Why pick this shard?

Skreww

Apprentice
Hey guys,
Looking for a server to call home. Why should I come here? How active is the shard? I'm a night time player You tell me

edw3rdwood

Grandmaster
I like it a lot, been here two months and there is always something new going on, always people to group with/pvp with, etc. The economy is interesting, lots of cool newer style items added to keep it fresh. Just look around and you'll see the forum is active and the devs keep a lot of new stuff coming

Vic Rattlehead

Apprentice
Lots of people at all periods of time since there are mostly US and european players with different time zones.
Juste create a char (takes ten seconds to sign up and play) and go to Brit bank at any moment, always a good spot to check server activity, you'll see a lot of people.
Shard is very active and staff very involved.
Unlike other free shards this one is ran professionally.
Great events and innovations.
I don't Pvp a lot so I cant give an elaborate opinion but given the number of Pvpers I'd tend to say it works fine and seems balanced.
Best I've played in a (very) long time.

Easy_buddy

Journeyman
The dudes that run the server seem very compitent and the server has a healthy population. I'd compare UOF to felucca sliced out of a production server. We still have weird AR, the neon clothing and custom housing, and pot throwing fills the void left by a lack of modern skills like ninjitsu and necromancy.
Crafting seems fun. You have a chance at crafting a slayer, which spices up the grind. I got a nostalgia kick from crafters actually being at the brit smith shop, but if anybody actually asks you to repair their stuff or make stuff, they're definetly just trying to distract you to steal from you--so there's a healthy amount of thieves too!

Hephastus

Journeyman
It is a great shard and unlike others it is very populated though not overcrowded. The developers organize many events and regularly add new contents. The remove bugs relatively fast and I have never heard of any item duping issues on this shard.

Because of all this, think of it as a good investment of your time and (in-game) gold (or maybe donation coins eventually). This (free) shard will still be around in a few years, and with it, your in-game gold, your ethy mounts that you can buy with donations coins or converted in-game gold, your house, all of your items, your pets etc. Many other free shards go down in the long run, which means you have to start from zero elsewhere.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Disregard above comment.

It's true that it happens, but it comes from besttherewas so who reallllllllly gives a shit ya know?

UOF does it right, for me it's the right blend of old school with modern conveniences and an active population on all sides of UO.

Ondine

Neophyte
It is a great shard and unlike others it is very populated though not overcrowded. The developers organize many events and regularly add new contents. The remove bugs relatively fast and I have never heard of any item duping issues on this shard.

Because of all this, think of it as a good investment of your time and (in-game) gold (or maybe donation coins eventually). This (free) shard will still be around in a few years, and with it, your in-game gold, your ethy mounts that you can buy with donations coins or converted in-game gold, your house, all of your items, your pets etc. Many other free shards go down in the long run, which means you have to start from zero elsewhere.

That is why I picked this shard - for the longevity. I did play on another free shard for a few days - it had unlimited skills and lots of stuff like that but the pop was a bit thin. So I thought instead of investing too much more time there for a game I truly love, I made my way here. It's sure different to start off with - my first *gasp! came when mousing over my equipment didn't give me a long list of atts. Ive come to like this system much better in the longer run. I've stayed away from PvP shards but I will have to acclimatize to it here - it's aggravating, it's annoying and it's also exhilarating and makes you think defensively with adrenaline drops.

Skreww

Apprentice
Thanks for the input guys. Most replies out of the three shards I checked out. I started a toon on all 3 freeservers too, and this one does seem to have the most activity. Ive been playing uo for 15 years, OSI. looking for a pvp guild.Pm me if your active and recruiting

Chesty Puller

Grandmaster
Thanks for the input guys. Most replies out of the three shards I checked out. I started a toon on all 3 freeservers too, and this one does seem to have the most activity. Ive been playing uo for 15 years, OSI. looking for a pvp guild.Pm me if your active and recruiting
What server you play on back in 99 - early 2000's?

Skreww

Apprentice
What server you play on back in 99 - early 2000's?
My first 10 years was on lake superior. Then when OSI got to its worst, I moved to atlantic. Sooo tired of item insurance. I want to get that good old tel feeling. Like when you lost your house key then you lost your house

GoldenArms

Apprentice
Decent population and dev team is constantly updating. For instance they found that the trash barrel, and conquest system was lagging the servers and took it out. They make decisions that improve the gameplay of the server for everyone!