UO Fuzzy Math

armorsmith

Neophyte
I just logged in to refresh my house and was greeted with a message from UO Forever that I had won a random raffle of an ehteral mount.l All I had to do was answer a math question. The math question presented was "2 x 4 + 10 x 3". When i went to school I was taught that an equation presented in this format, the multiplication was always done first, then the addition (PEMDAS - order of operations). The answer I put forth was 38, and was told it was wrong, the answer should have been 54. I don't mind loosing when I am wrong, but to loose to someone who does not know the math principals taught in the second grade is infuriating. 2 x 4 = 8. 10 x 3 = 30. 8 + 30 = 38.
Today's math lesson.

L

Lee

Isn't it amusing how people assume that developers, who literally work with and write raw formulas on an almost daily basis, could have gotten such a simple piece of math wrong? :p

Karl Sagan

Grandmaster
Y
I just logged in to refresh my house and was greeted with a message from UO Forever that I had won a random raffle of an ehteral mount.l All I had to do was answer a math question. The math question presented was "2 x 4 + 10 x 3". When i went to school I was taught that an equation presented in this format, the multiplication was always done first, then the addition (PEMDAS - order of operations). The answer I put forth was 38, and was told it was wrong, the answer should have been 54. I don't mind loosing when I am wrong, but to loose to someone who does not know the math principals taught in the second grade is infuriating. 2 x 4 = 8. 10 x 3 = 30. 8 + 30 = 38.
Today's math lesson.

Yeah that sucks I put 54 and now I'm runnin around on this sick ethy! Maybe next month!