Why the BOD dance?

Drake741

Novice
What is the point of selling daggers or ingots or skullcaps or whatever to these vendors when you are eligible for a BOD?

Is it to deter bots or something? I dont get the purpose of it, and as far as I can tell, it is to give you a 10-45 second delay from getting to the vendor to getting the deed.

Maybe this should go in the Suggestions forum...

halygon

Grandmaster
What is the point of selling daggers or ingots or skullcaps or whatever to these vendors when you are eligible for a BOD?
UO is a MMORPG. There is usually an underlying reason for most actions. In this case selling items to the NPC shop is to bring in player made items to the NPC vender... Ie. a tailor sells his wares then the NPC says hey.. Since you are a good tailor and all , here is a task.

Since most folks just see BODs as a method to make money, they mechanicalize the process and forget the basic reasons for the rewards in the first place. This mentality gets pass on and here you are.

Hope this answers your question.

Drake741

Novice
I totally follow that, and for role-playing reasons, I can almost understand it. But for role playing reasons, I can also make a good case against it. When you develop a good reputation as a craftsman, why does the vendor need a reminder? Why does he give you a deed for 10 normal straw hats after you just made exquisite studded leather armor sets?

That being said, I am not looking to step on anyone's RP. You can do the same thing by requesting a deed when your timer is up. So I ask again, why the song and dance?

halygon

Grandmaster
I totally follow that, and for role-playing reasons, I can almost understand it. But for role playing reasons, I can also make a good case against it. When you develop a good reputation as a craftsman, why does the vendor need a reminder? Why does he give you a deed for 10 normal straw hats after you just made exquisite studded leather armor sets?

That being said, I am not looking to step on anyone's RP. You can do the same thing by requesting a deed when your timer is up. So I ask again, why the song and dance?
Well.. its not like irl you get to pick your customer's needs... just saying that a 10 straw hat BoD can make sense.

SteelSexi

Master
I don't mind selling the npc a few items to get my BOD, but sometimes its just ridiculous.

To have to sit there and sell the npc 40 things sometimes to get your BOD when you are eligible is excessive IMO. That don't happen too often, but when it does, it's very annoying.

halygon

Grandmaster
I don't mind selling the npc a few items to get my BOD, but sometimes its just ridiculous.

To have to sit there and sell the npc 40 things sometimes to get your BOD when you are eligible is excessive IMO. That don't happen too often, but when it does, it's very annoying.
Yup, I've always hated BoD farming because of this.

Bromista

Grandmaster
42 is my personal best. I agree with deterring bottng. I also agree that you should have some sort of way of establish a rapport with the NPC's, however the only invulnerable NPC is the smith in the Crafter's guild. Every other NPC can be killed.so that's a problem.

Also there wouldn't be anything keeping a player from botting even if you require them to turn in so many deeds every so many days to keep up some form of reputation. Would be easy to work around. Just set up hotkeys on your crafter to recall to tue shops and for Aldrick sell/Hadden sell and it'll be pretty painless almost every time.

Blaine the Gypsy

Grandmaster
I'd much rather be able to turn them in and get one right away as osi did. Sure it was exploited but if a limit per X amount of hours was set besides the wait X hours get crap or not bod. Most people who have crafters have more than one just to attempt to get anything good. I'd much rather have more constructive characters per skill set pvp, crafting, or pvm instead of wasting that skill slot on something you may or may not get.

Messremb

Grandmaster
I think the reason the whole "selling" thing was in Original UO was because you could actually make money by making items and selling them to the NPCs. so while people were training their skills this gave them something to get along with the money.

Here though the GMs have made it so every item you make sells for less than it costs to make. (I hear that had something to do with people exploiting the system early on here). any ways, with selling stuff not really worth anyone's time I think they should either make it a Gump or make it so if you are eligible it only takes one sale to get the BOD.

But there are currently bigger fish to fry with crafting, and apart from being annoying this really isn't hurting anyone.