Controversial Much? Auto-Steal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Every once in a while, something comes along which completely imbalances the way things should work. If you introduce a plant from one country to another, it is likely that the plant will start taking over, destroying native species in its wake. Not all mind you, but there is a chance.

To all supposed thieves out there using auto-steal, you do realize that you already have a gigantic advantage of many other classes when using your class, you are aware that you can easily become 'wealthy' within the first week of actually being in the thieves guild? To be honest, it's using things like this that will actually weigh heavy upon legitimate thieves in the future, it's not about competing as its already neigh on impossible to compete, but its the simple fact that its blatantly cheating. I mean, who considers running past someone without actually opening their pack, pressing a button *simply put* and having a script automatically search for the item in the 'loot pool' and steal it instantly, fair? If you do, you need to get banned.

Let me add, before I get jumped on with the same old crap as "Bah, you are just sore cause I stole from you" or "Get some skills newb", I have enough skill to NOT cheat using auto-steal, I don't run around champion spawns proclaiming my deluded sense of grandeur cause I can script steal a fecking power scroll without doing the leg work, I stick to using my thief exactly how it is supposed to be used, the right way and no, I am not a hero, just a player that thinks that auto-steal is cheating..

Oh yeah, auto-steal runs through UOSteam if you are wondering where it comes from, yeah UOSteam that little program that bypasses most of the rules with its 'easy' and 'powerful' approach.

Flame away if you want, prove your guilt to the world..

Violence

Grandmaster
As someone who knows full well of how powerful it is (I myself do it), I have to agree with Darkarna.

Last edited by a moderator:

Messremb

Grandmaster
Seeing thieves admit to the OP nature of current tech combined with their stealing skill gives me hope for the thieves of UOF. Mad props to @Darkarna for bringing this up and any other thieves who support it.

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
When steam was made legal, I had a lot of people I know say they were going to make 5x Thief Mages and auto steal regs, etc in combat.. I was told that with steam you basically don't even need the snooping skill if you know what you are wanting to go after (garlic, pearl, bandages, powerscrolls, etc).. and that is when I decided to stop being as active.. Shit like this just makes the game no fun. There should be some amount of "skill" necessary to be able to do this type of shit. Same with all the other extreme advantages steam can give someone.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
A couple thoughts:

- I generally don't like the 'but but but you're not playing UO right!' sentiment that has come up a lot lately. UO is very generous to those who push the limits of game mechanics through innovation. However that generosity is usually removed once their innovations are exposed.

- There are definitely ways to protect yourself from the steam script. Easy ways that anyone can do.

- I personally don't use steam. I did steal PS at champs for a while. @Drake Roberts Explained how he was having so much success, and I copied him. It took a fair bit of work, deception and skill.

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
- There are definitely ways to protect yourself from the steam script. Easy ways that anyone can do.

No doubt.. I have always bitched about the way locked boxes work on this server.. Where you can have access and use regs and other resources within a locked box, and cut off complete access from thieves.. But that is another broken issue.. If it cuts off access to thieves, you should not be able to use the regs and other resources inside without first unlocking the box.

The issue is that steam has basically made the snooping skill, unnecessary... and has made stealing power scrolls the way I used to and tried to teach other thieves how to, a really easy thing to do... and that shouldn't be the case. And like I said in my previous post, people are using it to auto steal in combat as well.. Which is ridiculous.. I can only imagine what I'd be able to do if I were using steam on a 5x thief.. 6x actually since I wouldn't need snooping.

@Darkarna and I were just talking about all this at bank the other day. Glad it was brought up on here.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
A couple thoughts:

- I generally don't like the 'but but but you're not playing UO right!' sentiment that has come up a lot lately. UO is very generous to those who push the limits of game mechanics through innovation. However that generosity is usually removed once their innovations are exposed.

- I personally don't use steam. I did steal PS at champs for a while. @Drake Roberts Explained how he was having so much success, and I copied him. It took a fair bit of work, deception and skill.

Everyone knows that playing UO these days require a certain amount of assistance, but some things generally go far beyond the boundaries of fair-play. Using a system which specifically allows someone to bypass a number of different steps instantly, needs to be changed. Innovation is one way of looking at it, blatant cheating is another. As @Drake Roberts mentioned, this could/might be used to steal reagents in player vs player combat and imagine the consequences that could have. It needs to be changed.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Every once in a while, something comes along which completely imbalances the way things should work. If you introduce a plant from one country to another, it is likely that the plant will start taking over, destroying native species in its wake. Not all mind you, but there is a chance.

To all supposed thieves out there using auto-steal, you do realize that you already have a gigantic advantage of many other classes when using your class, you are aware that you can easily become 'wealthy' within the first week of actually being in the thieves guild? To be honest, it's using things like this that will actually weigh heavy upon legitimate thieves in the future, it's not about competing as its already neigh on impossible to compete, but its the simple fact that its blatantly cheating. I mean, who considers running past someone without actually opening their pack, pressing a button *simply put* and having a script automatically search for the item in the 'loot pool' and steal it instantly, fair? If you do, you need to get banned.

Let me add, before I get jumped on with the same old crap as "Bah, you are just sore cause I stole from you" or "Get some skills newb", I have enough skill to NOT cheat using auto-steal, I don't run around champion spawns proclaiming my deluded sense of grandeur cause I can script steal a fecking power scroll without doing the leg work, I stick to using my thief exactly how it is supposed to be used, the right way and no, I am not a hero, just a player that thinks that auto-steal is cheating..

Oh yeah, auto-steal runs through UOSteam if you are wondering where it comes from, yeah UOSteam that little program that bypasses most of the rules with its 'easy' and 'powerful' approach.

Good post man. I for one don't really care cause ive never used the Auto Steal. I believe technically it is two buttons too lol one to open and one to steal. I feel the thrill of doing it old school, snooping and getting lucky. Like the time I stole a statue of someone farming and he placed a robe over his bag and just the smallest little sliver of bag was poking out from the robe and I opened it up and jackpot was awesome fun.

With that being said I dont think this should be a big issue because there are many work around for getting anything stolen, its kind of a cheep trick, but guess what so is no stamina loss, auto chugging, auto everything. Everything in this game nowadays is auto. I miss the days of pulling all the icons of my spells and manually clicking and targeting lol. Anyway I am almost positive if you can do it in steam you can do it in razzor, might not be as easy, but I am sure there is a way to do it.

On another note you wont have to worry about that for long, at least Steam, because they abandoned it and its no longer supported , so the day it needs an update is the day everyone has to go to razzor

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Everyone knows that playing UO these days require a certain amount of assistance, but some things generally go far beyond the boundaries of fair-play. Using a system which specifically allows someone to bypass a number of different steps instantly, needs to be changed. Innovation is one way of looking at it, blatant cheating is another. As @Drake Roberts mentioned, this could/might be used to steal reagents in player vs player combat and imagine the consequences that could have. It needs to be changed.

I agree that something like this is ten times more worthy of attention from the staff than, say, changing it so that idocs are unable to be timed.

@Shane, @Adam, @Carl, and @Bryce just got done eating the faces and ripping the dicks off of the idoc crew, so maybe this will get the attention you think it deserves (I agree with you).

Bunnky

Grandmaster
I use an (multiple) auto-steal based on type scripts, and a 1 button snoop script for manual stealing that either 1.) Auto uses steal skill and waits for target after opening every single bag (even if i cant see it), or 2) Steals my last target. I bet mine aren't even that pro.. I can't imagine what others may have.

I support banning steam simply because of the scripting possibilities. I admit to using controversial (but not illegal) scripts, and ill never lie about the scripts I use. So far, I'm in the rule boundaries for UOSteam (certain functions are unable to be used on UOF, so others should too), AND the server. I plan to stay that way, and the moment Steam gets banned, Ill most likely smile a little, and boot up Razor. There's many, many functions/abilities in the Macro department of UOSteam that need to be limited. Its great, specially for crafting (and other stuff), but too great if you know what you're doing. There needs to be more limitations.

Well written Darkarna.

Kraden

Grandmaster
I use an (multiple) auto-steal based on type scripts, and a 1 button snoop script for manual stealing that either 1.) Auto uses steal skill and waits for target after opening every single bag (even if i cant see it), or 2) Steals my last target. I bet mine aren't even that pro.. I can't imagine what others may have.

I support banning steam simply because of the scripting possibilities. I admit to using controversial (but not illegal) scripts, and ill never lie about the scripts I use. So far, I'm in the rule boundaries for UOSteam (certain functions are unable to be used on UOF, so others should too), AND the server. I plan to stay that way, and the moment Steam gets banned, Ill most likely smile a little, and boot up Razor. There's many, many functions/abilities in the Macro department of UOSteam that need to be limited. Its great, specially for crafting (and other stuff), but too great if you know what you're doing. There needs to be more limitations.

Well written Darkarna.

All banning steam is going to do is make the select few people that know how to script have the advantage lol

Experience

Grandmaster
I agree that auto stealing is a problem and definitely needs a fix, BUT it still drives me insane to read these posts and everyone just goes along with the fact that steam is the only program capable of doing this feat. I used razor for 7 years, and when I made the switch to steam it wasn't because it's any more powerful than Razor or it can do much more....because I can do all of the things you guys cry about on Razor just the same...I switched to Steam because the macros are easier to write/share and it doesn't crash 2X per hour.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster

funny-gif-I-Like-You.gif

halygon

Grandmaster
I was told that with steam you basically don't even need the snooping skill if you know what you are wanting to go after (garlic, pearl, bandages, powerscrolls, etc).. and that is when I decided to stop being as active...
Actually that is all wrong. You must still snoop to steal any of that. The only exception is if it is a weapon that you target while it is in their hand (before you disarm em) -- that can be done is razor also though.

So you quite because of a myth you "heard"? Sorry to hear that.

You also need to keep in mind that uosteam has been in use on this shard for nearly a year now. This stealing thing isn't really an issue at all.

Darkarna is just a purist thief. Was on uoforever too. :)

Staff

Young Player Help
I agree that something like this is ten times more worthy of attention from the staff than, say, changing it so that idocs are unable to be timed.

@Shane, @Adam, @Carl, and @Bryce just got done eating the faces and ripping the dicks off of the idoc crew, so maybe this will get the attention you think it deserves (I agree with you).

Yeah man, cheaters gunna cheat (looks at IDOC crew). We'll figure something out :)

Oh look, I just "innovated" all over the rules and made 10 accounts with a VPN :p Now, I can use these 10 accounts to time IDOCs for my guild, thus benefiting them all. Don't try and pretend like you didn't know the person I am talking about had 10 accounts. If you are benefiting from their cheating, you are as big a cheater as they are in my eyes.

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
Actually that is all wrong. You must still snoop to steal any of that.

Actually, no.. You are wrong. You do not have to snoop to steal any of that when stealing by item type.

The only exception is if it is a weapon that you target while it is in their hand (before you disarm em) -- that can be done is razor also though.

Are you serious? You must be a complete dumb ass. I am aware that you can do that ^ in Razor. I know a little more about stealing than your dumb ass... the fact that you would even mention the above shows just how little you even understand about the conversation we are having.

So you quite because of a myth you "heard"? Sorry to hear that.

I didn't quit because of any myth. You obviously don't know shit and are just here to blindly defend uosteam. Take your no name, gimp ass out of this thread please.. No one asked for you to come here and derail. Go work on the wiki.

You also need to keep in mind that uosteam has been in use on this shard for nearly a year now.

It has actually been about half a year, but I have no idea what relevance that has.

This stealing thing isn't really an issue at all.

Darkarna is just a purist thief. Was on uoforever too. :)

Obviously it isn't.. All of these people in this thread who play thieves, don't know shit I suppose.

Who are you again? Oh yeah.. that's right.. just some no name gimp who likes to blindly defend his crutch.

Status
Not open for further replies.