Armors tweaks

Hello. I'd wanna suggest armors tweaks what I've been thinking of.

Suggestion:
Remove all the AR bonuses from the colored armors and give durability bonuses instead.

Why:
It's really difficult to adjust the damage reduction formula of AR; barbed leather armor's AR bonus is too high

Merits from the change:
1. Mage's AR could be limited properly.
2. Dexxer would be able to get higher AR clearly, which had to.
3. The damage reduction formula of AR would be much more balanced
4. People can select their favorite color to decorate their chars, instead of choosing valorite/barbed things everytime

Any advice and idea/opinion would really appreciated.

Mango

Grandmaster
I like the idea, however I feel this would give no value to color ores as durability can be increased with one of the simplest BOD rewards in UO

I like the idea, however I feel this would give no value to color ores as durability can be increased with one of the simplest BOD rewards in UO

Yes, I agree with your concern. The runnic hammers should allow making runic armors with the above change. The higher tier colored ores then would be able to become more attractive then lower tier colored ores since the higher tier colored ore only can obtain higher magical property.

Staff

Young Player Help
Hello. I'd wanna suggest armors tweaks what I've been thinking of.

Suggestion:
Remove all the AR bonuses from the colored armors and give durability bonuses instead.

Why:
It's really difficult to adjust the damage reduction formula of AR; barbed leather armor's AR bonus is too high

Merits from the change:
1. Mage's AR could be limited properly.
2. Dexxer would be able to get higher AR clearly, which had to.
3. The damage reduction formula of AR would be much more balanced
4. People can select their favorite color to decorate their chars, instead of choosing valorite/barbed things everytime

Any advice and idea/opinion would really appreciated.

Resource bonus to AR is era accurate. There is no way I would be removing it. I am open to possibly nerfing leather armor though. Full barbed is equivalent to store bought platemail (~40AR).

halygon

Grandmaster
Resource bonus to AR is era accurate. There is no way I would be removing it. I am open to possibly nerfing leather armor though. Full barbed is equivalent to store bought platemail (~40AR).
+1 to nerfing leather armors -- they are too stout right now and there is no rarity to barbed leather armor -- it's rare to wear less than barbed. Soo the base leather ar plus magic bonuses like invul make leather super powerful.

+1 to nerfing leather armors -- they are too stout right now and there is no rarity to barbed leather armor -- it's rare to wear less than barbed. Soo the base leather ar plus magic bonuses like invul make leather super powerful.

Agreed. Even though the dex penalties of every armors except plate (I'm not sure about dragon scale armors) have been removed, the most useful and powerful armor set is still leather armor set I think, since the other armors have penalty while meditating and regenerating mana, and having higher costs to buy.

halygon

Grandmaster
Agreed. Even though the dex penalties of every armors except plate (I'm not sure about dragon scale armors) have been removed, the most useful and powerful armor set is still leather armor set I think, since the other armors have penalty while meditating and regenerating mana, and having higher costs to buy.
Nah bone armor is the best.. It's just that medable armor should make the wearer squishy because well, their profession IS squishy physically. Otherwise and as it is now, a Mage can do it all because the leather armor is powerful.

K A Z

Grandmaster
someone fcked with the barbed AR lately. UOF used to have it nerfed down to I think it was 27-29 AR at full + cap, but now its back to the era accurate 36.

Bring back dex penalties. Slightly buff ar values of plate and bone to coincide with the dex penalties. Basically, there needs to be a tradeoff for higher ar values. You shouldn't be able to achieve 40+ ar values without suffering some sort of penalty or paying a higher price for magic armor.

Bring back dex penalties. Slightly buff ar values of plate and bone to coincide with the dex penalties. Basically, there needs to be a tradeoff for higher ar values. You shouldn't be able to achieve 40+ ar values without suffering some sort of penalty or paying a higher price for magic armor.
In my opinion, honestly, all the dex penalties have to be removed from all the armors. Everybody would prefer to wear leather armors with higher tier magical property such as Invulnerability, rather than wearing chain/bone/plate mail, if the dex penalties return back The higher tier armors already have several penalties imo; much more resource consumption to create those, higher cost due to the large consumption, higher crafting skill requirements to create those, etc. I'm not sure in case of bone armor, but the other armors do not allow the wearer to meditate (and as far as I know even the passive mana regeneration rate by the meditation is decreased).

Everybody still doesn't wear plate mails at all due to the dex penalties, you know...

In my opinion, honestly, all the dex penalties have to be removed from all the armors. Everybody would prefer to wear leather armors with higher tier magical property such as Invulnerability, rather than wearing chain/bone/plate mail, if the dex penalties return back The higher tier armors already have several penalties imo; much more resource consumption to create those, higher cost due to the large consumption, higher crafting skill requirements to create those, etc. I'm not sure in case of bone armor, but the other armors do not allow the wearer to meditate (and as far as I know even the passive mana regeneration rate by the meditation is decreased).

Everybody still doesn't wear plate mails at all due to the dex penalties, you know...
All those crafting "penalties" mean jack shit to the person wearing the armor. Not everyone who wears armor relies on magic and mana regen. And the dex loss is not the reason plate mail isn't worn. It's because there is armor that gives high enough ar without the dex loss. If ar values were increased on armor with dex loss and decreased on other armors, that would solve the problem.

Psymon

Master

It does indeed need nerf. I play only mage's atm, just built a dexxer and I think leather is OP