change back some of these horrible changes

K A Z

Grandmaster
... a guild that has now been defeated to a RP server have asked for..

from the top of my head:
- remove the paralyze on leave house.. this was such a nice feature and made field pvp much better... could we please change this back to what we had previously?

- remove militia and bring back factions... guild and/or faction caps were never going to work and were only dreamt of by a certain group of wannabe elitist now RPers.. IMO field fighting would be much better if we just went back to what we previously had to then try and come up with a working and solid militia (or similar) system. As for now Miltia is dead, not properly functioning and (at least for me) ruins all the "nostalgia" that is left. Custom systems will never be as cool as what the original Ultima Online had to offer - it will always take away from what UO used to be.

- UNBAN some people! Bubrub, Puffy (not even sure if he was banned or just went MIA), Guido, etc. Most of them were unrightfully banned - let them back!

I'm sure that there are more things that could possibly be changed back to what they once (when PVP and gameplay was even more fun than it is right now) were! Feel free to add your thoughts and/or other things you think should be changed back!

Lord_Puffy

Grandmaster
... a guild that has now been defeated to a RP server have asked for..

from the top of my head:
- remove the paralyze on leave house.. this was such a nice feature and made field pvp much better... could we please change this back to what we had previously?

- remove militia and bring back factions... guild and/or faction caps were never going to work and were only dreamt of by a certain group of wannabe elitist now RPers.. IMO field fighting would be much better if we just went back to what we previously had to then try and come up with a working and solid militia (or similar) system. As for now Miltia is dead, not properly functioning and (at least for me) ruins all the "nostalgia" that is left. Custom systems will never be as cool as what the original Ultima Online had to offer - it will always take away from what UO used to be.

- UNBAN some people! Bubrub, Puffy (not even sure if he was banned or just went MIA), Guido, etc. Most of them were unrightfully banned - let them back!

I'm sure that there are more things that could possibly be changed back to what they once (when PVP and gameplay was even more fun than it is right now) were! Feel free to add your thoughts and/or other things you think should be changed back!

Not banned everything has been lifted

Brom

i wish they coul do that kaz , factions back would be so cool

and the unban thing too!

Lets try to have a shard with more pvp content/rewards

PLS!

halygon

Grandmaster
I agree with removing the leave house paralysis, but not with the militia -- I'd rather see that continued but fixed. I think too often we see something not work well and just say, eff it - go scrap that. Things can be made better and fixed in a way to bring new interesting mechanics for PvP - I'd vote for new fun things, then an old half-working-but-familar thing (factions).

KoldesLives

Journeyman
I don't see why we can't just go back to factions, but instead of the previous factions, keep it the way it is now where your guild is your faction. That would give us back the complete factions gameplay we used to have, but no one will be able to stack a specific faction and zerg everyone down because we're all in our own teams with our guilds. It's a blend of the old factions with the new militia. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

The problem and challenge is, staff has said several times and advertised that militia isn't complete and is just the beginning of what's there, so they openly acknowledge that it isn't perfect and needs work - yet, they won't advertise any ETA on improvements, or even talk about what's being improved. It's basically being ignored because "it's fine" type of thing. Very contradictory.

Peav

Grandmaster
Can we just imagine that the new RDA maps are Militia bases and portrait dangerous mobs as elitest pvpers ready to explo wand you down? Also meta pets are the new regs and relics are potions.

With this visualisation technique we won't see anyone mocking the current unfinished-finished-proceeding militia updates aka Kingdoms?

K A Z

Grandmaster
I agree with removing the leave house paralysis, but not with the militia -- I'd rather see that continued but fixed. I think too often we see something not work well and just say, eff it - go scrap that. Things can be made better and fixed in a way to bring new interesting mechanics for PvP - I'd vote for new fun things, then an old half-working-but-familar thing (factions).

How was factions half-working? I mean, I get it.. it was a rather old system and it definitely had its flaws but at least it was an original UO system and it attracted players?! Militia on the other hand is a unfinished custom system that nobody really gets and that is only used by some. I'm all for working on a new Militia system but that will take time.. and in the meantime factions would be much better!

I don't see why we can't just go back to factions, but instead of the previous factions, keep it the way it is now where your guild is your faction. That would give us back the complete factions gameplay we used to have, but no one will be able to stack a specific faction and zerg everyone down because we're all in our own teams with our guilds. It's a blend of the old factions with the new militia. I don't see why that wouldn't work.

The problem and challenge is, staff has said several times and advertised that militia isn't complete and is just the beginning of what's there, so they openly acknowledge that it isn't perfect and needs work - yet, they won't advertise any ETA on improvements, or even talk about what's being improved. It's basically being ignored because "it's fine" type of thing. Very contradictory.

Uhm, this makes no real sense to me! The beauty of factions was the inner-faction rivalries, the fact that there always were big factions that dominated the other 3 etc... UO is a mmorpg, you dont need nor want "balanced" numbers IMO.

thestand

Grandmaster
I think too often we see something not work well and just say, eff it - go scrap that. Things can be made better and fixed in a way to bring new interesting mechanics
I'm confused. Does this mean staff shouldn't of removed factions?

Skye Wolfbane

Governor of Trinsic
I'm not a pvper but I've been here awhile and no one was doing factions. Everyone was in one faction.
I like the militia system as a GM because my members can join if they choose but my entire guild, like crafters, aren't orange to people.
If you could keep that system in at least and then tweak it however, that would be cool.

Phrygian

Master
Sure, but OSI UO had the same issues, where one faction would occasionally be dominate. But eventually, a guild with some balls, who wanted some glory, would switch over and change the scene.

Something where, like the current militia system, you could stay in your guild, but "join" a faction that your guild has aligned with, would be rad. So, the guild GM could choose which faction their guild was aligned with, and members could voluntarily join that faction through a gump. That way, you still have a large net of allies and a common fighting ground/goal.

halygon

Grandmaster
How was factions half-working? I mean, I get it.. it was a rather old system and it definitely had its flaws but at least it was an original UO system and it attracted players?! Militia on the other hand is a unfinished custom system that nobody really gets and that is only used by some. I'm all for working on a new Militia system but that will take time.. and in the meantime factions would be much better!
While factions was old, the inherit issue with it is that it was designed for a much larger shard population -- all of its features are designed for that. When you put that into effect with a population 1/5th the size of what it was designed for, it makes many things really easy to game and make unfair. Think of how the election system worked, or the vendors, or the bases themselves -- all work great with huge populations, they do not work with smaller ones -- at least not well.

I'm confused. Does this mean staff shouldn't of removed factions?
No, I am referring to the militia system.

KoldesLives

Journeyman
Uhm, this makes no real sense to me! The beauty of factions was the inner-faction rivalries, the fact that there always were big factions that dominated the other 3 etc... UO is a mmorpg, you dont need nor want "balanced" numbers IMO.

I've seen you say this before - and I agree with you for the most part, but I feel like you're missing a little bit of nuance. It's a mmorpg, so ganks/zergs/imbalanced fights are destined to happen, and that's not the end of the world. I do not complain if I get ganked 3vs1 or 5vs1, and I don't expect someone to complain if I participate in a 5vs1 gank upon someone else. However, I think it's logical to attempt to put a structure in place that has a goal of balance. Even with that goal, zergs and ganks are inevitable, and that's fine. But, I think we can at least try to reduce the opportunity for those massive imbalances with one faction.

Also, speaking politically, I think that my idea of going back to the old faction system (but, with the teams being made up of guilds rather than factions) would be a good compromise for the staff and players. Rather than scrapping their entire idea of militia and going back to something they deemed broken, bringing back the mechanics of factions while insuring smaller teams through guilds would accomplish both what you are looking for (old system of rewards, incentives) and what they intended to accomplish (less power consolidation and domination by one massive group). Seems like a win-win to me. It may not be exactly what you and others want, but it seems like a great step in the right direction.

KoldesLives

Journeyman
While factions was old, the inherit issue with it is that it was designed for a much larger shard population -- all of its features are designed for that. When you put that into effect with a population 1/5th the size of what it was designed for, it makes many things really easy to game and make unfair. Think of how the election system worked, or the vendors, or the bases themselves -- all work great with huge populations, they do not work with smaller ones -- at least not well.

Sincere question here that I do not know the answer to. What is UOF's population like compared to a regular shard from the early 2000s? To me, it feels comparable. No matter what activity I try to do, it seems like there is an abundance of people. When it comes to double exp days, motm farming, champs, events or any other activity that draws people, it seems like there's too many people. Also, because there's only one shard, we have people from throughout the world playing, meaning when I'm sleeping or at work, other time zones are in prime time and dominating the game. Feels like the shard is busy at 8am EST, 8PM EST, 3AM EST, etc. Are we really that low of population, 1/5th of the size, compared to back in the day? Any hard numbers for a reference?

KoldesLives

Journeyman
I have brought up my concerns with the unfinished militia system a few times only to be told that it was finished. There is no way that this was the final image for militia so to be told it is done is a huge let down.

I have seen staff and heard Shane say that it's finished, but, it's not. Staff themselves have said it's not. Taken from their Facebook page from February 27th, 2018:

"Ultima Online Forever's Militia's has come a long ways and is far from finished yet. It is great to see it really booming lately with activity abroad. We have so much more to implement into this system still and it is inspiring and motivating that the bare bones system we have now is providing fun and entertainment for the many, many people using it already!"

Since they posted that, there have been no substantive changes to militia. So, they once acknowledged that it's "far from finished" and "we have so much more to implement" and that it's a "bare bones system" but now they say that it's fine. Very contradictory, and disappointing. I wish Shane and staff would follow through. It's such a massive part of the game that is incomplete. It's depressing.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Staff should never give fly-by-night players the time of day, plain and simple. Hope for recovery is all but lost, basically it's PvM/PK take it or leave it.

Legit PvP won't bring in fresh blood, I really doubt it anyway, but I suppose it would be a pretty cool thing for the ppl who already do play here.

halygon

Grandmaster
Sincere question here that I do not know the answer to. What is UOF's population like compared to a regular shard from the early 2000s? To me, it feels comparable. No matter what activity I try to do, it seems like there is an abundance of people. When it comes to double exp days, motm farming, champs, events or any other activity that draws people, it seems like there's too many people. Also, because there's only one shard, we have people from throughout the world playing, meaning when I'm sleeping or at work, other time zones are in prime time and dominating the game. Feels like the shard is busy at 8am EST, 8PM EST, 3AM EST, etc. Are we really that low of population, 1/5th of the size, compared to back in the day? Any hard numbers for a reference?
During the time factions came out (2000), the estimated subscribers for all shards was around 200k active players. Its important to realize that "active players" is different than freeshards that have quite a few accounts but a much smaller active player population. If you just take that total number and split it over the total number of shards at the time, you get about 15k active players per shard - large shards like Lake Superior or Great Lakes would probably have about double that.

I don't know the exact active player count here, although I would hazard to say it would be less than a 1/10 of a typical OSI shard during its hay-day. Given UOF has the biggest population right now of all freeshards, its a good chunk, but it is not OSI in 2000.

During that time, OSI also had other lands open such as T2A which spread out the population even more. Here on UOF, we tend to corral players to Brit or dungeons, so that players interact more and we do not have other lands open.

TLDR: Imagine UOF with about 10x more players and you would have the type of shard factions was designed for.