A Request For More CTF/Invasion Events

Athrez

Grandmaster
Hello everyone!

I haven't seen in ages an CTF/Invasion event during the prime EU time.. not even like 1-2AM. I really like to do those kind of events and would be nice to see at least one of a kind every day. We used to have a lot of events last year. Why no more events now days? I have always thought that events make servers look active and good to new players and keep the old players attractive. Could the events be made like timed and automatically run for everyday so no staff actually would need to host it? I know we have the battle well in Brit but I don't like the idea of it and people are not donating money to play a CTF game that might last just 5mins. Imo it is just not working well.

What are your thoughts about this?

@eppy @Blair @Shane @JoeB @JennaL

lollo

Grandmaster
We euros always get the short end of the stick. All invasion bosses are like 4 am our time, same goes for pvp tournaments and handouts.

Guess we are just B class players since the server is US based and the owners don't care about the rest of the world (which is honestly quite typical for america)

Luckily i don't really give 2 shits about CTFs and boss battles so that's fine with me, but don't get your hopes up

Athrez

Grandmaster
Yeah. I used to have a blast doing the CTF's when I started in the end of 2014. Also invasions were a lot of fun.. Invasions had PvMers, factioners and reds. One event gave pretty much all the best things in UO at the same time. I want to feel that joy again. :)

Also, all those valorite weapons, barbed runic armours and stuff are standing in my bank with no use. That is a sad thing.

Cleper

Journeyman
We euros always get the short end of the stick. All invasion bosses are like 4 am our time, same goes for pvp tournaments and handouts.

Guess we are just B class players since the server is US based and the owners don't care about the rest of the world (which is honestly quite typical for america)

what a harsh statement and a cheap jab towards americans.

there will always be those who will get left out. can't please everyone. and you talk about euros, but what asia based players? and aussies? oh you don't speak up for them?

lollo

Grandmaster
what a harsh statement and a cheap jab towards americans.

there will always be those who will get left out. can't please everyone. and you talk about euros, but what asia based players? and aussies? oh you don't speak up for them?

it's a much worse problem for euros because of timezones. SE asia/greater china is about 12h ahead of EST timezone which means the events that are deep at night for euros are early afternoon for most asians.

Australia is more or less fucked same as us.

Also, it would definitely be possible to please everyone, just need one single staff member dedicated to events in the EU timezones

Last edited by a moderator:

Volco

Master
I'm not sure what the deal is with invasions, i thought i had read that they can happen anytime throughout the day. aside from staff hosted ones, i haven't seen one in months.

as far as CTF goes, maybe EU should start donating to the battle well.

JoeB

Adept
Also, it would definitely be possible to please everyone, just need one single staff member dedicated to events in the EU timezones

Understand the powers of staff in the position of a person running CTF/invasions etc. In order to run a CTF/Invasion/FFA/KOTH/PVP Tournament you need to be an Event master. Event masters have a lot of abilities in game which can be easily abused. Giving access to those gumps and the props powers within those event gumps is dangerous enough never mind the abilities they have in game outside of that. To list a few: Kill any player in game, Loot any player in game. See any tamed pet a player has stabled or unstabled get kill alter release etc. See hidden items that players can not see. See Hidden players. Teleport to any online players. Move items in game. Go to green acres/send people there. Dismount. Send browsers squelch etc. You do not just hire One single player and make them event master without building trust. It does not work that way. We have hired quite a few Euros in my 2+ years on staff and none of them have ended up being long term staff members.

lollo

Grandmaster
Understand the powers of staff in the position of a person running CTF/invasions etc. In order to run a CTF/Invasion/FFA/KOTH/PVP Tournament you need to be an Event master. Event masters have a lot of abilities in game which can be easily abused. Giving access to those gumps and the props powers within those event gumps is dangerous enough never mind the abilities they have in game outside of that. To list a few: Kill any player in game, Loot any player in game. See any tamed pet a player has stabled or unstabled get kill alter release etc. See hidden items that players can not see. See Hidden players. Teleport to any online players. Move items in game. Go to green acres/send people there. Dismount. Send browsers squelch etc. You do not just hire One single player and make them event master without building trust. It does not work that way. We have hired quite a few Euros in my 2+ years on staff and none of them have ended up being long term staff members.

I remember the poll where we had to vote for the event master.....the grand final was between 2 people and in the end none of them was chosen and instead we got Drinn (why??) who basically didn't do shit and quit/was fired from his position few weeks later.

I understand that a lot of trust needs to be put into a staff position, but i can't believe there's not a single trustworthy european player on the server

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
I would log on to play CTFs again if they actually balanced the game and scoring system. Won't happen though so I'll continue to be inactive I guess.

JennaL

Expert
Collectively as staff we decided to cut back on events (we were doing up to three or four a day). And this past week was our 'The Wrath' town invasion and therefore very little in terms of staff-hosted regular events. Free For All to my understanding is still bugged, but expect more King of the Hills, Capture the Flags, Team verses Team and PvP tournaments, etc. in the near future.

For all latest events check out UO Forever's Twitter feed:
https://twitter.com/UO_FOREVER

Arch Enemy

Grandmaster
I'm curious, how would you balance it?

I have my own ideas, but what would you do?

Removing the ability to bring your own items would have the biggest impact on leveling the playing field. It creates a very clear advantage for those with the gold to buy the best weapons and armor. I would like to see all gear provided and everything be of exceptional quality.

The other thing that needs to be fixed is the scoring system. In my opinion, it should be removed completely so that the objective of the game shifts toward working together to capture flags, as opposed to trying to rack up the highest score for bragging rights and/or prize pixels. However, I understand that point/prize system is an incentive for a good amount of folks to even join these events to begin with. So as an alternate proposition, I would suggest implementing @Peav 's scoring system outlined in the link in my signature. The basic idea is to reduce the amount of points awarded to a single player for a capture, and instead award a static, global amount of points to the whole team for each capture. This encourages people to work together to capture flags. Right now it's like "Oh, teammate leaving the enemy flag room and heading towards the maze where I'm standing? I'll just wall you in, let you die, then go grab the flag and cap it myself." People experience this sort of selfish gameplay in CTFs and get turned off to the whole event.

The other thing that could be done is to put players into a waiting area before the game starts and divide up players based on their chosen role that they wish to play. Something like flagger/waller/dexer/mage defender. Then as the players join, the four roles are divided evenly among each team as best as possible to ensure that one team doesn't have all the flaggers while the other team has all the dexers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
Removing the ability to bring your own items would have the biggest impact on leveling the playing field. It's creates a very clear advantage for those with the gold to buy the best weapons and armor. I would like to see all gear provided and everything be of exceptional quality.

100% agree.

Athrez

Grandmaster
I logged in and saw 2 min left in a CTF game at 10.40pm for me (2.40pm server time)! It was nice to see this many players in it. This is what I meant! We need events like this!

06ab21233d.png

Also thank for everyone in staff who has put time and effort to pm me about this topic. I appreciate that. :)

Props to staff.

Lithium149

Grandmaster
Glad to hear staff is listening! Even when I was newer to the shard I was bummed I always missed these events, my RL cousin who just recently started has said the same that he wishes there were more events to attend (CTF/FFA/Team vs Team etc).

Much appreciated and have been hoping for a more set in stone basis.