is between GM combat skill verse GM combat skill each combatant has 50% to hit the other; this is before you also take into account parry.

Let's say combatant A is a classic sword & board warrior, and combatant B is a axe wielder.

They close the distance and swing; each swing at the other and make attack rolls: each has a 50% chance to hit the other since they are equal skill.

Combatant B, however, needs to make an additional attack roll verse parry to land the hit assuming they cleared the first roll.

That is my understanding.

Third3ye

Neophyte
Also I'm thinking of a PvP tamer build... This is like the hardest thing for me to figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again Magery isn't something I'd go for so keep that in mind. But first a question, how does inscription work? Can I cast spells with the scrolls? If so, reliably and to what effectiveness? Are they hard to make?

My build idea so far... although in a constant state of fluctuation lol.

- Animal Taming
- Animal Lore
- Veterinary
- Healing
- Anatomy
- Resist Spells
- Alchemy

I'm thinking alchemy now since its "better" than archery.. I'm thinking hit and run tactics throwing explosive pots and staying out of range from A) Magery and B) any melee. Also thinking about using 3-5 pets which I'm sure isn't the thing to do but my idea is have the pets hinder their movement and/or distract my opponent. Though I'm not opposed to the standard pets.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
Also I'm thinking of a PvP tamer build... This is like the hardest thing for me to figure out. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Again Magery isn't something I'd go for so keep that in mind. But first a question, how does inscription work? Can I cast spells with the scrolls? If so, reliably and to what effectiveness? Are they hard to make?

My build idea so far... although in a constant state of fluctuation lol.

- Animal Taming
- Animal Lore
- Veterinary
- Healing
- Anatomy
- Resist Spells
- Alchemy

I'm thinking alchemy now since its "better" than archery.. I'm thinking hit and run tactics throwing explosive pots and staying out of range from A) Magery and B) any melee. Also thinking about using 3-5 pets which I'm sure isn't the thing to do but my idea is have the pets hinder their movement and/or distract my opponent.

Of course you can cast from scrolls, and when you do so the spell you cast from the scroll is as easy as a spell cast from your book by two steps.

For instance, if you can cast circles 4th and down at 100%, than you can cast spells 6th and down at 100% from a scroll. I don't know anything about taming; I have the same stance on taming as you do on magery. :p

I know that pets are slower than a opponent on horseback though. In fact, I don't think anything can catch a player on horse back, not even another player since we all move at the same speed. It would be nice if high-dex builds received a 5%~10% speed increase, but the mages would pitch a fit since they all put 25 points into dex; I guess the thought of raising it never crossed their minds.