UOF Macro Culture - Looking for a brief history

Hello all,

Very new to the server, like 2 weeks new and loving it.

I've been watching in game, scanning the forum boards, trying to put it all together.

I've been away from UO for well over a decade. From this perspective I can see that the complexity, importance, and culture surrounding macros in game have progressed beyond my memory way back at the turn of the century.

My recollection, that while some used EZ macro or something else to level skills, it was generally frowned upon by most players culturally and certainly the OSI powers that be as a matter of policy. My personal experience beyond the allowed set of macros available in the options menu was setting the remote control on the space bar with a macro to spam language while I went to school - to keep a red ghost logged in shedding murder counts. I think I came home to find my ghost in jail once or twice :p

I seem to remember some noise on the Stratics board about use of unauthorized macros in PvP- I never really remember experiencing that, and I spent entirely too many of my formative years logged in :) I can see that if I'm ever going to compete in PvP as anything more than a distance runner I'll need to become very aquatinted with at least some of these more complex macros.

So first point of interest- am I remembering that with rose tinted glasses? I know there was some violation back at the turn of the century w/OSI, but I don't think I was the only person who enjoyed playing and didn't make full use of those external programs.

Second point of interest - Not familiar with the culture of alternative servers like UOF, at what point culturally did the player base shift towards what you see now (razor included in the download as standard for example)? Was it something that has always been part of the alternative server community? Did things incrementally shift towards these programs coming into the open and embraced by players and the staff? Maybe an issue of an unenforceable law being a futile law at its core? Do current game mechanics or incentives de facto require their use to realistically achieve your goals, and the climate shifted from there?

After reviewing UOFs policy's and the forum, its clear these are an integral part of the modern version of the game, and their use is encouraged institutionally and through the grass roots player base.

Finally and to be crystal clear, my intent with this thread is not to make a qualitative judgement on the modern macro reality, but to gain some insight on the Why and the When and how it's changed, if any, from the creation of UOF.

Trying to keep it classy :)

lummox

Master
The thing is uo isn't the hit it was back in the day. Culture shifted because people will not spend the time now clicking hide for hours as opposed to when mmos were the craze. Even if you were implementing skill raises during your adventures as opposed to nose to the grind stone skill raises, it just takes forever.

The game needs macros so that players can get plugged into most game content real quickly. End game meta content, pvp and economy maintenance then keeps people pretty enthralled along with events.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

Brujean

Neophyte
I very much appreciate this post, I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers!

I can honestly say my first char on Sonoma I GM'd Magery without any macros and it took a long damn time; but after it was done it meant a lot more to me than any char I have macro'd since. I do remember getting UOAssist at some point on live, but never macroing skills there. However, every single private server (in conjunction with razor) I have played has been "who can put the most efficient unattended macro together" side-game which, all I can really say for sure, it's much faster than leveling skills through actual gameplay.

I think when shards had many thousands of players at one time, it made sense to frown upon (as a player culture) and enforce (as a GM staff) anti-macroing policies, but at this point in time it does not make sense. However there must be a balance, I think everyone can agree no one wants a UO server where you just type in what your skills should be (like a test shard).

This server does have a unique policy in the sense I can't remember other private servers caring about unattended taming; so if anything I think this server may be closer to the live spectrum of skill gain than other private servers I've played (more or less).

There is the solid fact that someone who spends two weeks unattended macroing vs. someone who spends two weeks playing their char, the latter might have an advantage just for being more toned in actually playing the char e.g. if the two were to encounter each other and this might offset any skill difference on the characters.

At the end of the day, I like playing (and making!) a lot of different characters and I simply don't have the time to get them all to a "final play state" if I couldn't macro unattended.

My 2centz~

I very much appreciate this post, I'm glad I'm not the only one who remembers!

I can honestly say my first char on Sonoma I GM'd Magery without any macros and it took a long damn time; but after it was done it meant a lot more to me than any char I have macro'd since. I do remember getting UOAssist at some point on live, but never macroing skills there. However, every single private server (in conjunction with razor) I have played has been "who can put the most efficient unattended macro together" side-game which, all I can really say for sure, it's much faster than leveling skills through actual gameplay.

I think when shards had many thousands of players at one time, it made sense to frown upon (as a player culture) and enforce (as a GM staff) anti-macroing policies, but at this point in time it does not make sense. However there must be a balance, I think everyone can agree no one wants a UO server where you just type in what your skills should be (like a test shard).

This server does have a unique policy in the sense I can't remember other private servers caring about unattended taming; so if anything I think this server may be closer to the live spectrum of skill gain than other private servers I've played (more or less).

There is the solid fact that someone who spends two weeks unattended macroing vs. someone who spends two weeks playing their char, the latter might have an advantage just for being more toned in actually playing the char e.g. if the two were to encounter each other and this might offset any skill difference on the characters.

At the end of the day, I like playing (and making!) a lot of different characters and I simply don't have the time to get them all to a "final play state" if I couldn't macro unattended.

My 2centz~
Thanks for adding in. So I'm interested that both you and lummox touched on the number of players in game today being a weighty factor in the Why column. Can add some color to that? Why do you feel the quantity of logged in players is impactful? I can see how a completely barren universe would make you question a lot of why you were playing UO but the community here seems rather robust to me. Do we have statistics on average and total active players? (Those are likely confidential business numbers I'm sure) Sure it's not the number of people you had in 99 or whatever but it feels like there is a healthy pulse to me. From some posts I've seen the staff make it also appears to be growing, so if number of participates is a factor, do you think it's an issue that would ever need to be reassessed?

shirtandpantsman

Grandmaster
macros to gain skills on this server aren't a big deal, skill gain has been ramped up and you gain even more in a dungeon, if you really wanted to you could GM pretty much any skill without a crazy amount of macroing in a couple weeks of casual play edit : other than taming or certain crafting skills

the problem with macros and assist clients nowadays is with PVP. if you still drag peoples health bars or don't have a target/attack closest macro, you're a dinosaur

you will see with purple potions...

Desi

Grandmaster
The UO Extreme era evolved into a whole slew of other complex automated programs. To experience true cultural shock download and master the Sallos client.

The pvp scene from dread days has changed drastically from when off-screening (or even chugging pots) during field fights was considered taboo.

Also welcome back!

toddyboi

Master
macros to gain skills on this server aren't a big deal, skill gain has been ramped up and you gain even more in a dungeon, if you really wanted to you could GM pretty much any skill without a crazy amount of macroing in a couple weeks of casual play edit : other than taming or certain crafting skills

the problem with macros and assist clients nowadays is with PVP. if you still drag peoples health bars or don't have a target/attack closest macro, you're a dinosaur

you will see with purple potions...
Shuddap