What to do after losing "Young status"?

kou g

Novice
I've followed the tutorial videos on the uoforever youtube account and they stopped after showing the newbie dungeon. I'm kind of lost after this point. I'm playing a swordsman, tactics, anatomy, healing, magery, spell resist, meditation build right now as my first character since the guide said that was a great starter build.

I recently found out this build wasnt the best starter build and a Bard type character would be better for a fresh account to make money before making my PvP character. This bard would have musician, prov, archery, eval int, and i forget what else....

I'm curious what to do here, should I remake this bard character? i wouldnt mind starting fresh because it didnt take me long to get GM swordsmanship. I have about 20-25k gold in the bank.

The other thing is that I'm totally lost as to what I should do in this game after I lose Young status...all the guides online seem to just show you the ropes up until that point.

I'd appreciate any tips on these subjects. I really want to experience this game as everyone says its one of the best online games of all time. Just need a bit more guidance

heres something..
ok on here you get 3 accounts , so you should have two remaining accounts with young status to build your bard. i would build the bard obtain enough gold for a house and enough resources for all future chars,put the resources regs ect in house . co own all your chars to that house.. after this point you can operate out of the house make pvpers ect,, find a good guild/do whatever type of things you enjoy on uo. with a base of operation you should have a stronger foothold in the game to do things you like and this house will support more than just your swordsman...
hope this helps

kou g

Novice
heres someuthing..
ok on here you get 3 accounts , so you should have two remaining accounts with young status to build your bard. i would build the bard obtain enough gold for a house and enough resources for all future chars,put the resources regs ect in house . co own all your chars to that house.. after this point you can operate out of the house make pvpers ect,, find a good guild/do whatever type of things you enjoy on uo. with a base of operation you should have a stronger foothold in the game to do things you like and this house will support more than just your swordsman...
hope this helps

Thanks for the response. I forgot about the fact that you can be pickpocketed even inside the town of Britain. i'm afraid i'm going to have a really tough existence when I lose youth status...

Is a house an absolute necessity in this game? Am I fully safe in my own house? How much gold do you need for a house? Are there any land plots even left at this point?

Darkarna

Grandmaster
Imagine your [Young] status as a kind of provisional driving license, the real learning begins when you have that removed and move into the real game. Take your swordsman to despise, experience the dangers that are associated with such a place but I strongly advise to take only GM created equipment [GM] = Grand Master crafted. You will have a pretty hard time to begin with, you will get murdered, you will get stolen from, you will get monsters lured upon you and your corpse will get looted. The transition will be complete when you can get yourself back up, restock and learn from mistakes made.

You can purchase a house placement tool from Britain, Real estate NPC's, save up 100k which is easily attainable in a few hours from despise and check the outskirts of Britain, make a small custom and try and fit it into a empty grass area, make sure there are at least two tiles clear on all sides to have a better chance of placing. When you have achieved this, you can then go about building it *costs money*. Housing is not completely safe regardless of the size.

Ultimately, you need to face this game head on, you need to understand that you will always be in danger when you leave 'safe' areas, Ultima Online is a cruel and dark world to exist in, it is also one of the only games I can honestly say you are truly free.

Some more quick tips :

Do not carry expensive items around banks

Do not sell expensive items around banks

IF a deal is to good to be true, it usually is.

Keep a careful eye around vendors.

Setup a recall macro to escape from dungeons *guides here tell you how to do it*

Move areas if you are having PK problems.

Do not co-own anyone to your house.

Use potions.

Join a big guild if you want to experience another side of the game.

Don't moan and complain if you lose something of value, this is UO, not Hello Kitty.

If you can't beat them, join them...

Get yourself an ethereal mount.. Donation coins 1k or purchase from players for around 150k

Make sure to use trapped pouches, this will stop you from being paralysed.

Do not go hunting with stuff you can not afford to lose..

If you see a blue in a dungeon run past, always think the worst that a stampede of reds will follow.

Becareful with certain gates, some are advertised as vendor spots, others are advertised as vendor spots and end up being to a location where you will be killed.

Keep up to date on the trade forums, if you are ever stuck with a price, using the search function can usually sort that issue out

If you even decide to make a thief, show a little class in the way you talk.

There are others I guess, but my brain is switched off...

Oh, most of all, have fun... This is highly important.

I'd say having a house is pretty necessary, but you could do without possibly, but why ? it's loads of fun you can decorate it hang out there make it your own customize it ect.. anyways now down to the serious stuff. I've never gotten pk'd at my house. Do i go afk while unhidden in my house? nope.( you can hide without the skill in own home) also, have i ever had anything of great worth in my pack stolen ,.. nope but i don't lay good stuff in my back pack and stroll through brit bank. don't be afraid of losing WoW status, whoops i mean young status. don't be afraid, post young status is what makes this the best game there is.

p.s if you look around you'll be able to find a small spot to place you might have to roam the country side for awhhilleee. but i bet you will come up on something neat

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I've followed the tutorial videos on the uoforever youtube account and they stopped after showing the newbie dungeon. I'm kind of lost after this point. I'm playing a swordsman, tactics, anatomy, healing, magery, spell resist, meditation build right now as my first character since the guide said that was a great starter build.

I recently found out this build wasnt the best starter build and a Bard type character would be better for a fresh account to make money before making my PvP character. This bard would have musician, prov, archery, eval int, and i forget what else....

I'm curious what to do here, should I remake this bard character? i wouldnt mind starting fresh because it didnt take me long to get GM swordsmanship. I have about 20-25k gold in the bank.

The other thing is that I'm totally lost as to what I should do in this game after I lose Young status...all the guides online seem to just show you the ropes up until that point.

I'd appreciate any tips on these subjects. I really want to experience this game as everyone says its one of the best online games of all time. Just need a bit more guidance

1) join a guild with people who can help you

2) Use your second account to make the bard (funded by the 25k you have now).

3) definitely need a home at some point. I can hook you up as I have a few deeds just collecting dust. Pm me once you have an account with the required skills to own a house.

Proven

Novice
Ultima Online is a cruel and dark world to exist in...

Indeed, much like our own. Which is why modern MMOs are merely games!

Oh, most of all, have fun... This is highly important.

The most important. ;)

Look at UO more like a digital reflection of our world in many ways that are not apparent at first. It is more of a virtual reality than it is a game - more so than any other MMO I've played.

OP:

Definitely go with a bard. It is a great money maker for a newer player and has a quick low cost re-equip for the inevitable gank. It will also make PvE here a great deal easier for you to become accustomed to before you branch out to other characters and ways of playing the game / living in the online world. Use the gold you have to get some arrows from archery shops and provisioners. Get some GM made bows from player vendors and give them to your new account (if you have a somewhat modern computer you can dual client and simply trade the items between your characters before getting a house) and take that guy to the newbie dungeon.

Follow this guide below except for the snooping/hiding part. Dont do that (yet). Do a music/snoop macro on a gate bot at the brit bank to raise your str/dex. Stop it around 50 snoop, should have good enough stats to hit the young dungeon. Do healing on a ghost and attend it for a while til its 70-80 or so (youll need to run out or kill mobs dragged to you). Then do your combat skills to GM - archery/tact - by killing the bandits and undead. Once that is done macro GM healing/anat on a ghost at he entrance of the young dungeon again (with GM fighting skills now you should auto kill anything that aggros you, and can macro hiding at the same time), and run out every 30 minutes to the well directly south of the britain tailor shop by west bank until you hit 599 real skill. That well gives you a buff for faster skill gains. You will lose young status while in the dungeon if you macro this way so use your 3rd account with young status to deliver bandages to your 2nd account bard if you run out.

Dungeons give 50% more skill gains also. If this is too intense just follow the guide below :)

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-7x-bard-and-gold-making.25593/

Last edited by a moderator:

kou g

Novice
Indeed, much like our own. Which is why modern MMOs are merely games!

The most important. ;)

Look at UO more like a digital reflection of our world in many ways that are not apparent at first. It is more of a virtual reality than it is a game - more so than any other MMO I've played.

OP:

Definitely go with a bard. It is a great money maker for a newer player and has a quick low cost re-equip for the inevitable gank. It will also make PvE here a great deal easier for you to become accustomed to before you branch out to other characters and ways of playing the game / living in the online world. Use the gold you have to get some arrows from archery shops and provisioners. Get some GM made bows from player vendors and give them to your new account (if you have a somewhat modern computer you can dual client and simply trade the items between your characters before getting a house) and take that guy to the newbie dungeon.

Follow this guide below except for the snooping/hiding part. Dont do that (yet). Do a music/snoop macro on a gate bot at the brit bank to raise your str/dex. Stop it around 50 snoop, should have good enough stats to hit the young dungeon. Do healing on a ghost and attend it for a while til its 70-80 or so (youll need to run out or kill mobs dragged to you). Then do your combat skills to GM - archery/tact - by killing the bandits and undead. Once that is done macro GM healing/anat on a ghost at he entrance of the young dungeon again (with GM fighting skills now you should auto kill anything that aggros you, and can macro hiding at the same time), and run out every 30 minutes to the well directly south of the britain tailor shop by west bank until you hit 599 real skill. That well gives you a buff for faster skill gains. You will lose young status while in the dungeon if you macro this way so use your 3rd account with young status to deliver bandages to your 2nd account bard if you run out.

Dungeons give 50% more skill gains also. If this is too intense just follow the guide below :)

http://www.uoforum.com/threads/beginners-guide-to-7x-bard-and-gold-making.25593/

Awesome reply, thank you for the information. I was wondering if you could tell me which skills/stats to raise during character creation? Also once I'm done with the character, what do I want my 7 skills to be at? If you could list the most the exact build that would be great. I'm not sure if the post you linked is still the ideal Bard.

Thanks again everyone for the information

dylana

Neophyte
1) join a guild with people who can help you

2) Use your second account to make the bard (funded by the 25k you have now).

3) definitely need a home at some point. I can hook you up as I have a few deeds just collecting dust. Pm me once you have an account with the required skills to own a house.

I'm in the process of trying to get a house now. I purchased a two story cabin deed for 40k from a friend in the alliance. I looked all over the countryside and could not find a place to put it down. I DID see places for a smaller one. I was thinking of selling the cabin deed and then buying a small custom one. I just want a small tower or something for now.

Arnwald, provo/mage

Grizard

Adept
Maybe once you join a guild someone can friend you to their house and give you a box to work out of and store some things while you get your money settled.

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
I'm in the process of trying to get a house now. I purchased a two story cabin deed for 40k from a friend in the alliance. I looked all over the countryside and could not find a place to put it down. I DID see places for a smaller one. I was thinking of selling the cabin deed and then buying a small custom one. I just want a small tower or something for now.

Arnwald, provo/mage

Yea pm me when you're on, I may be able to find you a spot. I've hooked up a couple ppl with houses and usually just do a 7x7 custom and transfer it to them so they have a starting point.

eric_azria

Grandmaster
Find eqms at the bridge, load up an explosion potion and run head first into the group spamming allah akbar.

Two things will come of this:

1) You'll die, but gain the admiration of newbs in purple.

2) You'll realize that dying in a wizard game isn't that big of a deal.

Enjoy.

Young Star

Grandmaster
You really should use a house placement tool. You can then place whatever house you can fit and afford in an open spot. Plus it is blessed, unlike the house deeds.

Dellan

Grandmaster
I'd say, play. You will learn along the way. You will often DYE!, will lose all your stuff, get griefed the shit out of you, get called like n word, ***, newb, loser, shit, get rolled over by 200 reds with precasted flamestrikes (then called with the above), enter gates that will land you either in middle of hell or spot you cannot get out of, get stolen from, get monsters lured on you while afk training... Best way to experience countless ways of suffering is to experience them first hand! You will also meet many great people, experience situations you will never see elsewhere, have fun of your life and UO will leave hooks in you so deep you will come to it for all your life, even after quitting numerous times.

dylana

Neophyte
Yea pm me when you're on, I may be able to find you a spot. I've hooked up a couple ppl with houses and usually just do a 7x7 custom and transfer it to them so they have a starting point.

I finally found a spot! It was worth the searching. I have my own peninsula with a good distance from any neighbors. I put down a two story stone tower. But thanx for the offer! I'm going to create my other two accounts now so I might be looking for another house. I was thinking about a location that would be good for vendors.