Buff Parrying Megathread

Kairus

Adept
As we all know, parrying is a useless skill.. i created this thread to suggest some buffs to it, everyone is free to suggest their opinions,i will start with my suggestions.

- make it so every 10 skill point in parrying gives 1 resisting spells when ur wearing a shield. so if ur gm parry and using shield, u will have 110 resisting spells.

-U gain bonus to ur damage when using shield. like a %2 damage bonus per 10 skill, effectively making it so u gain %20 bonus base damage if ur gm parry and using a shield.

-give shields a chance to reflect spells. every 10 point in parry can give %1 chance to reflect the spell, at gm u can reflect spells by %10 chance. Well luck is fun! if u think this is too overpowered , just make it so shield only blocks the spell and doesnt reflect it.

-add a special move to parrying at gm. like shield bash> does damage equal to a portion of ur armor value. like if u got 50 armor , ur hit deals 10 bonus damage.(this special move can be anything really, mine was just an example)

Parrying is ok against dexxers , but useless against mages. and server got so many mages, thats the main issue. So parrying must be buffed against mages mainly....

Umabel

Novice
+1

Higher resistance skill and reflect disagree but slightly higher spell damage reduction and possible block is good.

I believe there is a mechanic where the lower AR shields (ex. buckler) would give a higher melee block. That should be the same in regards to spells. The shield also takes massive damage from spell blocks.

Doobey Magee

Grandmaster
+1 I agree with everything except the +20% dmg when gm cause these vanq katanas hit hard and.fast now. And they got deadly poison on them.

Dewderonomy

Grandmaster
Parrying is fine. Without maces to break armor any faster than a halberd can, Parrying at 80 can still get the job done against a dexxer. And that's what it's there for, countering dexxers and archers.

If anything, this thread illustrates an issue with dealing with mages, not adjusting Parrying (but what else is new).

Neptune

Neophyte
NO. No. No...... No. Parry still saves your dexxing ass against other dexxers. Parry saves your ass from alot of mobs, and archers. If we BUFFED parry as much as you just suggested, then ppl would only have to equipt a shield, double click and chase. We already have plenty of that.

Neptune

Neophyte
Lets just go ahead and allow mages to wear full plate while we are at it. And make sure it reflects deadly poison back at the attacker.

Bonus

Novice
+1 Buff Parry!

Back in OSI's early days I remember you had a chance to parry spells. Why not just do that?

halygon

Grandmaster
+1 Buff Parry!

Back in OSI's early days I remember you had a chance to parry spells. Why not just do that?
I never remember this -- granted I did not do any alpha or beta play, but I did start in march of 98 which was only a couple months after go live in 97.

I was reading the ruleset for the new UOA shard and they took parry and gave it immunity to bolas. Granted we do not have bolas on UOF, but its still a very interesting turn for parry. Parry cannot possibly have bonuses against magic, that just makes it way over powered -- they can however provide more bonuses towards physical attacks.

I regress though -- Parry is fine as it is. For PVM, its very useful already. For PvP, its only useful against other dexxors. The main issue with Parry is not parry at all, it is the fact that this shard discriminates against two handed equipment as you cannot drink potions with both hands full. In addition to this, parry is not effective against magic, and most pvpers are mages. And and -- AR rating is ineffective on this shard -- the increased AR buff from parry does not truly increase protection against other PvPers -- only the chance to parry.

Kraden

Grandmaster
Buff parry. Isnt parry gmed like 50 percent chance to null melee damage lol. Ive seen parry tank some crazy crap now u want it to add spell resist? Yeah havin a shield should give bonus Hp too and be balanced so you can chug pots too

Bonus

Novice
+1 Buff Parry.
Good points Haly. I do remember parrying magical attacks. But it wasn't long until they took that trait out of the skill.

Why is this Kraden guy so salty? Someone give him a hug and some lotion.

Kraden

Grandmaster
+1 Buff Parry.
Good points Haly. I do remember parrying magical attacks. But it wasn't long until they took that trait out of the skill.

Why is this Kraden guy so salty? Someone give him a hug and some lotion.
Salty lol im not salty. A hug would be nice. Lotion could get pretty intense lol. Just saying parry parries. What else is it supposed to do. Gm party is 50 % chance to null all melee damage. I think thats pretty epic. Not sure if it is 50 but why add all this to one skill. Think theres more thigs to work out than makig parry a god skill lol

Bonus

Novice
:)
What do you think about giving it a bash/stun ability? Or maybe the ability to attach spikes for a damage shield?
Too OP already?

Kraden

Grandmaster
Reflect some spell damage might be ok. Getting to 110 resist is just nooo. 20 percent damage bonus is outrageous. Thats what tactics is. And the fact that it is uselss against mages is good. All skills should hve pros and cons making you effective and not so effective against other templates. If you dont like mages there is dexxer builds to fight mages make one dont change other skills. You change one u have to rebalance everything else and the never ending cycle opens up. O dexxera are too over powered. Hence thats all we see. Add even more spell damage and make mages med through armor O man mages are super powered make it so dexxers can be immune to spells and archers get moving shots. And it goes on and on and BOOM. trammel and osi all over again lol

Kraden

Grandmaster
:)
What do you think about giving it a bash/stun ability? Or maybe the ability to attach spikes for a damage shield?
Too OP already?

Nah actuAlly i kind of like that ability. Bash/stun bash maybe. Or make it so parry and other skills do different things like wresltle and anat or arms lore. Parry plus med does sone spell reflect chance. Parry plus scribe adds shield bash or some thing idk. Interesting to think about tho

halygon

Grandmaster
I'm just waiting for someone to suggest making it so you can cast with a shield and bring back the parry Mage.

Any bad suggestion maker takers?