Why do we have pockets of red-trammel on this shard?

MZ3K

Grandmaster
In a previous post @Shane had said that servers that didn't have punishments for red died quickly because there was no reason not to play a red and (iirc) so everyone did, and there were no blues left for the reds to kill, and so there was no reason to play either a blue or a red.

However, a red who stuck to places like the orc cave and Booty Island never takes on the risk associated with playing a red. There are an increasing number of reds who seem to play Booty Island exclusively. Eventually, what happened to those servers could happen to Booty Island or other no cut zones.

Even with that aside, it just seems patently unfair that only reds have safe zones.

Someone might reply that in those zones the risks for red and blues are the same (both of them risk only death). However, if that's fair, then the rest of the shard is not fair for reds. In which case, the rest of the shard ought to be a no cut zone. But that would bring about the problem that quickly killed other servers; clearly that's not desirable.

In sum, either the no-cut zones are unfair to blues, or the rest of the shard is unfair to reds for pragmatic reasons. I doubt that anyone would say that the rules on the rest of the shard are unfair to reds, which means the no-cut zones must be unfair to blues.

I don't play a red, but I wouldn't want to play an MMO without them. I just don't see the justification for no cut zones in places like Booty Island and the orc cave.

Deadpool

Grandmaster
So to sum it up, you're saying the no-cut zones on Booty Island and in the orc cave should be done away with, right? I honestly didn't even know that Booty Island is a no-cut. Didn't really realize anyone even goes there since there's not a lot to do. As far as the orc cave that could be because there were RPing orcs who were red and it may have been so they wouldn't get statted all the time. Not sure.

Rikket_The_Rogue

Grandmaster
Ahhh, word.

I'm not overly worried about it. In the event that you kill a red they usually have a account or two ready to insta port in to continue the fight just to make sure you can't take their head anyways.

Not saying it doesn't happen, but there are ways to subvert the system that's technically not against the rules.

Deadpool

Grandmaster
Basically that's the point. The rest of the OP was just anticipating some objections.

If you get rid of those you might as well as get rid of all the no-cut zones. But if you wanna do that, safe zones like WBB need to go away too. Won't happen on any account btw.

MZ3K

Grandmaster
If you get rid of those you might as well as get rid of all the no-cut zones.
Yeah, that was intended to follow from the OP.

That said, I don't know them all (I don't play a red, the zones aren't super important to me), and so I'm assuming that the other zones don't differ from the two examples I gave in some way that justifies their existence. However, if they do, then the reasons to get rid of the no-cut zones in places like Booty wouldn't suffice to get rid of the other zones.

But if you wanna do that, safe zones like WBB need to go away too.

(Aside: I hate the idea of safe zones, so I don't personally have a problem with this.)

Yeah that might follow from the argument I made. (I.e. safe trading is either consistent with the game or not, and so the rule set at WBB is either consistent with it or not. If it is, then everywhere else isn't, so everywhere else needs to change; if it isn't, then WBB needs to change, etc.) In a post by Shane, he gave a few pragmatic reasons for the WBB safe zone (e.g. allows people to go afk at the bank, which makes the server look busy.) I just can't think of anything pragmatic that would make the no-cut zones a necessary evil like WBB might be. Maybe it's to attract red players. However, going on Shane's experience: red safe havens end up becoming areas that neither reds nor blues play.

Won't happen on any account btw

No probably not.

halygon

Grandmaster
One thing that we do on UOF that's a bit different than other shards is that we try to make as many QoL( Quality of Life) changes that we can without impacting gameplay too much.

Things like brit trading zone, the guard tower, no-cut, auto-stealth, etc are all things that have been implemented to make the life of UO players easier. There are slight impacts to the UO gameplay, but overall they are really minimal.

Gone are the times when we could make UO hardcore for all and just expect people to flock to the shard and play. Times have changed since UO first started and we need to keep some things changing to accommodate new player bases.

Jongi09

Master
The safe zone that pvpers sit at outside of WB bridge. In the old days it was the Warriors Guild and on another popular shard it was called Valhalla.
I always wondered what that was! I've never hung around long enough to find out!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Caso

Grandmaster
World of Warcraft has destroyed hardcore gaming. Everyone expects rainbows and lollipops then some hugs and kisses.

The no statloss zones were created to generate much needed pvp. They are a good thing.

THEREGOESBILL

Apprentice
I think that reds should not be allowed in factions, seeing as you can bless weapons and use them on non faction members. along with other perks given to faction members.

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I think that reds should not be allowed in factions, seeing as you can bless weapons and use them on non faction members. along with other perks given to faction members.

I definitely think that blessed faction weapons should not be used against none faction players. There should be a thorns effect that deals 80% of weapon damage to the user if they are attacking people who are not in factions and the remaining 20% deals damage to the durability of the weapon. A message would pop up saying "The soul of this weapon is enraged that you would attack the innocents of this world".

The only time this would not apply is if the Factioner is attacked by a non factioner, then obviously these changes would not apply.

I mean, a little more trammel wouldn't hurt... [e sigh

Shane

Administrator
Staff member
The entire original post is kind of confusing, i can't tell if he wants more no cut zones or if he wants us to introduce trammel or if he wants us to introduce some sort of insurance for blues?

Either way,
What we have now has been working pretty well, if PK's become a serious issue in UOFOREVER then we will deal with it very strictly. Pking and the amount of PK's is something i personally watch closely and always have.

I swear on this entire server if massive PKing becomes a huge issue it will seriously be nerfed into the dirt. We will introduce large rewards to kill pk's, introduce huge stat loss for reds, and more. I don't hate pking, in fact i love it- however if it threatens what we have worked towards for years here as a community then yes, we will deal with that promptly. Why i say that is because since we launched PK's are the number one reason people leave UOForever and that still holds true to this day.

Honestly, pking here isn't that bad. You will get pk'd, that is part of UO, but you can quickly adapt to escape the tactics used by most PK's on UO FOREVER.

I think what the OP is missing is that you cannot compare REDS AND BLUES.
REDS take a path and with that path should have consequences. They can, will and do kill everyone at any time giving them consistent chances at great rewards if they obtain those kills (which they do). Being able to attack anyone outside of any town at any time and looting them, pillaging and so on is a benefit. With that benefit comes consequences though. IMO the no cut zones are kinda lame and in a huge way "trammel" honestly when you think about it. Reds can do whatever, kill whoever, and then as long as they die in that one area they have ZERO consequences. It's not really balanced.

Reds have it really good here, i admit. I think also that a lot of the reds and Red guilds know this and they really try to keep things more reasonable with how the conduct themselves. I could go into more detail i guess but i do watch this, and it is something i watch closely as i said.