Anti PK Zerg Mechanics Re-posted**

wreckognize

Grandmaster
1) Noto changes: To make server less zerg friendly, anyone can recall or gate, even with murder counts, if attacked by more than one non-party/guild member.

This is mostly for the benefit of solo PKs, and blues who get counted killing annoying Blue PKs Now they can do more than simply stand there and die when they get zerged. Maybe they have a chance to recall or run through a gate, if they can pull it off.

2) Damage reduction: To make server less PK zerg friendly, damage to players is reduced any time you are within 10 tiles of a guild or party member, by 5% per member in that range.

This is where it gets interesting. Now the game becomes more of a challenge to stay spread out, promoting pincer style attacks and more well thought out PvP than just running into a situation guns blazing, so to speak.

@Blair I think you'll agree, these are good changes that are worth a shot.

EDIT: Damage mitigation begins when you have 3 players in the same guild or party within 10 tiles, at 5% damage reduction for each member. This is to avoid changes to the current 2v2 mechanics.

EDIT 2: Dungeons only. (To help thwart PK zergs)

EDIT 3: To clarify, the Noto change I am proposing is that people with murder counts would be able to recall when attacked by multiple enemies ONLY if they were not already aggressor flagged.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Despite the removal of the previous thread, likely due to IRL insults from @Bromista , I have re-posted this suggestion to clarify that the changes to the new Notoriety mechanics I am proposing will not effect players who are already flagged as aggressors, only players who are now unable to recall due to having one or more murder count.

MrTodd

Adept
About the notoriety changes, they where implemented to curb down the blue PKing, and reverting them will only increase the amount of blue pkers. And will increase the number of pkers in events like RDAs and champ spawns.

Not wanting to flame, but money is known for doing that and the proposed changes by you increase the blue PKing since it will enable them to escape easly.

Sent from my mobile

SomeGuy

Adept
Im a solo pk and id rather shit stay the way it is.. you shouldnt punish people for having friends they want to pvp with. and really, you shouldnt be getting killed by zergs.. anytime im 3v1 or more i just hual ass unless i get the insta kill on one of them

Bromista

Grandmaster
Im a solo pk and id rather shit stay the way it is.. you shouldnt punish people for having friends they want to pvp with. and really, you shouldnt be getting killed by zergs.. anytime im 3v1 or more i just hual ass unless i get the insta kill on one of them
Are you happy bunny?

Only PK I have seen running solo lately.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
I don't think he will, nor will anyone else who responded in the last thread. I guess if you keep reposting this thread people will eventually get bored of criticising it.

After re-reading the original thread it's certain that he thought I meant that aggressors should be able to recall if they are outnumbered, or if the situation goes sideways. It's my fault for not wording it correctly initially.

As for damage mitigation, he said that he was dabbling in it, but when prompted with the question ''why shouldn't they have the advantage'' he couldn't find an answer, and decided not to go with it.

The answer is, that they would still have the clear advantage even with this proposed damage mitigation. You have more people, even if they do less damage that's still more people to wall, reveal, distract etc etc. It's called balance, that's what the game mechanics are supposed to promote. It's his job to balance out the field to make the game playable for everyone no matter what the players do.

For comparison, take a look at the rules that prohibit multiclient pvping. We don't allow it because its overpowering and dishonorable from a 1v1 perspective. To have one person controlling multiple characters to gain an advantage against another player, who in the same sense, has the same ability to do the same thing (player solution). It's no different than having one person calling and controlling other players, but yet one is allowed and the other is not.

In a perfect world, players and staff would put their personal agendas and grudges aside and try to find the best balance for everybodys sake. Unfortunately that is not what has been happening here on UO:Forever for quite some time now. It looks like we've lost bobby, a player here, over the same principle that I am discussing now. It won't be the last time unless people get their heads out of their asses and do what's right for the shard.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
@MrTodd You're grasping at straws saying that there won't be any reason for players not to BPK with the proposed changes. You still won't be able to recall if you get attacked, until you're being attacked by multiple players. This will certainly end up with a large percentage of people who BPK getting killed and therefore brought to justice for their actions.

@SomeGuy You're looking at this the wrong way. The way it is now, if you get yourself into a 1v3 that you can't win, right now your only options are to ''haul ass' like you say, and maybe eventually make it to your house after a nice long run across the map, or die and be statted for 2 days. My proposal is to re-add the third option, which we had for the first 2.5 years, which is to try to pull off the recall or get to a gate so that you can continue to play. I'd rather save myself the time and recall or get killed trying to recall than have to run all the way across sosaria to my house every time some zerg's ghost scout sees me.

But you're a solo PK, which means you have the option to run across the map to your house any time you're outnumbered. You're not investing time into things like champs or RDAs, where you can't be out running around in the forest for 10 mins if you want to get the top score. And the people who are sometimes have other players pulling spawn onto them, trying to get them killed, asking for a fight, and so they do fight. It's a form of small scale PvP that happens all the time and should be encouraged, rather than discouraged, so that newer players can learn how to pvp in the first place.

Some of these people who are ''guilty'' of having these small scale battles and getting a murder count end up only playing 1 or 2 hours a day. That means that one murder count makes them unable to recall if they get attacked by zergs for 12 real days. That's almost 2 weeks. So they get zerged and can't do anything about it on their PvM character for that long, just because of a little fight? It's silly. Try to look at game mechanics from a perspective outside of your own, there's tons of different playstyles.

I'm trying to highlight the problems with game structure that are encouraging lopsided pvp and to be honest the problem here seems to be that the server turned into uoforever but without bolas. People are forced to create giant groups because it's the only way to stop endless map running or win before your mount runs out of steam. And then to top it off, the same large groups are again encouraged to end up doing battle with PvM groups for loot. Id honestly like to see some changes to this overall structure that will limit group sizes to a reasonable size based on the current population, and so if anyone has some actual constructive ideas on how to accomplish it, feel free to post it here and I will help debunk it for you.

MrTodd

Adept
@MrTodd You're grasping at straws saying that there won't be any reason for players not to BPK with the proposed changes. You still won't be able to recall if you get attacked, until you're being attacked by multiple players. This will certainly end up with a large percentage of people who BPK getting killed and therefore brought to justice for their actions.

So, if i bpk someone, steal his relic and get jumped by his guildmates, I will be able to recall? Is that you proposing?

It's easy to run in uo without the use of bolas to keep that from happening, just talk with slowdown brah from your guild, he always evaded eqms zergs by running alot.. I mean, from nocut to trinsic..

Imagine that with damage mitigation and the ability to recall when you just bpked someone...

Sent from my mobile

wreckognize

Grandmaster
I'd like to take this opportunity to apologize to @Blair for my responses in the initial thread. I couldn't understand why he thought PK's who were attacking PvMers would suddenly be able to bail given the suggested changes. It was a miscommunication that was my fault for not wording my thoughts properly.

When he was first taken on as PvP manager his primary objective was to try and spur on some large scale group PvP because lots of people enjoy it, and he has successfully accomplished that. However I feel like it came at the cost of small scale PvP and that some balancing is needed for it to happen. These are my top two picks to make that happen. Another might be to bring some substance to the order/chaos system. Aside from that I don't know any other way to enforce balanced pvp other than the OP.

K A Z

Grandmaster
probably the worst suggestions of 2015.. and its quite late in the year ! I see what you're trying to achieve here, nerd.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
So, if i bpk someone, steal his relic and get jumped by his guildmates, I will be able to recall? Is that you proposing?

No, you would still have to wait until your aggressor flag timer wore off before you could recall. Even if you were attacked by multiple players. I believe it's one minute. And you wouldn't be able to recall until you turned blue, which is 2 minutes.

On top of that, if you got attacked by one other player as you try to recall after those 2 mins, you still wouldn't be able to recall or gate until 2 more minutes after you lose the person. Your only option then would be to run across the map to your house with the relic.

Now if while the person who attacked you is still chasing you, and you got attacked by yet another person, at that point you would be able to recall. But that doesn't mean you're going to get a recall off with 2 or more people chasing you.

You'd probably be better off continuing your jaunt across the map with the relic than stopping to try and recall, unless you were a fairly skilled player that either had another person or character to cast a gate for you, to exactly wherever you ended up after about 4 minutes of being chased. And if you are that skilled then maybe you deserve the fucking relic.

Im also pretty sure I'm not in a guild with slowdown brah.

Last edited by a moderator:

wreckognize

Grandmaster
probably the worst suggestions of 2015.. and its quite late in the year ! I see what you're trying to achieve here, nerd.

Hey buddy if you're going to troll me in the suggestion forums then why should I keep your secret that you're only going to Hawaii just to see Rhianna in concert?? nerd

Kairus

Adept
every time another mage casts an offensive spell on you, you should get like %10 reduced spell damage. this is to counter stupid "sync dump" mechanic of UO. and promote better big fights.

so if 3 mages dump u, u get full damage from first one, %90 from second, %80 from third.

bursting someone from 100 to 0 in a second is dumb. no other game promotes this kinda shit but its basicly what uo pvp is.

@wreckognize
ur 1. suggestion is bad imo(u basicly want a pk punishment removed)
2. suggestion has high potential

MANKRIK

Grandmaster
bursting someone from 100 to 0 in a second is dumb. no other game promotes this kinda shit but its basicly what uo pvp is.

Most MMO's I've played had mechanics like this or even worse, and a lot of it was in solo/2v2 combat rather than zerg vs solo player. I used to do 2v2 arenas in WoW as a fury warrior with an enh shaman guildie and we would drop someone before their healer managed to get their first spell off.

If you've got 2 guys against 10 of course you're gonna get tooled, and nothing will ever change that. You might prolong the fight or be able to run away from it, but at the end of the day you're still going to be on the losing end whenever you get into that situation.

wreckognize

Grandmaster
Most MMO's I've played had mechanics like this or even worse, and a lot of it was in solo/2v2 combat rather than zerg vs solo player. I used to do 2v2 arenas in WoW as a fury warrior with an enh shaman guildie and we would drop someone before their healer managed to get their first spell off.

If you've got 2 guys against 10 of course you're gonna get tooled, and nothing will ever change that. You might prolong the fight or be able to run away from it, but at the end of the day you're still going to be on the losing end whenever you get into that situation.

It's true, most of the MMO's Ive played have one hit kills, coming from one player. Not like UO where you need at least two people to sync. 2v2's or 3v3's in UO is pretty fun. Actually I think a 5% damage reduction in a 3v3 is fitting, since it just means you have to be that much more skilled to get the kill. and when one player goes down, the other two are back up to max dmg, so they still have a chance to even the numbers, if they don't cave under pressure, that is.

We're not talking about making one person able to stand up against 10 here, it's more like making 5 or 6 people able to stand up against ten, and it gets to the point where you probably just don't want to have more than 10 people on one screen. In reality people could still roll champs in a group of 20, and split offscreen into a few smaller groups so it's not like I'm trying to make people reform guilds or anything. Just trying to limit the 20 douchebags on one screen scenario that kills servers.

K A Z

Grandmaster
It's true, most of the MMO's Ive played have one hit kills, coming from one player. Not like UO where you need at least two people to sync. 2v2's or 3v3's in UO is pretty fun. Actually I think a 5% damage reduction in a 3v3 is fitting, since it just means you have to be that much more skilled to get the kill. and when one player goes down, the other two are back up to max dmg, so they still have a chance to even the numbers, if they don't cave under pressure, that is.

We're not talking about making one person able to stand up against 10 here, it's more like making 5 or 6 people able to stand up against ten, and it gets to the point where you probably just don't want to have more than 10 people on one screen. In reality people could still roll champs in a group of 20, and split offscreen into a few smaller groups so it's not like I'm trying to make people reform guilds or anything. Just trying to limit the 20 douchebags on one screen scenario that kills servers.

UOAC had a similar system to this and removed it after a few weeks.. so why would we go down a road they've already found to be too rocky?