Totally random WiFi disconnects & lag in specific locations

lollo

Grandmaster
Hello Everyone!

Some quick premises:

- windows 7 running in bootcamp on a macbook pro
- Razor and UO running in compatibility mode xp sp3, run as administrator
- playing from italy, ping to new server is usually good (considering the distance), ranging from 130 to 150ms avg (20mbit connection)
- Not many wifi networks around my house, just mine and other 2
- very close to router

Ok so here's the problem: Sometimes I play perfectly fine, yesterday for example i farmed destard and shame with almost no lag and zero disconnections. Then in the same session I recall to a rune library and while i browse rune books my wifi disconnects twice, once making me lose connection from UO, the other time just freezing the game for +/- one minute, plus sometimes i have to click on a runebook like 5 times to open it.

2 days ago i logged in, went to jhelom graveyard to train provo and it was so laggy it was unplayable (ping avg was 136ms) and my wifi kept disconnecting for a good 10 minutes. Then i moved to brit west bank and everything was perfect, recalled back to jhelom and wifi disconnected again. Went to bard room in deceit and game was running super smooth. Recalled to another shop/rune library and while i was browsing vendors the game lagged terribly and I had a few disconnects.

I'm pretty sure this isn't an issue with my wifi router (all other devices, ipad and iphone were still connected during the UO disconnects) or even with my laptop, since it always worked perfectly and I can download BIG files or browse the web for hours without a single disconnect.

So it must have something to do with UO or Razor, which will cause my wifi to drop. But how????

This is kinda frustrating, any help would be MUCH appreciated! Thanks in advance!

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
Do you have the UAC up at all?
Are your drivers up to date for WiFi hardware?
Disable visual themes for Razor/UO client?

You might need to add Razor and UO client to your allowed programs on the Windows Firewall.

lollo

Grandmaster
Do you have the UAC up at all?
Are your drivers up to date for WiFi hardware?
Disable visual themes for Razor/UO client?

You might need to add Razor and UO client to your allowed programs on the Windows Firewall.

Visual themese already disabled.

Windows is updated, how can i check for updates specifically for my wifi hardware?

I will check for UAC when i come back home, do i have to disable it if it's up?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to try to help me

jwilkinson84

Apprentice
Go into device manager and look for your WiFi hardware. I haven't really worked with a lot of bootcamp Mac's with Windows installed, so it might just assign a generic driver. Try dropping the UAC all the way down and see if it makes any difference.

kanzo

Journeyman
Same problem from Italy on Fastweb cable connection during same range of time. I suppose was a problem of packet loss... It's possible?

Getty

Novice
I get the same issue in Chicago.
Processor: i7-860 2.8GHz
Vid Card: 1GB Radeon HD 5850
RAM: 8GB
Connecting to a NETGEAR Nighthawk AC1900 (R7000) router using an ASUS AC1900 (PCE-AC68) wireless adapter.

I'm on this thing a lot and nothing has ever caused my wifi to drop like this. I don't actually see the wifi go out, but when I disconnect from UO I also am unable to browse the internet or ping any common sites.

Nobody has found a fix for this??

Maalison

I know this is an old post, but when I googled "Ultima Online disconnecting" this is the 1st site that pops up. After doing some research I've found the problem and possibly some solutions for future people seeking the same problem.

1. If you are on a high traffic router or network is can cause packet loss. The reason for this is quite simple. Ultima Online needs information almost instantly to maintain a connection. If you are on a high traffic router or network some of your information will end up in a "queuing" status. Because the network is full at that moment, it must wait its turn. Resulting in disconnection.

Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this. There are only 2 ways to fix the problem. Increase your bandwidth or decrease the amount of traffic being used.

2. Although highly unlikely, it could be your router. Your router may need to be replaced. Check how much traffic is being used and how much the router can handle. It may be getting maxed out.

3. Software issues.
Update your software (AKA drivers)

4. Finally the most unlikely candidate. Hardware malfunction. You may need to replace faulty equipment.

Conclusion,

I would say the majority of the people who have disconnections for UO are suffering due to the router or network. The 1st steps you should take in this matter is portforwarding. This will help bypass some of the firewalls installed on your router. If this does not fix the issue, try updating your software for you network card, graphics card. and all others you deem worthy. If this still does not fix the issue, think about changing your router. IF the problem still persist, either change your ISP or upgrade your current internet service plan.

As as side note: my problem was a bit different from the above mentioned.

Im currently attending College and live in the dorms. The dorm provides free wifi access to all students who reside in the building (~200 people). We are not allowed to get our own internet through any company unless your tether your phone as a hotspot. Due to the extremely high volume of traffic and low bandwidth, I'm constantly getting disconnected. I ended up just using my phone as a hotspot when I decided to play UO and the school internet for all other purposes.

Wyntr

Master
While we are on the topic, disabling WMM can really help with the packet queue. WMM gives priority to multimedia so things like UO packets are going to be second in line. Another option is two wifi networks, one strictly for streaming and the other all other needs. It really helps with bandwidth control.

Lastly two many wifi signals can cause an issue. Changing the channel your wifi runs on can help prevent random wifi disconnects if you are having trouble.