Bring back Factions (Consensual PvP)

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
Please bring adams faction system back. I play uo just for factions just like some people play uo just to craft or pvm. Factions have been an integral part of UO for a long time. Militias are bad, not much content, there is 0 consensual pvp here on uof atm, capture points don't work, nothing to fight over, etc. More consensual nocut/bucs pvp=less dungeon regs killing pvmers. Not sure why you would revert adams awesome faction update(https://www.uoforum.com/threads/february-27th-2015-faction-updates.54527/) (-minus the pvm additions that eppy turned into percs) Blair's misc pvp improvements, and the addition of wands. Adams faction updates and Blair's pvp improvements are what kept me playing and donating here.

• The wand update is very clunky and should be reverted
  • Make wands factions only, imo everyone should be able to use them or just not allow reds to use them as a punishment. Blues could gheal themselves vs reds and in tricky pvm situations.
  • with the recent changes barbed kits, high-end runic hammers, and the wand market have crashed
  • its impossible to solo and very hard to fight outnumbered with the wand changes. Hurting solo and small group players
  • just like end game pvm content(rdas) there should be endgame content for pvp (factions).
  • increase bandage timer I'm getting 8 second bandaids with 90 dex + aglity pot. add an increased bandage time and make it factions only if pvmers can't accept this change(which i find unreal pvm is so easy here with talisman/slayer ar/pots. The most recent bandage change is not the way to go, getting a full heal every time with no slips is very strong.
  • Fix Stun Rate and time. (Saw they did this today, thank you @Staff)
  • just no, https://www.uoforum.com/threads/wands-firehorns-adjustments-thread.99348/
  • add back in stun tamers(factions only) for lols

A good pvp community is essential to any uo server. They play a huge role in the economy they buy endless stock, dono, dono items, wearbles etc. PvPers UO players too mayne

@eppy @Shane @Blair @Swayze

Last edited:

WhiteSheDevil

Apprentice
I would think you all would listen to guys who pvp/pk non stop on these matters. Also, someone who has donated thousands of dollars irl. Maybe your pvmers would be safer if factions was around. But who knows. I’m just a no body who has donated thousands of dollars to a dead game.

Daxius

Neophyte
Please bring back factions, the militia system that came out was not finished and I feel has been released to early. There are not many incentives for the bounty points, so nobody really uses it and it seems from what I have seen at least, that a lot of pvpers have logged back onto there reds. I feel a lot of the content on this server has been catered to the PVEer leaving a lopsided balance between PVP and PVE. Lets put some work into PVP and make PVP great again!!!

girana

Grandmaster
all i read is "plz force pvmers back into pvp system so we can slaugther them with risking playing a red"

eppy did not saved the old code its all gone.

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
all i read is "plz force pvmers back into pvp system so we can slaugther them with risking playing a red"

eppy did not saved the old code its all gone.

why does it force tamers back into factions? Keep militias around and blues really need a pet rez system. imo the faction pet rez was cool great(i dont have a char with vet so it was really helpful), no reason why we can't have one for blues and reds as well though. Just have a pet rezzer at all blue stables + bucs have it cost 10-20k

Swayze

Grandmaster
This is just the beginning of Militias. We wanted to release the basic version of it to get people used to it. It will always be an evolving thing throughout time.

Give it time and most things from factions that were good will be inplemented into militias.

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
This is just the beginning of Militias. We wanted to release the basic version of it to get people used to it. It will always be an evolving thing throughout time.

Give it time and most things from factions that were good will be inplemented into militias.

Why drop a system and remove pvp mechanics that worked perfectly fine for an unfinished prodcuct and bad pvp mechanics?

That doesn't make sense. As a pvper it's very frustrating spending a majority of my gold towards faction items (hammers, runic kits, wands, committing char slots to make faction chars, etc) and having it removed for a system that doesn't work.

why not have both militias and factions?

imho I feel staff has very little insight and knowledge on consensual pvp atm, maybe some additional coding help or hitting up blair via Skype/Discord for help would go a long way. With adam gone and blair busy irl pvp is in a bad place. You guys are great, supportive, responsive, played here/donated since 2015, pvm content best i've seen in uo. Not knocking uof with this post/respons and I mean 0 offense to staff I'm just being an honest player.

Swayze

Grandmaster
Honesty is fine but we also did not feel factions was accomplishing what it was meant to accomplish.

Again, I wouldn't throw your hands up and say this system is broken. It is a work in progress and the base of it was implemented to get everyone's feet wet. It is an ongoing system that will continue to evolve so please have faith in the staff. Suggesting the system doesn't work doesn't make a lot of sense to me however.

The core of factions is orange vs orange, which is exactly what militias is. The idea of sigils was great but it never actually turned out the way it was intended.

What are some things that were in factions that you want implemented in militias?

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
Who is the original poster?
That would help.

Also there is SO MUCH MORE to come with Militia's.
We are not done at all on this system, it just takes careful planning and implementation to make sure this shit works for everyone for the long run. Not just 3 months, or 6 months or a year, for years to come. This needs to be handled and implemented correctly.

You need to be patient.

Last edited:

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
If you are a pvper why wouldn't you support the militia system and want it to succeed?

2ee33915588f9d70768524fa61c22cb6.png

I've donated and been playing here since 2015, its safe to say I support UO.Read anything I post in uofdiscord or pm me and I can pm you convos I've had with staff with questions, concerns, and suggestions about militias. I want to succeed militias to succeed it just needs a lot of work atm no reason we can't have both in plac. A lot of pvpers spent all their gold on faction gear; runic kits, hammers, regs, wands, pots, etc. Runic kits, hammers, wands, firehorns worthless atm the recent update to wands/firehorns has made pvp feel very clunky. I just militias came out a tad too soon and i'm doing my best to move forward and I will make another post with militia suggestions. A post from staff explaining militias/future plans for it would be great. I haven't played in the last 6 months and I'm very confused about the whole system atm. I play uo for consensual faction pvp like many pvpers and it was booming with 5+ groups out -eqms.

PS nice work @ staff on the stun change and the reg point to fight over in britt

Last edited:

Abiding Dude

Journeyman
That would help.

We are not done at all on this system, it just takes careful planning and implementation to make sure this shit works for everyone for the long run. Not just 3 months, or 6 months or a year, for years to come. This needs to be handled and implemented correctly.

You need to be patient.

goji

I pvped with you vs eqms with blair and swayze on SL awile ago.

I'll continue to be patient, thank you for unlocking this thread btw

AreYouKidden

Grandmaster
@Abiding Dude I'd love to know what your thoughts on this Militias System that I mocked up: https://www.uoforum.com/threads/the-potential-of-militias.99428/

I, like many, prefer consensual PvP over the blue/red PvP/griefing - and have been thoroughly disappointed with the current Militia system, I realize it was a shell, a starting point, but it's been two months, and we've seen no meaningful updates. At this point there is little to no consensual PvP, people have got discouraged, bored, moved on. What is the end game for a PvP'r? blue/red really doesn't cut it, and while I don't think factions was really working how players wanted, Militias is a step below even that right now.

I know we're told to have faith, and I've tried, I really have, but you've rolled out a Militia system that doesn't even really scratch the surface, you've rolled out numerous broken elements, and there is no real plan in place to fix this, or even a vision we can latch on to for hope.. We're told just to have faith.

Even fixing these elements won't really change how Militias is perceived today, the reality is they are just symptoms of a system that does not work. But at least it'd be a start in the right direction:

Broken elements:
  • without having an active/inactive roster list for Militias, players build up points, and have to leave the Militia so others can join the fight, losing all their points. the cap on a team was a great idea, moving it to 30 to fix the problem I just mentioned, was a horrible solution, make it so players can set themselves inactive with a 15 minute timer, or it sets them inactive when they log out, and don't allow players to flag active, if there are already 10 in the Militia - and allow the guild leader/emissaries to set someone inactive.
  • pet rez perk - the math is horrendous, I can appreciate you want to penalize larger guilds - for Trin to use this perk, it costs us 170 bounty points, we can capture 300 points on the stone, every 30 minutes, and that'd be if it was uncontested (which it often is)... So we get less than 1 pet rez for the entire guild every 30 min. This is abusive, not an incentive, especially considering most people have 3 accounts in their guild. It should be an upfront fee, so the guild leader can control the bounty points they are spending, based on teh size of the guild, paying 3k bounty points up front, for 3 days of the pet rez perk would be preferable, to a tamer rezing their pet, and massive amounts of points just disappearing.
  • reagents stone - recently rolled out a stone to allow one guild to capture, and gain an advantage in the economy, and crafting.. This isn't providing incentives, it's trying to force crafters, pvm'rs into our consensual PvP system... Build your incentive by capturing a resource stone to lower the costs in a town (or all towns) for all players, and have a % of gold spent, go back to the guild holding the point as bounty points. This allows all to benefit from the lower costs, not creating an imbalance in the economy, and gives a decent incentive to a guild to hold the stone.

And please, for the love of all that is right in UO... put a capture point somewhere other than Brit...

Last edited:

Epic Flail-

Apprentice

Then why remove factions at all?

I am confused. If Malitia is basically going to be the same thing as factions why remove factions at all? Why try and fix a system that is not broken? Why put in Militia when it is not ready? You cannot get used to something that is not working properly. That obviously is just my opinion. I'm a PvMer mostly at least now because Factions doesn't exist. Militia has ZERO reason to join other than wands. I left hy-brid because wands made pvp and all aspects of the game trash. There is ZERO incentive to play Militia, has been this way, ummm 3 months now?

I would have continued to donate 250 per paycheck every 2 weeks to enjoy factions, I kind of feel like staff and developers did not take the population as a whole into the decision of all these ridiculous changes.

When you take away people's outlet to blow off steam, or a reason to do so, they find other ways, unhealthy ways to do it (griefing.) I don't mean the harmless, silly griefing either. I mean to the extent that killed Hy-brid, Defiance, Zenvera, Divinity and many many other servers. I watched all of them die when owners/staff started trying to hard to cater to the cry baby tamers and farming kids who made a stink over pvp getting in the way of their gold hoarding.

Farming and taming is a amazing part of the community, but PvP spreads the wealth out. A lot of people right now are just hoarding gold, rares, clothing, BoD items anything worth money, makes everything skyrocket in value due to less supply and more demand, Starting players have little to no chance with this happening to be successful here, which will not bring in NEW people starting here on UO Forever, and along with the boring, no incentive Militia, the server may take a large population hit.

I guess these are just my thoughts, and observations from other servers. Wanted to voice what was on my mind. Would really like to see factions put back in.

I love this server, I've been here since 2012, I don't love ALL the people on it lol... but I do enjoy this server a great deal, when many of these changes were put in, and I think i speak for MANY of the people here, it kind of killed the love of the game and server for us. Maybe I am wrong too. I would accept that as well. :p

(P.S. I like how in this whole post whenever I say Hy-Brid, it gets changed to UOforever lol.)

@eppy @Shane @JoeB @Swayze @bobwhite

Last edited:

Epic Flail-

Apprentice
If you are a pvper why wouldn't you support the militia system and want it to succeed?

It's not that we DON'T want it to succeed, I feel, as I had read many other feel, it was pushed in way too fast with too many broken, or un-enticing aspects of it in place. I think and this is just my opinion. If you are going to do something, do it right or don't do it it at all.

Honesty is fine but we also did not feel factions was accomplishing what it was meant to accomplish.

Again, I wouldn't throw your hands up and say this system is broken. It is a work in progress and the base of it was implemented to get everyone's feet wet. It is an ongoing system that will continue to evolve so please have faith in the staff. Suggesting the system doesn't work doesn't make a lot of sense to me however.

The core of factions is orange vs orange, which is exactly what militias is. The idea of sigils was great but it never actually turned out the way it was intended.

What are some things that were in factions that you want implemented in militias?

I'd say put factions back in, take out militia, take away the sigil stealing portion, wands, make eplo pot cool down timers 3 seconds longer.
Tired and bored with the constant explo pot spamming, there's literally no cool down on a 4 second explo pot countdown, 10 seconds between heal pots, but 4 seconds between each explo pot doing 20+ dmg each landed pot, that's broken, I like it when I'm on the winning end but I still think it is broken.

Implement a "King of the Hill" type event in a designated area of each town, weekly for control of towns. Each Town is a different day of the week, You hold the town One week then the KotH event resets and the town is up for grabs again.
I'd say, having to "earn" certain amount of points, just standing there would take "X" amount of time to capture, but would send out a message to EVERYONE that someone is attempting to conquer the hill in *blah blah* town. OR, have a control point in a different part of the town you must corrupt FIRST before you can challenge the KotH in each town. I feel this would force teamwork, coordination, and maybe not a good idea for all. Just a thought I randomly had.

Getting kills (and not res kills) in the designated area speeds up the process.
Dying reverts you by "X" amount.
Keep silver in place and the use of it the same for the most part.
Do not allow anything over Gold Runic in Factions.
(They hit hard enough with the other melee implementations and the mage armor being worthless.)

@Shane @eppy

If you give me a week, i could write a script or just draw up a decent outline for you guys to run with. I wouldn't ask anything in return. I can test it on my own server, to see how it works, do bug fixes, tweak timers etc. Send it to you guys and see what you think.

Lexington

Grandmaster

Any future for Order / Chaos with the new Militia system?

Epic Flail-

Apprentice
That would help.

You need to be patient.

@Shane

Do you think pvp will survive a year of waiting for change (for the good) and with everyone going other places to find more enticing and rewarding pvp? I know you guys have lives, families, jobs and stuff. I do appreciate the work you and your staff has done, but it seems lacking and almost abandoned. Trust me when i say we are trying to be patient, at least I know I am. It is just hard, grinding and farming every day gets boring, pvp is many peoples outlet to mix up the mundane farming schedule. If there is no incentives to pvp, there is no incentives to pk. The farmers start hoarding everything, prices skyrocket because select few have cornered the market and forced people away. The Supply is low or nil, the demand is high. I don't see new or young players joining the server and if they do, I don't see them staying more than 6 months. (<--- Just opinion not observation.) The way things are set up now, it seems farming and tamers have been catered too while pvp has been once again put on the back burner.

On another server I played Defiance, a version of meta pets and steeds were implemented, a version of talisman was also implemented, all catered to farming. Several other "farming" or Pixel crack type things all set in place that truly destroyed pvp. Factions took a huge hit when they changed how city status and silver was used a long with the point system, I feel the point system is what drives factions. Within a year the server was shut down, all the while staff, and owner a like were saying "Be patient, more to come, be patient, more to come."

After a year of waiting, owners/staff only doing what they wanted and not taking their community and their valid concerns seriously, people got tired of waiting or not being recognized as valuable and left. Population went from a solid 500+ on to 200 or less in 5 months, 7 months later, ghost town except bank sitters, 9 days after their 7th year anniversary, the server was shut down. It was reset, restarted. Never really bounced back. I would hate for UO Forever to have that happen.

I think it is important to listen to your community and not just dismiss them. It is what makes the server strong. I do however understand it is hard to filter between the cry babies and the ones who are really wanting or trying to help, who are trying to be patient, Yes as of right now I am EXTREMELY disappointed with Militia's, there's no reason to be in it. I feel it was forced upon us without proper planning (my opinion, plz prove me wrong) No incentive other than wands, what do we need wands for when you can throw explo pots every 4 seconds? Spam pots, that's pvp here. Just like Hy-brid, Spam wands that's pvp there. There's no REAL balance

Things that have ALWAYS been core, 11 second bandage timers w/ 90 dex 9 second with 100 dex (heals less hp the more dmg you take up to 50% less, but doesnt slow it down),
8 second explo pot cool down timers,
10 second wand usage,

These I remember from TRUE UO:R servers and OSI to have been core and key to success of pvp. That and a constant stream of new content. Not all of it good though haha! BLEH AoS was gross and clunky.

I know this is long winded and will most likely be passed over or disregarded and I get it, staff and owners are busy. I do however hope this might strike a chord and help move things a long at a faster rate. :)

Just had to voice my opinion. Would love to work with staff and you to help with ideas. I have several that may or may not be worth while.

EvilAcid

Grandmaster
I agree about Changing the timers to core uo settings.
Hopefully the factions/militia thing gets figured out in a way that keeps the majority happy.