Thief Template for Out of Town PVP Help

Balthazsar

Neophyte
Hello,

Back after many years off from UO. First character I've been working on is a PVP style Thief that is flexible enough to travel out of town and survive or thrive in dungeons and the wilderness. Obviously, this is a challenging Template and I understand it really hinges on being specific about the playstyle I'm trying to achieve. I've considered a dedicated town Dexer/Thief with no magery or resist, but I'm afraid I'll get bored of the town grind.

Here is current template for my DEXER/THIEF...

GM Stealing
GM Snooping
GM Fencing
GM Tactics
---
80 Hiding - I'd consider GMing this, but the template I'm trying to create requires a delicate balance and I'm not sure I can affort it.
80 Healing
80 Anatomy
(+240) 640 total
---
30 Magery - I've added this so I can do some basic recalling to aid in overall mobility, but I'd be willing to drop it.
30 Resist - Resist is obviously the most important things for anykind of PVP or play out of town and currently, I get owned fast by mages.
(+60) 700 total

I guess I'm wondering what is the minimum resist I can have to soften the impact of mages to at least withstand their initial dump without going down? I could bring up Resist to 60 without messing with anty of the Hiding/Healing/Anatomy, but perhaps even that isn't enough.

Ultimately, I want a Thief who is strong enough out in the field to not always have to run away, but I realize this character as speced won't be up to par in a 1v1 PVP Arena fight against a solid dedicated PVP Mage or Dexer. Perhaps it would be better to dedicate this thief to town fighting and drop Magery/Resist completely and create a Mage Thief for out of town play?

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Radar

Neophyte
You could forget magery if your just wanting to recall - you can just buy a runebook and recall scrolls for that. 0 magery required.

There's my first piece of advice. Then with 80/80/80 you could roll with better resist.

I think raising healing to 95 so you never fail bandages is a good idea. With no mount stamina, you can always get a little space to get a bandage off. That might negate the need for much resist. Hiding is very helpful for that as well.

I want to make a field and dungeon thief like this, but I'd like to be able to stealth.

Bromista

Grandmaster
I think raising healing to 95 so you never fail bandages is a good idea. With no mount stamina, you can always get a little space to get a bandage off. That might negate the need for much resist. Hiding is very helpful for that as well.

I want to make a field and dungeon thief like this, but I'd like to be able to stealth.
Are you sure that you won't ever fail a bandy at 95 even with several finger slips? I fail at 90 occasionally and am bumping it up to 95 or GM depending on where the cutoff for fails is. I guess I have some testing to do.

Shucky

Novice
To be a decent thief, you need very high snooping, stealing, hiding and stealth. To be a decent dexxer, you need very high weapon, tactics, healing and anatomy. Rather than melee, consider magery, meditation and evalint. You could sneak up to people to steal their regs, then go sneak up to monsters with decent PvM ability. Remember, to steal from players you have to be in the Thieves Guild, and you get suspended from the guild if you kill anyone. Stealth thief and pvm mage is about the most you can spread things out without nerfing either.

Glad I came across this. Currently working on a thief but couldn't figure out where i wanted to go with him. Looks like another vicious grind to gm mage is ahead of me.