This Kinda Chaps My Bum...

Laeor

Yes, i speak from personal experience. Young players can get poisoned.

About the Limits. It's 60 hours and 600 skill points. I was a bit surprised because in my memory it was more like 400 points or so on the OSI shards. But even with 400 it would still be easy to farm Shame / Despise with a melee char.

I don't do IDOCs, RDAs, PvP or Champs with my young though and I agree that none of that should be allowed.

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
Yes, i speak from personal experience. Young players can get poisoned.
I didn't have my first experience with monster poison until after I lost my [young], so thank you for the clarification, though that kinda sucks since poison can be a pain at lower levels...stupid snakes.
About the Limits. It's 60 hours and 600 skill points.
60 play hours is a long time, 15 days at 4 hours a day. With the NPD you can probably GM 4-5 skills in around 6-8 hours, leaving 13; 4 hour play secessions, that's a lot of dungeon farming...lol.

bane

Master
I didn't have my first experience with monster poison until after I lost my [young], so thank you for the clarification, though that kinda sucks since poison can be a pain at lower levels...stupid snakes.

60 play hours is a long time, 15 days at 4 hours a day. With the NPD you can probably GM 4-5 skills in around 6-8 hours, leaving 13; 4 hour play secessions, that's a lot of dungeon farming...lol.
I hear ya but I would rather a new player to the shard have a good leg up before experiencing some pain than have them flee us because they feel they can't get established. The cost is that some among us choose to use VPNs to abuse this and try to gain an advantage. I feel that a higher chance of keeping a truly new player (to UO or to this server) is a larger reward than the cost of the exploiters that abuse this.

Hexoplex

Grandmaster
I hear ya but I would rather a new player to the shard have a good leg up before experiencing some pain than have them flee us because they feel they can't get established.
MMOs have this habit of feeling they need to hold the hands of the new players. When did MMOs become helicopter parents?

When I was on OSI back in the 90's, I recall getting PK'd within my first few hours. I was on my way back from the Moonglow cotton farm loaded with like 20-30 cotton guy on a horse ran past me, turned around, killed me, dry looted me, and left me naked in a death robe. There was a ton of 12/13 year old nerd rage happening on my end. Sucked it up, learned how the teleporters worked, and continued on.

Point being, if the thought of losing all your gear to a PK jades you so much that you'll quit, they should be playing World of Warcraft instead. We're all adults here (mostly) as usually kids these days require something that has 1080p HD graphics and run at 75 FPS before they even consider trying it. The way I look at UO is more along the lines of a nostalgic look at my childhood, when teachers could use red pens and the principal had a paddle hanging on the wall for when you got out of line.

bane

Master
MMOs have this habit of feeling they need to hold the hands of the new players. When did MMOs become helicopter parents?

When I was on OSI back in the 90's, I recall getting PK'd within my first few hours. I was on my way back from the Moonglow cotton farm loaded with like 20-30 cotton guy on a horse ran past me, turned around, killed me, dry looted me, and left me naked in a death robe. There was a ton of 12/13 year old nerd rage happening on my end. Sucked it up, learned how the teleporters worked, and continued on.

Point being, if the thought of losing all your gear to a PK jades you so much that you'll quit, they should be playing World of Warcraft instead. We're all adults here (mostly) as usually kids these days require something that has 1080p HD graphics and run at 75 FPS before they even consider trying it. The way I look at UO is more along the lines of a nostalgic look at my childhood, when teachers could use red pens and the principal had a paddle hanging on the wall for when you got out of line.
Well in the 90's I was in junior high and high school. I had all the time in the world. You are right we are all adults with responsibilities. We are here to have fun. No reason we need to make that overly hard on people since we have much less time than we did when we were kids.

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
To be fair, most of us played this game 10 years ago and with the learning curve already high i don't think a small window to relearn/remember is a bad thing.

Young status just needs to throttled back a bit as it does leave them too free for too long

bane

Master
To be fair, most of us played this game 10 years ago and with the learning curve already high i don't think a small window to relearn/remember is a bad thing.

Young status just needs to throttled back a bit as it does leave them too free for too long
that is fair. Although every now and then we get a true UO newbie from the facebook ads. I have helped out 3 so far that never played UO but saw the various ads and were intrigued. It would be cool if there was a mechanism where players could nominate a young for an extended status if they were deemed to be true newbies. It would still open to abuse but those youngs would be under a lot more scrutiny as well. Just a thought. I want as many players on this server as we can. Lots of Unique Players = Healthy shard regardless of ruleset, mechanics, ...etc.

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
well, to my knowledge there was a companion system in place ( or in planning at least) where experienced/ helpfull players could help out young players to get them help and boost them slightly with how the game is played) if im not wrong i beleive @JennaL had this going.

this way true young players could be able to start off good.

I wish i had one even now tbh, played a bit in middle school and started back up now. but still despise and a few dragons are all i know, had to learn fishing and MiBs on my own, although this forum has helped me greatly.

So always recomend the forums, tbh i've learned so much from this thats helped me progress

U-Haul

Master
well, to my knowledge there was a companion system in place ( or in planning at least) where experienced/ helpfull players could help out young players to get them help and boost them slightly with how the game is played) if im not wrong i beleive @JennaL had this going.

this way true young players could be able to start off good.

I wish i had one even now tbh, played a bit in middle school and started back up now. but still despise and a few dragons are all i know, had to learn fishing and MiBs on my own, although this forum has helped me greatly.

So always recomend the forums, tbh i've learned so much from this thats helped me progress

The Companion system has been in place for a long time. It might be difficult to find if they are online though.

Trojandrew

Grandmaster
i had thought they scrapped that, i looked through the new players guide a bit while i tried playing and didnt find anything... maybe its a lack of "companions" or whatnot, but im still in full game to do it.... i coudnt help much but for new players with no clue i could atleast show some guidlines and im sure a bunch of us could as well...

thats why i keep a few of my toons in the new players guild to help when i can while im online

bane

Master
@bane wtb full invul suit w/heater for only 7k please lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is a vendor SE of compassion desert that sells invulnerable plate pieces at 1k per. Also look at my posting history and you will find my buying thread where I bought a ton of invul plate at 1k per. Not that hard to find

Darkarna

Grandmaster
I always knew that young players were evil.... EVIL I tell ya..... With their pleads of innocence, their scheming ways,... you can almost hear their thoughts....

Oh I am sorry... =/

Uofreakkk

Adept
Young player status is good for players new to the server even if they aren't new to UO. Reason being, on many servers I see dickheads who will death gate new players asking for help or repeatedly pk them and res kill them for counts just to be an asshole. Nothing deters new players more than this.. If people weren't dick heads to new players and actually encouraged new players to stay and help them out a young play status wouldn't even be needed.

I know it's uo and uo gives the freedom to be a dick but I don't think people weigh the outcome when they harass a new player that way. Let's say a new player starts the server, farms skeletons and zombies for an hour to get some bandaids a weapon and some armor- goes to bank and asks for a gate somewhere to farm. Then some A-hole gates him in the middle of a ton of mobs that kill him almost instantly while they dispel the gate on him. That said player who says screw it i'm going back to my old server could have potentially brought a lot of new players to the server but because someone with a 10 year old mentality thought it would be funny to take advantage of him being new to server it could stop him from recommended the server.

There is a fine line when someone starts a new server. They will stay on a new server after being griefed if they either (a) already invested time into the server or (b) got to play the server long enough to enjoy it. If you don't let them at least do that the chances of them just logging off and not logging back on is pretty high- Hence the young player status to give new players a shot at testing out the server without getting harassed by idiots.

Systems are placed in games and society because some people lack the common sense not to do it. Even then people break laws every day.. some people are just that dumb.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cack

Grandmaster
I honestly came here because I thought the title of the thread was funny.
Me too if not misleading. I wanted to see some chapped bums.

Anyway that armor and keep isn't even that good. That's the kinda thing I use to dump on the battle well.

Salty?