BODs - Don't Seem Worth The Ingots...

illusion

Master
I'm in this predicament, are BODs really worth it?

I recently GM'd my blacksmith and have begun to do some BODs. I don't see the point in it really... I guess if you get a Verite runic hammer, even so, would you use an Exceptional/Vanq, in fear of losing it? All of the lesser rewards seem pointless, as well as the Ancient Hammer? When would you need to utilize the +15 BS from an Ancient Hammer?

Even with tailoring, the only reason I do the tailoring BODs is to keep trying for bless deeds, sandals and 5th tier cloth... But even those are simply just pixel crack? It just makes more sense to me to set up a vendor and sell GM weapons + armor to rake in some gold, rather than use the materials for BODs.

Someone please convince me otherwise, if the materials are better used for BODs rather than a vendor. Am I missing something?

Last edited by a moderator:
Bods aren't really worth it,. never have been.

Sure you could make crazy armor / weapons,. but since there's no insurance - well, it's a risk you have to be willing to take.

Tailoring is still the better choice.

yourdaddy

Grandmaster
Actually the worst moneymaker are the weapons and armor. BODs are the only way to get some gold out of crafting skills.

BS BODs are only good for PS and mining gloves, which sell, otherwise... maybe with high end runics but we haven't seen any yet.

As for tailoring, there is a lot of money to make with BODs, but since expansion, there seems to be a TON of tailors so there is no rarity. Prices dropped.

illusion

Master
It just doesn't seem worth it after the cost of colored ingots and once you have all your power scrolls.

Abraxas

Neophyte
Agreed,... but I just keep going. I ignore the iron bod's I get and collect anything above Copper. Seems like there are some neat treats when you're 120 Smithy.
This puny reward problem is something that needs to be changed. I mean, I put all this time into mining and filling a BOD to get a shovel? A shovel... When I saw how weak the rewards are I just wanted to slam my head against the wall.
At least I can wear the cloth I get from the Tailor BOD's and they're brightly colored. The shovel is grey. At least give me a neon pink shovel. Then I would actually fill the BOD's just for the fun of having a brightly colored shovel with 180 charges. Oh yes, why only 180? That's only a bit more then two pick axes. Supercharge it to 500. That would be more fare. Yes?

Bromista

Grandmaster
I have profited just as much from BS BODs as I have from tailoring and that's including seven months of pretty shitty deeds before the fix.

I think the problem is you can't work a smith up for next to nothing and in short order like you can a tailor so no one has multiple smiths in the way that many people have multiple tailors. Less smiths, less deeds, less profit, more complaint.

BS rewards are out there. I have several runics, several more deeds for high-end runics now thanks to expansion, several ASH's, have gotten 750k worth of powerscrolls (almost have all the smalls for a 120 also, that'll push me over the top for sure), several several pair of +3 and +5 mining gloves, a shadow anvil that I sold for almost a mil. I turn in weapon deeds for gargoyle picks and prospectors tools because they are much more useful than people give them credit for.

BS is doing just fine.

Abraxas

Neophyte
I have profited just as much from BS BODs as I have from tailoring and that's including seven months of pretty shitty deeds before the fix.

I think the problem is you can't work a smith up for next to nothing and in short order like you can a tailor so no one has multiple smiths in the way that many people have multiple tailors. Less smiths, less deeds, less profit, more complaint.

BS rewards are out there. I have several runics, several more deeds for high-end runics now thanks to expansion, several ASH's, have gotten 750k worth of powerscrolls (almost have all the smalls for a 120 also, that'll push me over the top for sure), several several pair of +3 and +5 mining gloves, a shadow anvil that I sold for almost a mil. I turn in weapon deeds for gargoyle picks and prospectors tools because they are much more useful than people give them credit for.

BS is doing just fine.
You give me hope

Bromista

Grandmaster
:)

All them goodies came pre-expansion except for two things:

Deed for an agapite hammer that I'll probably never fill.
115 BS from a 20X valorite shield deed.

I can only imagine things will get better across the board from here out...and if things go well enough maybe even result in a slight devaluation of smithy BOD's and rewards because of it! That would be a great indicator than BS is on par with tailoring.

illusion

Master
Do you mine for your colored ore or buy it from other players? I'm looking at this from a gold profit / time ratio. To mine the colored ingots to fill a large bod would take well over a few evenings of solid mining (which is a pretty mundane task).

Asmatu

Master
Arrg, damn! What is up with these BODs?? I just completed a 20 exceptional dull copper SBOD, cost over 200 dull copper, worth over 2k alone.

Received 500 gold, and a gargoyl pickaxe.. wonder what one is worth anyhow...

According to this:

http://www.towerofroses.de/bods-srw.htm

That shouldn't even be a possible reward... Should be power of fortification or a +5 mining gloves.. /:

Messremb

Grandmaster
Arrg, damn! What is up with these BODs?? I just completed a 20 exceptional dull copper SBOD, cost over 200 dull copper, worth over 2k alone.

Received 500 gold, and a gargoyl pickaxe.. wonder what one is worth anyhow...

According to this:

http://www.towerofroses.de/bods-srw.htm

That shouldn't even be a possible reward... Should be power of fortification or a +5 mining gloves.. /:

Was probably a normal not exceptional BOD

Bromista

Grandmaster
I went on a mining kick and got my supply up months ago and haven't needed much other than shadow and dull copper lately...which I can get out of basically every other vein as half of all veins seem to be iron.

However I will guess that 800 gold ingots would take probably a half hour to gather using a full runebook of good high-volume producing veins (who would mark any other kind?!?) of gold, copper, or bronze. That's not counting the time it takes for the veins to respawn.

With those 800 ingots you could fill smalls that give junk rewards for the ingots consumed or you could wait to fill larges that give you high-value rewards. I have tons of BOD's that I will just never fill...shit like 20X bronze and gold shields and helmets that aren't part of large deeds and therefore not worth filling.

The key is to check tower of roses and make sure your deed is worth filling first. If you do that then your gold to ingot/time ratio will be much improved.

Bromista

Grandmaster
20X DC deeds give the same rewards that 10/15X shadow deeds do, powder of fortifying with a 10% shot at +5 gloves. You must have turned in a 10/15 dull copper deed which is basically the same thing as turning in iron weapon deeds.

Check your deeds before filling. You'll only fill some of these deeds one time before you learn your lesson!

Riverwind

Novice
They should turn off the 6 hour timer, as it would actually help the community.

1. More players mining = more interaction/competition at mining spots and Brit Crafting area.
2. People selling more ingots(iron and colored) and/or granite on their vendors as they be in more demand.
3. Players will need to gather more gold to buy ingots if they don't want to mine them.