The "End the Docks Trading" Thread

Drake Roberts

Grandmaster
Not sure if this directed towards me or not? I never QQ'd about shit. I made a very simple and somewhat educated observation and a recommendation. I have always said I hated the duel pits in general, but I am not asking for the entire pit to be removed. I am simply saying that the trading rules in it are a little BS.

It wasn't directed at you. I am actually in favor of removing trammel safe zone trading areas.. but like others have said.. there is a lot of balancing issues that would need to be considered..

I am actually pretty sure the trammel safe zone trading area was added, in part, because of constant forums QQing and people paging in about every day UO occurrences.

I think the real issue isn't that thieves are so over powered that they need to have safe zone docks to offset their over poweredness.., but that players are too lazy to take it upon themselves to safe guard themselves against thieves... You can freaking use regs, pots, arrows, etc, all from within a locked/trapped box... You can also throw things into these boxes without setting them off.. People are just too lazy to protect themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wrexx

Grandmaster
If you took away the docks as a safe zone then players would just use guard zone vendors. I agree vendors have a slight chance to get the item stolen, but with some smart tactics you can make it 100% safe.

Bromista

Grandmaster
Agree with Drake. Laziness of thieves, laziness of people who want protection from thieves, and balancing issues pretty much gaurantee the docks existence.

Lavos

Master
I am for the removal of the docks for two reasons:
-Other city banks will actually be used instead of feeling kinda empty
-Thieving is a profession that caters to new players, and will help them get started in the game

I really hope this thread is not viewed as whining/negativity - this is purely constructive criticism. Maybe put it up for a vote?

Nexumi

Neophyte
I agree, the concept of safe trade zones its weird to me. The point of UO is the risk, we don't make dungeons safe from PK's...

StarBaby

Grandmaster
I think what it boils down to is that the people that are honest and work hard for there belongings want a convenient place to transact without having to run around the world or meeting in private houses.. while the lazy people that don't want to work for anything, don't want to miss out on any high end items...
All I ever hear is your a trammy and your all a bunch of cry babies.. when its usually the pks and thieves that do most of the whining,

Amsterdamaged

Apprentice
I think what it boils down to is that the people that are honest and work hard for there belongings want a convenient place to transact without having to run around the world or meeting in private houses.. while the lazy people that don't want to work for anything, don't want to miss out on any high end items...
All I ever hear is your a trammy and your all a bunch of cry babies.. when its usually the pks and thieves that don't most of the whining,
So, you are telling us you are too lazy to "run around the world or meeting in private houses" and for that you want legit ultima online play styles such as the thief and the pk to be castrated. Nice..

And btw how turning in bods or recall to whatever spawn you farm is less lazy than bank thieving or pking? My guess is that you dislike those particular playstyles so you want TRAMMEL

Malkraven

Grandmaster
Without the dock there is no way to be 100% safe with trades. On the other hand it is 100% safe for a dual client thief to steal a expensive items get whacked and loot your corpse before do and be 100% safe from any type of retaliation. You cant guard whack em u , cant kill them, you cant do anything.

how is that not trammy

i say fix it so thief cant be 100% safe after a dual client steal and then remove the docks....

Lavos

Master
Most of the thieves I've seen are newer players. The people that benefit from the safe docks the most are the 1% who trade expensive items all of the time. If anything, removing dock trading would help newer players out more.
Regardless, this game was made so that your items are susceptible and rarely 100% safe. This is why, for instance, sets of crafted armor/wpns are expendable. They are meant to be lost. A lot of people here feel like the docks go against the one of the core elements that made UO so popular.

i say fix it so thief cant be 100% safe after a dual client steal and then remove the docks....
This I think is the best solution so far

StarBaby

Grandmaster
Once again, nobody wants Trammel.. its the reason most of us left UO to begin with. one area dosnt a Trammel make.. you have vendors, dungeons, banks. the world is your oyster... you want to be a pk or a thief more power to you.

On second thought, ya! do away with the Trammel zones if it will shut ya'll up. but, I doubt it. :)

Removing the docks will only hurt the poorer and less experienced players that cannot afford a house or a vendor spot or be cautious about purchases from other players.

If there were no docks anymore I would just sell via vendor and buy via vendor only.

In my mind it is simple as that.

Safe trading I'm sure was not the intended reason for implementing that zone.

Disable the bank there I suppose. But then u have 10 guys crowding the gate area all day trying to steal someone's goodies.

Then u just go to your bank and run to the docks with the item in your hand instead of in your back pack.

Any change to the docks doesn't really change anything significant. The only real change for this that would really actually change anything without a workaround would be a total removal of the docks.

All I ever hear is your a trammy and your all a bunch of cry babies.. when its usually the pks and thieves that do most of the whining,

Lol, let's be real for just a second. Being a thief is hardly lazy -- It's incredibly more difficult for a thief to get lucky with a good item as it is for a tamer or provoker to get said item in the first place.

StarBaby

Grandmaster
Lol, let's be real for just a second. Being a thief is hardly lazy -- It's incredibly more difficult for a thief to get lucky with a good item as it is for a tamer or provoker to get said item in the first place.

I guess the biggest difference is one dosent harm anyone in the process...

Bide the Wiccan Law ye must, in perfect love and perfect trust.
Eight words the Wiccan Rede fullfil; An' ye harm none, do what ye will.
What ye send forth comes back to thee, so ever mind the Rule of Three.
Fallow this with mind and heart.
Merry ye meet and merry ye part. ;)

StarBaby

Grandmaster
I like to think I treat others in game as I would in real life..
guess some of you are really just assholes ;) lol

Lexington

Grandmaster
There is no problem with thieves stealing high value items at spawns, dungeons and even at the Brit Bank if players are too carless to protect them... but when comes to players trading items worth millions in gold there should be some sort of protection. Protection for the buyer that is as the seller has protection, vendors!! That being said the safe trading area of the dock will never be removed... If it was the intent of the developers to have every item at risk they would not be making the new docked boats blessed. The writing is on the wall guys and gals.

Amsterdamaged

Apprentice
Everything that is allowed through game mechanics is ok to do. There are no moral values on a video game so things like "honest and hard working farmers" and "lazy thieves" do not apply. All these are legit playstyles. Do not confuse reality with the game.