Two dumb numbs needing help

loopDboon

So, for those who didn't read my introduction post (everyone) here's a short version: me and my girl want to play Ultima, we know about the story behind the game and its core characteristics. We are in love with the idea. We tried reading guides but we found ourselves troubled with the UOF one (sorry) and the guide from EA is not reliable since it's all enhanced and stuff and we wanted something as close as possible as the original experience (which seems infinitely cooler).

Although, as the title says, we are dumb numbs. So we know little to nothing. We are doing our best, a few companions helped out and a few other player were just as helpful (not true, they asked for gold).

Here's a faithful depiction of me and her in the game:

iDGqBlb.png

So I came here. Now please be patient and talk to us about Ultima as you would with your retardedest child: slowly and carefully, knowing that an answer might spawn many other questions. We really want to get into this as we don't think there's anything similar in the market right now. I'll start with a simple few, but first here's a faithful depiction of our experience with the newby dungeon:

Vju5u8S.png

gzoVv0p.png

5LazUD0.png

I love the skeleton armor and I don't want to part ways with it EVER. Sorry for the delay, here's a few questions FINALLY:

1: what can you do. Yes, I know in Ultima there might not be a real goal, it's up to you and yadda, yadda. But what can you DO. As a little silly billy (aka: young player) what do you suggest starting from, at the very least? Outside of slamming random enemies for the fun of it (we started with a warrior class, thinking it might be the most straight forward).

2: Is there any way to make the screen any bigger? My girl has a few problems with that, wearing glasses.

3: Are there any actual quests that might help introduce ourselves to some of the mechanics of the game? But outside of quests, NPC doesn't seem to have any other interactions outside of buy, sell and train for the most part. Isn't there anyone to introduce you to the lore of certain places or things like that?

4: How does one survive before sprouting in a non-young player?

More specific questions will come in the future. Before I go: sorry if I sound straight to the point and for any weird grammar mistakes. My language is not Eng (I'm Italian) therefore a few things might sound... Odd?

Thanks a lot for reading to this point (if you did) have a grand day!

Sparhawk

Grandmaster
1) the joy of uo, you can do anything! As a new warrior Good starting points though would be to check out the low level dungeons, overland monster spawns, do low lvl treasure maps (I believe lvl 1 maps doesn’t require a lock picker or cartographer), buy a boat and go fishing/pirating, the choices are endless. Your first step though should be to get a runebook and a rune to a rune library. Get yourself some recall scrolls, and in any of the good rune libraries you’ll be able to go anywhere, simply by charging their runebooks with recall scrolls. Most of them are conveniently set out by monster type, dungeons, locations of interest etc.

2) yes try this
https://www.uoforum.com/threads/game-play-window-and-uo-classic-publish-96.93195/#post-702922

3) afaik there’s only 1 quest, only completable while your still (young). There is (was?) a lawkeeper guy in a building north of west brit bank, which gives a dragon slaying quest for in the new dungeon.

4)dying is something that happens to most all players with some frequency, both young and old. Things that will help are being prepared, getting involved in a guild for support, banking your adventuring loot often(so you have less to lose) and making sure you have a runebook with the common runes. you should also buy a ‘ring of forgiveness’ from one of the npc’s Southwest of wbb. This will allow you to say ‘I seek forgiveness’ when you die, (twice a day I think?) and you’ll be insta sent to brit healers. You can also do this by going to the help menu up top and using help/stuck option.

Good news on your love of bone armour, some of the best crafted armour is of the bone type so it’s a look you can rock all the way through the game. Good luck with you and your muscly lady friends adventuring!

Thinkman

Apprentice
My first suggestion will be joining a good community, like a casual RP guild, or a no power play pvm guild. There are many activites can not be done alone, especially if you are a beginner. I highly suggest Trin guild, although I am not in Trin, I share the same alliance with them in as one of the Knight's of Sir.

When you have some people around you things will start happening by themself, like a treasure hunt is going on and you just jump in the action, or you call someone to resurrect you or kill this particular strong monster.

But if you plan to stick to your duo play, many of us started as warriors, and it is still all I do after decades :). There are certain high end activites, like hunting dungeon crystals, killing monster of the months, champion and boss spawns. Little by little you can try these (although it is much easier in groups). You can do level 1 treasure maps with zero carteography and unlocking the chest with 100 magery. It is a fun and actually profitable activity. You can hunt orcs in the orc caves (my favorite as a knight), and they have a good chance to drop skill scrolls(some worth quite a lot of gold).

All these are quests you take upon yourself, the only two actually streamlined quests I know are talisman quest and soulforge quest(or sth. like that). I advise you to check the talisman quest as a warrior duo.

Same thing is true with lore in sosaria, people make their own lore. For example Trincity has it's own lore and history with many player written books in their central library, memorable items and such. They have their queen (which Knights also obey) and families with seperate histories and lores (Like Anduin Family, a group of mages). You can read a lot of these in RP channel in the forums. The guild Trin is still expanding that lore with new things happening everyday. Same is true with the Knights.(You can read a lot about our warwith orcs, and other seperate adventures, and our weekly duels and such). Cove has Los Chucros, similarly a city guild. There are more, I don't know all or half. Many of this lore survived many servers, some groups know each other for a really long time. Most exciting for me is it is still happening as we document out adventures with like minded people.

Go out explore the world, find your own corner of Sosaria, build a cabin in there! Try different things and share your adventures! Give joining a nice guild and roleplay a chance, it is by far the most enjyable thing I did in any game.

Last edited: